Bamfield spring/summer reports 2010 - halis & spri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back now from Broken Group 5 days.
Came home a day early, slow for fish and lots of fog...which means that it will be on fire tomorrow and clear skies!
Ever noticed that if you go when it is hot then by the time you get there it is over?
I've always thought that a person should go when reports are slow, then get there in time for the positive change.
Smiley.
p.s. did notice more guys wearing PFDs than usual - great to see!

inshore there were no salmon.
Only mackeral. Mackeral, and More Mackeral.

Offshore was okay, but not on fire, with more fish coming from the further banks.

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

inshore there were no salmon.
Only mackeral. Mackeral, and More Mackeral.

Offshore was okay, but not on fire, with more fish coming from the further banks.

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

heading to sunshine bay for 5 days,, any salt ice in bamfield? i wanna fill the hold;) thanks,,

share the harvest

quote:Originally posted by salmondude

hey guys im headin up for my anual trip to seabeam on the 20-23. any reports from the inside or are all the fish out deep still? kirby widlestone?
hey salmondude. myself and j-global will be up there the same time at seabeam. riding his 22 aluminum starcraft.make sure to say hi, maybe share info go offshore or whatever

any recent reports? heading up tomorrow until the 22nd.

salmondude and morganic, we are staying poett nook mon-fri, then in bamfield harbour with Hawkeye marine group for the weekend... maybe we will swing by seabeam for a pint?

Just wondering guys...are there any places to eat besides the Hawkeye Pub and corner store place?Looking for something different..bringing the Wife up this weekend;) On the fishin side of this post,it sounds quite around Bamfield[unless one ventures offshore]BUT I hear 12 miles south of ukey is red hot...so it might turn around by the 20th[:p]

Just got back from Barcley Sound with 8 other guys and four boats. Fishing was none existent inside so went to the Rats nose on Saturday and limited on low teener springs. Went to Hiesen bank this morning played 20 plus fish in 3 hours kept 6, biggest was 30 pounds and smallest was 14 pounds. Total for our crew of 9 over 2 days was 32 springs. Ocean has been nearly flat calm for 2 days. Tommorrow morning is supposed to still be calm but picking up in the afternoon. If you can swing it go to the Hiesen bank of off Long Beach

Autumn Ty-ee

Fished out of Bamfield from the 9th thru the 14th. Didn't go way outside as I have never been there and don't want to travel alone on my first trip to Big or South Bank. We fished 5, 7 and 10 mile on two separate days. No Springs just a few schools of Coho with a large majority of those being Wild. Managed to bring back a few Hatchery fish. The highlight of the trip was back to back double hookups at Kirby on Friday morning (around 8:00 a.m.). The first double worked out well for us. We got both fish in the boat. One 18 and one 20 pounder. The next double (around 8:30 a.m.) didn't go so well. Hooked in to a really nice Spring on the bottom rod and a few seconds later there was a hookup on the top rod. The fish on the bottom rod was peeling line then all of a sudden it went slack for a moment and then I felt a very strong pull going in toward the shore. That line crossed with the top line and enabled the second hooked fish to release. No matter, I still had this very large fish on the bottom rod and he is really taking line. All of a sudden I look out on the surface about 100 yards away and I see this Seal with my plug in his teeth! He had grabbed my fish after I had played it for a minute and had basically torn it apart and had the front part in his mouth with my plug still stuck in the fish's jawbone. Eventually, after a chase that lasted a couple of minutes he spit out my plug which was still attached to the remains of a jawbone. Judging by the size of the jawbone it had to have been a 25 to 30 pounder. It was a pretty frustrating experience, given that we had to work so hard for our fish. Anyway, we found the Springs to be suspended just off of the bottom. We never tracked any large schools just a few here and there. What was working for us were the Tomic 500 plugs with a few black dots added to make it look more like a Pilchard.
Tight lines!

Great trip Aug 12-16 in Bamfield with five of us in my father-in-law’s boat staying at Woods End Landing.
12th evening on the Wall with no luck.
13th a little choppy. Went out to Rat’s Nose and got five small hali, a low teen spring and a decent coho. Evening at Kirby and Fleming with no luck but a couple Mackerel.
14th to South Bank for 4 springs before it quieted down. Then used our best intel to find Starfish after the tide change - and yes, there were 100 boats out there. We kept hearing stories about the big ones out there but we didn’t see anything huge caught. A McKay Bay guide told us there was a 51 and a 63 caught on Sunday – who knows? We got one shy of a limit up to 25 lb. plus a few nice coho and were on of the last dozen boats to leave around 5:30. The amazing thing was the weather – like a bathtub and hot.
15th straight to Starfish for a limit by 10:15 and a few more coho. There weren’t even any swells, it was so smooth. Tried SW Corner on the way back for hali but no luck. Saw a short, nice breaching show on the way back in. Kirby that night trying to fill our our possession limit with no luck.
16th we were leaving and planned for 5 mile. It was foggy and windy and we got nothing, so we tried Beale on the way back and filled our limit with a small one.
Springs were from the low teens to 25 with most in the high teens. I’ll try to post some pics soon. About half were whites like last year but they seemed even softer than usual. I talked to folks using guides who didn’t limit, so we felt pretty good. Springs and even coho had huge pilchers in their stomachs. We had good luck with Coyote/Flasher at the first part of the trip and then used our herring and anchovies in helmets for most of the rest.
It was a great trip for us. Several people on the boards were very helpful to us as were guides up there and other groups… so thank you to all. If I can provide more details, feel free to PM/email me from the board. Met one party from Alberta who trailered a 22’ open bow lake boat out the logging roads and went out to 21 mile without a good GPS or downriggers – glad they made it out and back in one piece! We’ll probably head back next year, so please keep posting. I’d still like to find out where the gullies are and how to fish 5 Mile for hali. Hope the fish inside and the big coho schools outside come in soon for the folks still out there. Good luck!

Great report. Not to pick at it but from what i read you limited on the 15th went back in then tried to get another that night at kirby. Thats a no no. There are set daily limits.

"Everyone" doesnt do it.Your a poacher if you do.Heres a few pics from 2 wks ago i just got from a trip. Mixed hoes, halis and feeders

bam.jpg

bam2.jpg

Kelly

Nice pics , Is that Islamic Grass [:eek:)]..

My Report from Poett Nook Wa/Usa ..[:0]..this past weekend..

Inside , still Scratchy , but a few around , I believe if ya were to hit all the popular spots for a pass or 2 , ya would eventually find sum fish , most were tight lipped at the tables , lol,,whatever,,

Outter Beale and Kirby had some consistent fish on Sunday and Monday , overall , hit n miss , here more fish were caught with anchovy's over gear..

Outside ,

Our banks of -6-7-10 were fairly quiet , a few fish , We had 3 hali , 1 Sock , wild released 10 lb coho on Sunday, in a hour n a half, Slower

This would be Jeff's Report , we were just lucky enough to tag along in our boat , but , Outter SB , UKI , Saturday Morning, WENT OFF , I can't explain the Kaos, ,, , again , Thanks to Jeff ( Islamic one ), will never.. forget this ..;)..thx bro..
all on Large Plugs , Spoons , Thanks to the boys at PNT , go see Rob , he'll fix ya up . Rob , all the gear ya hooked me up with , KILLED ,gave one to Osama as well , did not see flashers all weekend , 50 - 70 feet , GONG show

Coho almost non existent compared to last year , hope they show soon , Rats nose was good for smaller Springs , 6 -12lbs , a few larger , also alot of smaller hali..

Couldn't have asked for a better weekend , Flat like p on a plate , no fogust , our thermometer hit 38 sat afternoon at the nook , Eowch

Some pics
hot n flat
sum dolphins around the boat
pair o whales
Nish's Boat
A few fish

enjoy

FD,,;)

PoetNookAug2010366.jpg

PoetNookAug2010495.jpg

PoetNookAug2010284.jpg

PoetNookAug2010524.jpg