buying spot prawns

J

jjmoffett

going up to winter harbour on the 16th of july and returning on the 22. does anyone know of a good place to buy some prawns to take home? i dont feel like searching all over the island preferably an easy stop on my way back down to the ferry in naniamo. oh yah and how much should i be paying per lb.? any advice would be appreciated.

if your on the mainland just go to the fishermans warf in false creek I think they sell them there but the season ( I think ended yesterday )

so then i assume no fresh ones for us:( thats okay frozen would be fine just as long as they from b.c.:D

Comox wharf, generally 3-5 pm. Not sure if they will still be available in a couple wks though ?

Usually you'll be looking around 20 bucks for a block frozen 1lb tub of tails.... Give or take a buck or 2

Here's a # to call, the Fish Sales hotline !!

(250) 339-6041

Prawns did close yesterday, so might only have frozen available then. Shrimpers are still at it.

Theres a commercial prawn fisher south of Courtenay on the right hand side. I believe he sells in frozen blocks. Not sure of his prices though. He has signs out.;) eman

There is a local prawn guy in the Comox Valley. Al Ricards is his name he has sold prawns around the valley for years. He is $5 a bag cheeaper then Maniac's suggestion. For large prawns Aprox 40 or so per bag tail only $15. I buy almost 100 bags a year from the guy.

Best deal I have ever found, unless you know a native fisherman.

250-338-0495
alaina-j@shaw.ca

You really want to buy Prawns that are frozen on the boat. They are better than fresh - unless you are on the boat.

The problem with fresh Prawns is that they start to degrade after about 15 minutes. That's why the Prawn boats freeze them as soon as they come out of the traps and get sorted. They have a freezer plate they drop them on that freezes them almost instantly, then they get boxed.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

You really want to buy Prawns that are frozen on the boat. They are better than fresh - unless you are on the boat.

The problem with fresh Prawns is that they start to degrade after about 15 minutes. That's why the Prawn boats freeze them as soon as they come out of the traps and get sorted. They have a freezer plate they drop them on that freezes them almost instantly, then they get boxed.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg
.....Yip. A lot of tail tubs are frozen after they cant sell them fresh. Some guys do it right away which is way better quality. Look at the shell..... the redder the bedder ;)

thanks for the info guys! i thought about prawning myself but paying for the traps, the line, the bait, and then figuring where to drop them seems like too much of a hassel for a 5 day outing once a year. is prawning easier than what i have read? because if it is i might give it a try. i just have a limited amount of time and dont mind messing around with traps if there is a chance of moderate success but being an absolute rookie i dont know. what would you guys do? buy them or take that money invest in traps and giver a go?

quote:Originally posted by jjmoffett

thanks for the info guys! i thought about prawning myself but paying for the traps, the line, the bait, and then figuring where to drop them seems like too much of a hassel for a 5 day outing once a year. is prawning easier than what i have read? because if it is i might give it a try. i just have a limited amount of time and dont mind messing around with traps if there is a chance of moderate success but being an absolute rookie i dont know. what would you guys do? buy them or take that money invest in traps and giver a go?

Depends where you are fishing, and how much experience you have...

First of all, the costs:

New Commercial grade trap: $45 - $60 ea.
Used Commercial grade trap: $20 - $30 ea.
1200' Rope for traps (300'/trap): $60 - $100
Float: $10 each.
15 pound cannonball weight: $30 ea.
Clip on weight for floating line: $5 ea.

Potentially $130 per trap.
X 4 Traps per person - $520 + TAXES

Add fuel, time, and lost traps to the equation...

At $20 per pound of whole Prawns, you'd have to catch 26 pounds just to break even on the traps.

You are limited to 200 Prawns per day, 400 per trip if away from home.

You could go to the Boathouse Restaurant in Vancouver and tell them to bring you Prawns till you puked, and you would be further ahead.

On the other hand, it is fun to catch them, and they are great to cook up and eat freshly caught.

If the experience is what you value, then go for it!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Hi Jim, The animal in the video you refer to as a Squat Lobster is a common name given to the Galathied Crab (Munida quadrispina)
http://www3.telus.net/kerryw/creature/galith.htm
I have seen these crabs scuba diving hanging out in cloud sponges where I have photographed them. I have also eaten them ...somewhat like eating Louisiana crayfish - actually quite good but very small so hardly worth it.

Also one comment about comparing cost of prawning to get your prawns vs buying them - if you don't consider the time and work of the hunt at all fun, why waist your time (and money ), buy em .

then why do we fish or hunt, it would be waaaaaaay eazier and cheaper to go to the butcher are the fish market. Oh what I know why because we all love doing it. it's a hobby or way of life of course it is cheaper to go and buy them but not as much fun. but once you get that spot it will be worth it. it's the look on your kids face when you bring up that trap

Back