Barkley Sound Questions?

T

tunaorlater

I will be heading up to Haggard Cove in Barkley sound this comming weekend. I was wondering of anybody had a fresh report or could share a little local knowledge of the area (what to use, areas, etc..)? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

We fished Swale last thursday and outside on friday.At swale we hit about 30 shakers and one that was legal but went back.Outside is spotty.If the shakers are still around bring lots of chovies if thats what you use?

Tunaorlater - Here ar a few things that you might want to try when fishing that area. We usually start with four different types of bait/lures and see what is getting the hits. We start with a Tomic Plug either in green, pearl, or blue (on one of the deep rods). We put a Purple Haze Hootchie with a green glo flasher (11") on the other deep rod. On the top rods we put an anchovy with a Purple Haze teaser head and another green glo flasher. On the other top rod we put either a green and nickel or blue and nickel coyote spoon (size 5.0)with a green glo flasher. All of these setups have been hot at one time or the other. You never know what will work. Whatever is hot at the moment may not be hot in a few hours. Be ready to change quick and often. Some other things that we use are Coyote spoons in Army truck and Cop Car patterns. At times, pink glow hootchies work well. You will also need to vary the length of your leader. When the Coho are biting I usually use short leaders, for Springs I usually use a little longer leader. If you talk to the guides at Haggard's Cove they can usually tell you what is working best at the moment. Good Luck!

Thanks for the input! I'm really looking forward to our trip up there and I will post the results when we get back.

I've spent a week in late August in Barkley Sound for the last 5 years so I have some insight. I'm not a local, but you may find this helpful.

We've found that the Springs in Barkley Sound like a faster troll. There have been several days at Pill Point where we outfished the boats around us 2 to 1 simply by trolling faster. Everybody was using the same stuff, but the troll speed seemed to be the difference. We're lapping people with our trolling speed and slaying. It's pretty funny actually.

90% of the time we fish with 60" leaders, @ 2.5 to 3 mph, between 25-50 feet deep. Don't bother trying to drag the bottom in Barkley. The fish are all in the top 50 feet of the water.

We've experimented quite a bit with flasher colors and it doesn't seem to make much difference. We usually settle on purple, green, or chartreuse, but it doesn't seem to make much difference.

For the first couple of years we trolled anchovies in teaser heads pretty much exclusively. The last 2-3 years we've started using Coyote spoons. We're now at the point where we may not use any meat at all this year. Why bother messing around with meat when the spoons work so well?

The killer Coyote spoon last year was the "grey ghost". It's a very unassuming little spoon that is just bare grey metal. No flash to it at all. In fact, it's kind of difficult to believe that it catches fish at all! Our guide at Murphy sportfishing put us onto it and it slayed when we were fishing with him in June 2005. It was awesome in August 2006. Hard to find but worked amazingly well in both 4.0 and 5.0 sizes.

The other spoons that we've had success with are the army truck, cop car, and the pearl ones (name?). I think that the chrome and green are also pretty good bets.

To be honest, when the bite is on they all seem to work pretty well.

There is a definite first light bite that lasts for 20-40 minutes. If you sleep in you are likely missing out on 1-3 fish in the box.

If there is one thing that will guarantee success it is watching the guide boats. Go where they go. If you see 4 - 5 guides go flying by then its not a bad idea to follow. Binoculars are good for seeing what they are using. Monitoring the VHF and listening to guide banter is also a great idea.

Tuna,

Teamchachi's info is right on. One thing I would add is to take some white hootchies with you (the ones we use have red eyes). Several years up there we have almost exclusively used the white hootchies and slayed them. I run leader length of 42" - 48", maybe 54" occasionally. I always put a small strip of herring fillet on the inside hook. Not sure you need it in Barkley but it's what I'm used to doing here. Now with that said, the white hootchies didn't work for us last year (rare). The bait fish (pilchards) were thick and huge last year. We found bigger bait, 6" spoons and 6"/7" plugs worked best for us.

Thanks to everyone for there posts. Lots of great info to learn from.

Slabby

You guys sure your not in cahoots with the tackle company!!! (Just Kidding) I thank you all for the outpouring of information (my local tackle shop thanks you all as well). I picked up a few of the coyote spoons that you guys suggested and some of the purple haze hoochies (white, mother of pearl). I also got some berkley gulp bait strips that I was thinking of cutting into strips vs. herring strips. They have the strips in shrimp,herring and anchovie. I picked up one of each to try. Thanks again for the info. I just hope that they are in thick next weekend...

Hmmmmm, I've never seen the Berkley Gulp bait strips. Interesting idea. Probably would stay on longer than the real thing. Now you've got me running to the tackle shop.

Hope you have a great trip! Please come back and let us know how it went.

I'm jealous. I have to wait until August 21st before I get to head up the west side of the island. Barkley Sound is one of my favorite spots on the planet. Its a really addictive spot. If I could figure out a way to do my job (IT Geek) on the west side of the island I would...

Teamchachi - I will be there that week also. Staying at China Creek. Barkley is also one of my favorite places on earth! I will make the trip every year until I'm unable to travel. Hope that's many years from now.
Tunaorlater - With all of this information you can't go wrong! Hope to hear a favorable report upon your return. Good Luck![8D]

We've been staying at China Creek for the past 5 years for the last week in August. Every day we'd hop in the 17' Whaler and run down to Barkley. At first we stuck to Pill Point and Diplock because it was close. We eventually got a bit more adventurous and would just run an extra 30 minutes and we'd often find ourselves at Cape Beale, Kirby, Bamfield Wall, etc.

My Dad just retired and bought a 34' flybridge (Tollycraft) so now we're going to base ourselves out of Ucluelet and then just follow the fish. If fishing is good out on the banks, and the weather cooperates, then thats where we'll be. Love it out there - much less crowded. Otherwise we'll probably head over to Bamfield and fish inside.

I only have a 19' boat so I usually don't venture out unless it's extremly calm and another boat is going. It's just not worth it. But those times that I have gone out to 5 mile & 7 mile the fishing has been excellent. By going at the end of August we usually have no problem finding our share of Springs inside. We go back again in September for the Coho. Lots of fun!

Off to BArkley sound today, camping at China Creek for 3 nights and hopefully catching some big springs and a couple Halis off 5 or 7 mile, Will post upon my return. If your out this way say hi if you see me I'll be in a 21 foot Grady center console named 'Knuckle Buster" Can't wait!

SWC

Good Luck Cowboy! Hope to hear a good report when you return.

I was just reading the thread on "Hot choivy set up for Nootka". It sounds like the water temperature there is near 70 degrees inside.

Those that have been fishing in Barkley Sound, what are you finding for water temp? If it's that warm won't the fish sit offshore rather than come inside? When we were at Bamfield 3rd week of August last year the water temp outside the harbor was upper 60's. The fish, for the most part, were holding offshore in the cooler waters. I wonder if we are in for a repeat? Anybody else share that concern?

Good point Slabby, temp in Alberni inlet is 70* Kirby was 68.7 and fishing is SLOW. It's all off shore right now. Temp is 60 at big bank buoy.

Hello, I just got back from Bamfield. I toko a charter out to Cree island on July 24/2006. We were into 8 fish !!! I think we did better than most. I only saw two other fish being brought in. The weather prevented us from venturing offshore. The Princess (puker) boats where all out at Cree, Mears bluff and Kirby attesting to the bad weather offshore. A buddy of mine recently went offshore though. He was into 20 flatties in 3.5 hours !!! There seems to be a plankton bloom occuring right now in Barkley Sound whenever this has happend before I have noticed that the fishing drops right off. I don't know if the fish try to aviod this type of plankton that blooms in July there, but it would make a lot of sense. It would seem that the plankton bloom usually ends at the beginning of August or so and the fish return in great numbers!

I just started running charters out of Bamfield on a new 25'Boston Whaler and am almost completely open for the month of august!!! Just in time for the prime fishing time. I expect to book up rapidly for this great month of fishing, so if you are interested in getting out there let me know, I would be happy to to book you a trip.

Rob - I'm sending a fellow Yank your way right now. You should hear from him shortly. He will respond on your new post. Looking forward to seeing your reports. I will be up there the week of the 19th. Hope to see you there.

I posted a bit more info on about Barkley Sound on the thread Bamfield fishing reports.

Anyone been out off Swiftsure Bank latley? If so how was the fishing there? I fished swiftsure last year and did very well. Even catching the springs I think are Alberni fish. The ones with the yellow spot on their belly.

Back