Boat Trailer

• Thread starter Thread starter reel easy
  • Start date Start date
R

reel easy

Time for a new trailer, starting to rust in spots where galvanizing was thinner or something, question is which is better, Roadrunner, Eazyloader or Highliner or is it same-same. Anybody tried disk brakes, less moving parts and can deal with salt water better? Can't skimp when all stuff we love is going down a logging road.

I personally prefer the Roadrunner. Seems to keep the boat cradled lower therefore the lower centre of gravity. Mine is an 18' boat and only have to sink the trailer to just below the bearings to launch. I would recommend staying with rollers too, stay away from the carpet covered 2X4 runners. I have serge brakes, like most metals, Saltwater = Rust.

The boat I had before I moved to Alberta had a roller trailer...moved back to the Island, now have a trailer with bunks. I absolutely love the bunks. Back the trailer in so 1/4 of the bunks are dry, drive right on...loads straight and level every time. I can load my boat in under a minute...nice when there's a line-up. I only have a 17' boat, so I can't vouch for how it works for a bigger boat.

roadrunner then eazyloader, highliner have a thinner galvanized coating from what i learned working at a dealership that sold them.I like roadrunner but because they have the see thru oil filled hubs, but all three may use that option now. Disks are the way to go, they use aluminum calipers and are easier to rinse out.

I had a Roadrunner for a 17ft boat with bunks and now a Eazy Loader for a 18.5 ft boat with bunks and surge brakes. The Roadrunner was a few hundred bucks cheaper with metal fenders. The Eazy loader has heavy plastic fenders, I think better lights and hardware. I found the wiring on the Roadrunner needed TLC whereas I have not had a problem with the wiring on the Eazy Loader. I think the Eazy Loader might be slightly better quality; however, both are great trailers. I prefer bunks as I think it distributes the weight better than rollers.

Ahhhh, the joy of living on an island and having to use your boat every day.... except for service our boats never leave the water. (okay there was the one time when I ran out to grab a few oysters and anchored it a wee bit too shallow and had to hitch a lift home from a passing boat and then go back and pick it up 4 hours later when it was floating again)

Trailers, highly over-rated, who needs em :)

I had my boat 20 ft on an eazyloader with rollers good trailer , upgraded to roadrunner roller/bunk combo love it great trailer but wish i had disc brakes . good luck choosing .

Thanks for the input boys, the BC made roadrunner with disc brakes,rollers, and a power winch (boat is 3000# alum. when loaded, including the beers), sounds like the way to go.

Do you guys all winch your boats onto the trailer? I did until I bought this boat with the bunk trailer...will never go back. I guess it may not work with all boats.
Just curious.

I don't like to back my truck into the chuck so the bunk style is not for me, although the bunk is easier on the hull.

On a few occasions when the tide was unexpectedly low at the ramp, the winch has saved my bacon by lifting my boat onto the rollers and the trailer. [8D] Same thing going in. No way you could do that with a bunk stlye setup.

Valid point Red. Some ramps are pretty shallow. I have a long trailer, and only use a few different ramps, all of them are deep. Never even get my tires wet. The ramp my dad and I used all the time when I was a kid was way too shallow, and a winch was required.

I launch a boat that is very shallow so I had a freind build me a 8 foot extension that hooks bettween the trailer and the truck it is really slick. Can any boat use either kind of trailer(roller vs bunk). I have alway had rollers but it sounds like most of you really like the bunks.

Hey Reel, I'm in the same situation as you. I want the Road Runner. If your looking at buying soon send me an email and we'll buy at the same time and save a little more cash. Shoot me an email.

Back