Browns Bay Chum Derby

We were out to Deepwater Bay yesterday as well. There did seem to be a lot of chum finning and porpoising all around but with only three strikes (one was definitely a chum) and only one fish to the boat (a gently released wild Coho - beautiful chrome) it was frustrating fishing. Really nice day on the water though.

All green flashers, light blue and pink squirts, short leaders and all three hits at 50'-60'.

Talked to the BB marina today they still report a DEAD slow fishery ~~~~,but your fishing experience could differ as always . Going to be easy to win prize in the derby just caught a fish

Only one strike yesterday, and we landed it...a 24lb chum[:0]! A few bars and bite marks but still a shiny silver. Biggest chum on our boat. Three killer whales made an appearance and finished off the day perfectly:D.

Again at 60', blue and pink squirt, short leader (18") behind a green flasher.

Scooter

Holy cow there Scooter. 24lb. Thanks for the report. May be up there to try my luck on Saturday. Will report if we have anything to talk about.
GLG

Scooter do you recall what tide/time you got that beauty?

61266_1619810622004_1438584019_31654489_7610745_n.jpg

Probably at 2:10 or 2:15, right at the slack of an ebb tide, but very little water moving all day. As usual, we were gonna pull the plug at 2pm but stayed a little longer. It was closer to Quadra near the RCA boundary line.

Scooter

Zip, nada. Did not fish that long. Just fished the high tide swing in the afternoon at Green Seas and then off to Deepwater Bay.

GLG

fished deepwater/ sep head area yesterday. Was really good during the last part of the flood, then died off.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Great news there IFL.
I can say for sure I was not there when it happened.

My moorage may be come available. I have no plans on going if there is no fish. I am not going to have friends from Vancouver come just to wash lures. Them fish have just a couple more days to show up.

Fingers Crossed...

I do understand there is a waiting list for moorage spots.

I am out...:( Somone will get my spot once the marina opens tomorrow..A :):) for someone...

I will be fishing Kitty, prawning, or hanging out in the river.

Good luck guy's.

I realize that not all these fish are bound to the same natal river, stream, creeks what have you, but when they are closing down rivers like the chilliwack/sumas/vedder to retention of chum's...CHUM salmon that is a bad sign on how poor this return is.

I also read on a DFO posting that this years chum return had a freak accident where heavy rains flooded the spawning grounds and wiped out a ton of the eggs from a run that was basically spawned out already.

We might still go out, not to participate in the derby but maybe just saturday for the day or sunday. But I agree these fishing reports suck! Especially when the fishing when it's on is very comparable to pink fishing or sockeye fishing when the numbers are there it's just chaos but these fish fight much harder :D.

Anyone want my moorage?? it's up for grabs as they want a $25 cancellation fee.

What gets me is they have a waiting list...

3 nights...Thurs. thru Sunday

Moorage has been given back to the marina. And yes I had to pay $25 to cancel do to it being the derby weekend.

Some one on the waiting list just got a spot.

Good Luck,

that is SAD..
that they are charging you a cancellation fee WHEN they have it sold as quick as hanging up the phone.. AND you gave them lots of notice.
VERY bad business practice in this small sportfishing community IMO!

62802394477903127812153.jpg

Also part of why I'm not going this year Carolyne.

They've been steering that whole derby in a different direction for a couple years now, last year having the whole bbq area gone finished me off.

Givin out free scallops just didn't make them happy...

Have fun those that go, good luck!

Gimee the gaff!!!

Back