Browns Bay Chum Derby

Is all 3 days participation necessary? Id love to go for it but I doubt I'd be able to get a crew together for all 3 days. Plus I need to fernegle the time off.

Are drop ins allowed? Is there an entrance fee?

quote:Originally posted by Heavyc

Is all 3 days participation necessary? Id love to go for it but I doubt I'd be able to get a crew together for all 3 days. Plus I need to fernegle the time off.

Nothing really goes on the first day. Usually people will head out for a test fishery that day (Friday) The big ticket is Saturday and Sunday.

Reel Chaos

quote:Originally posted by Heavyc

Nothing really goes on the first day. Usually people will head out for a test fishery that day (Friday) The big ticket is Saturday and Sunday.

Reel Chaos

No moorage spots left at Browns Bay that sucks....

kittyjuly1409055-1.jpg

Got my ticket yesterday, and now I have 1 definite and 2 maybe's to join Team Rock Ridge. Fittin to work up a Number 6 on them Chum-dogs.

61266_1619810622004_1438584019_31654489_7610745_n.jpg

Called up to Browns Bay today to confirm my moorage and camping. They confirmed that all the moorage is booked, as well they told me there is a cap of 500 Entries into the Derby and they are already over 400!

That being said they said they have put some Derby tickets with a couple of local tackle shops in Campbell River.
Either way it's filling up fast!

Boats run on Gas, not Thanks!

Cant get the truck that weekend so wont be able to fish it this year [xx(] Im going up thanksgiving though and will give a report. Gonne miss the gongshow

i source is that they cancelled all commercial fishing in the strait do to lack of fish it looks that way for the fraser too!

Sadly the fishing is probably gonna suck big time.

This year of the rotation is always weakest, and they seined the hell out of it both of the last cycles if memory serves...:(

Have fun anyway those who do it, fishing was always kinda secondary for that one.

Gimee the gaff!!!

We'll be heading out there as usual this weekend, smoked salmon is my favorite and can't beat a chum for the smoker.

But they are estimating less than a million fish coming threw so obviously not enough to justify any commercial openings but really they just hammered somas/fraser sockeye all summer why would they need chum too?

Wonder if these fish get caught up in the alaska commercial trolling season too as I read a commercial fishing forum and the trollers said they had a fantastic and chaotic year for both chum and coho in SE alaskan waters.

The latest news:

Plans to close Johnston Str. Chum fisheries (TBC
>> Oct-07)
>>
>> FYI: SC staff are planning to announce a closure of Johnstone Strait
>> (J.S.) to commercial chum fishing. For those who haven't heard, test
>> fishing and fishery catches to date are showing poor chum returns
>> through J.S. Further to this, model assessments of these catches
>> currently indicate a run size of chum salmon migrating through J.S. of
>> less than 1 million. Based on the Pacific Salmon Treaty chum salmon
>> agreement, commercial chum fisheries in J. S. are suspended when an
>> abundance estimate of less than 1 million chum salmon migrating
>> through J.S. is identified. There will be some further review and
>> discussion regarding this plan on the Chum WG call tomorrow but at
>> this point fisheries for commercial fleets (Area B SN/Area D GN/ Area
>> H TR) will close as scheduled with no further openings currently
>> planned.

Can you buy tickets/reserve tickets directly from Browns Bay Marina or do you have to go to a Campbell river tackle shop? I have looked on the BB site and havnt found anything. For chum fishing is it like a 8:00 AM bite or is it earlier like sockeye. Also heard that Chum dont bite when the skies are overcast or rainy. Is any of this true?

based on my limited experience (last year's derby)...if they're around they bite all day rain or shine.

won't be at the derby this year but we're heading up this Sat/Sun with a couple boats...reports are pretty quiet. Might have a couple spots open on one of the boats if anyone's interested.

Just got word that 8 seine vessels in 4 areas from Chattam point to Robson Bite doing a test fishery for chum yesterday caught a total of 18 chum!! The one at chattam point caught 1 chum!!!! There will be no further commercial chum fishery and we are looking at a dismal derby this year!!!!!

SWC

I do the Fishing, God does the Catching!

I will be out this upcoming Sunday to troll on some dead water. Hope there are a few fish around for the derby this year.

Reel Chaos

Spent a few hours out at Greensea today. Good news, huge numbers of chums rolling in the calm water, brought home two beauties and shook a half dozen more. The bite was good for about 3 hrs around high slack, then it slowed. Green flashers/pink hootchies (small and large)/ short leaders. Half a dozen boats at Greensea and everyone was catching.

Moved to Deepwater after lunch and had gunwale to gunwale fishing for a couple of hours. 2 dozen boats, lots of fish rolling and splashing but only saw one to the net.

Maybe it won't be as dismal as the test fisheries say.

Oh yea. If Chuck Norris killed you he could resurrect you with his tears, too bad Chuck Norris doesn't cry!

Back