Best campground marnia poll

casper5280

Crew Member
I would like to know what people think is the best place?The place must have moorage,salmon and hopefully halibut fishing.I would hope that this place be nice for the people who like to stay in camp.My vote would have to be China creek.It is very clean,great ramp and moorage.I would like to hear other people best places.Thanks

What the Port Renfrew marina/campground lacks in facilitys it makes up for with the excellent fishing.
This marina is also at a disadvantage because of the location, until recently they did not have fuel. Because of its hard to reach location it lacks electricity/water etc but the owners do there best to compensate by having things shipped in.

What the Port Renfrew marina/campground lacks in facilitys it makes up for with the excellent fishing.
This marina is also at a disadvantage because of the location, until recently they did not have fuel. Because of its hard to reach location it lacks electricity/water etc but the owners do there best to compensate by having things shipped in.

I have fished Port Renfrew since the days that it was a gravel road to get there.I would have to agree that the fishing is hard to beat.However in the last few years the Port Renfrew Marnia has gotten worse and not better,yes I know that they put in new outhouse's but that is all they have done.
This year's trip there is what prompted this poll.I take great pride in my boat,it may not be the best boat out there but it clean and safe.On the frist day there I noticed that the guides cleaning fish were throwing the halibut carcasses across the wharf and spashing people who were there to see the days catch(very unprofessional).We were waiting to get fuel and the fish guts were hitting the boat, after that we filled jerry cans and filled the boat at the other end.The next day there was a boat getting fuel that was over filled and fuel spilling all over into the water,people on the dock smoking and my daughter informed me later that a elderly lady had slipped by the cleaning tables and almost fell in to the water.That night people camping next to us,were telling us how the "regulars"at the north end of the camp were dumping there raw sewage right into the river.After that we never cleaned a fish in the marina,they were all cleaned while we were pulling are crap traps.In the five days we were there we talked to quite a few people that said they would not be coming back.I know that all of this could be chalked up to a bad fishing trip but the fishing was fine.The campground always seems full and the owners seem to turn a blind eye to it all.I know that my family has told me that they will not be coming back there.I may return but it will be with the "boys" and not the family.

I have fished Port Renfrew since the days that it was a gravel road to get there.I would have to agree that the fishing is hard to beat.However in the last few years the Port Renfrew Marnia has gotten worse and not better,yes I know that they put in new outhouse's but that is all they have done.
This year's trip there is what prompted this poll.I take great pride in my boat,it may not be the best boat out there but it clean and safe.On the frist day there I noticed that the guides cleaning fish were throwing the halibut carcasses across the wharf and spashing people who were there to see the days catch(very unprofessional).We were waiting to get fuel and the fish guts were hitting the boat, after that we filled jerry cans and filled the boat at the other end.The next day there was a boat getting fuel that was over filled and fuel spilling all over into the water,people on the dock smoking and my daughter informed me later that a elderly lady had slipped by the cleaning tables and almost fell in to the water.That night people camping next to us,were telling us how the "regulars"at the north end of the camp were dumping there raw sewage right into the river.After that we never cleaned a fish in the marina,they were all cleaned while we were pulling are crap traps.In the five days we were there we talked to quite a few people that said they would not be coming back.I know that all of this could be chalked up to a bad fishing trip but the fishing was fine.The campground always seems full and the owners seem to turn a blind eye to it all.I know that my family has told me that they will not be coming back there.I may return but it will be with the "boys" and not the family.

C.S. where would you suggest?I'am quite willing to try any new places on this beatiful island of yours.

C.S. where would you suggest?I'am quite willing to try any new places on this beatiful island of yours.

I would have to agree with you Casper about the fishing cleaning tables and the poor up-keep of the docks etc. I guess its the fishing that keeps people coming back for more. That drop off on the ramp is brutal as well.

I would have to agree with you Casper about the fishing cleaning tables and the poor up-keep of the docks etc. I guess its the fishing that keeps people coming back for more. That drop off on the ramp is brutal as well.

Sad to hear of Post Renfrews state. Its been a couple years since the Smiths owned it and back then was a very nice place to camp and fish out of....Alot more preasure now but you'ld think that they should be interested in making sure their clients all return next year.
Too bad...
For my money I think Port Alberni is awesome for camping and fishing.
and Critter Cove for boat ins at $135.00 per night for a cabin that sleeps 3 just can't be beat..
I'd love to hear more about Quatsino....

boc

Sad to hear of Post Renfrews state. Its been a couple years since the Smiths owned it and back then was a very nice place to camp and fish out of....Alot more preasure now but you'ld think that they should be interested in making sure their clients all return next year.
Too bad...
For my money I think Port Alberni is awesome for camping and fishing.
and Critter Cove for boat ins at $135.00 per night for a cabin that sleeps 3 just can't be beat..
I'd love to hear more about Quatsino....

boc

I agree that the Port Renfrew Marina/RV Park is going downhill. I thought I should point out, though, the forest company that owns the land has been threatening to not renew the lease for the operators for the last couple of years, and that is why there have not been any improvements.

Paul

I agree that the Port Renfrew Marina/RV Park is going downhill. I thought I should point out, though, the forest company that owns the land has been threatening to not renew the lease for the operators for the last couple of years, and that is why there have not been any improvements.

Paul

I to know of the lease thing, but the raw sewage thing,the problem with the guides and other things don't cost Bud and Rex a thing and go a long way to improve the place

I to know of the lease thing, but the raw sewage thing,the problem with the guides and other things don't cost Bud and Rex a thing and go a long way to improve the place

You're right, there. As I was reading the post about the sewage thing, my wife was cooking a couple of salmon steaks from PRM. It kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm for a salmon dinner. I think I'll be cleaning any future fish I catch on my boat, in the bay. I've always been a little hesitant to spray my fish with water from the river anyways, just because of all the carcasses laying about there. They have a big tub there at the main cleaning station where all the carcasses are supposed to go, but, as you pointed out, the guides don't seem to pay much attention to it.

Paul

Edited by - lpaulcarter on 08/29/2004 20:13:06

You're right, there. As I was reading the post about the sewage thing, my wife was cooking a couple of salmon steaks from PRM. It kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm for a salmon dinner. I think I'll be cleaning any future fish I catch on my boat, in the bay. I've always been a little hesitant to spray my fish with water from the river anyways, just because of all the carcasses laying about there. They have a big tub there at the main cleaning station where all the carcasses are supposed to go, but, as you pointed out, the guides don't seem to pay much attention to it.

Paul

Edited by - lpaulcarter on 08/29/2004 20:13:06

I'm not familiar with where "hell" is,but we were told the campers north of the office.I could care less where it was coming from they are not to be doing it anyway.As for cleaning the fish we now clean are fish as we catch them.We gill them and bleed them,then gut them.We drag them beside the boat till we are ready to come in then put them in bags and into the fish locker till we are at the dock and than into the cooler.They stay cool all day they are completely clean and no mess in the boat.I must admit that I have a washdown pump on my boat so this makes it some what easier to do,but it is the best money I have spent on my boat.For anyone who doesn't have one they are a great thing to have on the boat,keeps the boat alot cleaner and less work when I get home.
I would like to hear more about the fishing in the Gold River/Nootka Sound area as I think this is where I may go next year.Mainly what I need to know is the places to stay.If people have any other fishing spots that they think are clean,well run,and good fishing I would love to hear about them also.These places need not have hook-ups as my camper has never been hooked up to anything in fifteen years except my truck anyway.

I'm not familiar with where "hell" is,but we were told the campers north of the office.I could care less where it was coming from they are not to be doing it anyway.As for cleaning the fish we now clean are fish as we catch them.We gill them and bleed them,then gut them.We drag them beside the boat till we are ready to come in then put them in bags and into the fish locker till we are at the dock and than into the cooler.They stay cool all day they are completely clean and no mess in the boat.I must admit that I have a washdown pump on my boat so this makes it some what easier to do,but it is the best money I have spent on my boat.For anyone who doesn't have one they are a great thing to have on the boat,keeps the boat alot cleaner and less work when I get home.
I would like to hear more about the fishing in the Gold River/Nootka Sound area as I think this is where I may go next year.Mainly what I need to know is the places to stay.If people have any other fishing spots that they think are clean,well run,and good fishing I would love to hear about them also.These places need not have hook-ups as my camper has never been hooked up to anything in fifteen years except my truck anyway.

Back