buying spot prawns

oh you guys are good!!!! now i might just say $%#@ it and grab a couple traps.....what is the worst that could happen i catch nothing then buy some on the way home anyways! so then for a total rookie what should i be looking for? from what i have read they seem to be between 250-300ft but do i look for rocky bottoms? points, bays, tide changes?.....i have no idea i am just a rookie. any help would be appreciated. not looking for your honey holes but just maybe some advice to lead me in the right direction.

Don't let me talk you out of getting some traps and going for Prawns!

It's a lot of fun when it works, and there is nothing like sitting down to a feast of fresh caught and cooked Prawns.

When you pull your first trap full of Prawns, be sure to try one fresh - just break the head off and peel the shell away and eat it raw. No sushi bar ever has Prawns this fresh! [:p]

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

When you pull your first trap full of Prawns, be sure to try one fresh - just break the head off and peel the shell away and eat it raw. No sushi bar ever has Prawns this fresh!
Prawn flavoured butter!!

And the head is the best part! ;)

When you get up there ask around. That inlet is a target area for commercials so there are a lot of areas that hold prawns.

WH.jpg

so i went out today and purchased 1300' of 1/4 inch rope but that is about all i can get in kamloops for my prawn traps. all they have here are crab traps. do you guys know if river sportsman in cambell river has all the other stuff i will need? bait, traps, weights, floats...ect.? we stop there every year on our way up. i know i could probably find a better deal for stuff if i had the time but that store is perfectly located for a quick stop. or should i be ordering the stuff online? i doubt the store at winter harbour would have everything i need.

River Sportsman will hook you up with all thats needed,or you could call Redden Net in Campbell River or Hardy, they will no doubt have used Commercial traps for sale...
just a little advice, use heavy traps(commercial style),or weight them down well,depending on where you put them Quatsino Sound has some good currents that can pull your traps around,
use good sized floats(no boat bumpers[V]) with name and ph# on them,
you won't have to deal with the commercial guys as the just finished up with their 2 mths of fishing them up there..hope they left you some
cheers and good luck,

quote:Originally posted by spring time

the most mistakes people make is not enough rope

hence the "good sized floats"..
was up there a couple years ago with a group of guys,they set out a trap,went to check it,was not where they left it[:0], we found it floating around the tip of Drake Island:D across the inlet,

sounds like he got lots of rope(1300ft) for a couple traps, but good advice for sure....

thanks for all the info guys! heading up on the 16th-22nd:D

Back