Bamfield spring/summer reports 2010 - halis & spri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished July 27,28 and 29th. 6 spings from 10lb to largest of 25lbs. Seems the only area that was decent was Mears/Cree. Slower than last year but still fish out there. Appears Bamfield this year is doing better than most areas as always consistent fish to be had.

They now have some decent anchovies at Poett as when I got there they only had the bag/bulk ones. I almost cried as this was some of the sadest looking bait I have ever seen. Not even any tails on them.

/fishon

DOF, I don't know what you were doing or who's boat you were watching but we were leting fish go one after another on Sat. from Kirby to Diploc. Don't watch for my net as I never even used it. I just used the gaff.

I used my sonar thingy and seen the fish at 160-180 feet so I went after them and limited out. NO BAIT USED all fish caught on rubber. There seemed to be bait for sale every place we stopped at.But I didn't buy a single pack.

I only made it to the outside Friday evening for a couple hours and grabed some chicken meat for the freezer.It was far to choppy for my little boat on Sat. Wish I had brought a third person to help out as I can't stand only have two people of board in rough waters.

When we got there we were told the white springs had just rolled in. But all of our fish were red fleshed.

I am heading back tomorrow morning(Tues) till thursday.

I would have to say fishing was GREAT. I can't wait to get back out there.

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

DOF, I don't know what you were doing or who's boat you were watching but we were leting fish go one after another on Sat. from Kirby to Diploc. Don't watch for my net as I never even used it. I just used the gaff.

I used my sonar thingy and seen the fish at 160-180 feet so I went after them and limited out. NO BAIT USED all fish caught on rubber. There seemed to be bait for sale every place we stopped at.But I didn't buy a single pack.

I only made it to the outside Friday evening for a couple hours and grabed some chicken meat for the freezer.It was far to choppy for my little boat on Sat. Wish I had brought a third person to help out as I can't stand only have two people of board in rough waters.

When we got there we were told the white springs had just rolled in. But all of our fish were red fleshed.

I am heading back tomorrow morning(Tues) till thursday.

I would have to say fishing was GREAT. I can't wait to get back out there.

[:0]

good for you...we were only at Kirby from 9-12 and it was dead...

Just wondering how the Bamfield Tourny went this past weekend?

MM

Sunday Afternoon 5 mile - lots of small springs (under 10 lb) and shakers and coho, didn't keep any.

Sunday night at Kirby - 21 lb Spring & 8lb Coho.

Monday morning at Kirby - saw a couple small ones brought in, I spent an hour out there (no action) and headed in for repairs.
Monday afternoon Beale to Bamfield, one trip. 2 small springs, a bunch of shakers, and 25+ Mackeral. Every spoon and every hootchie had makerel. Basically going from side to side releasing mackeral all the way back. LL released 2 good hits. Fricken Mackeral.

Today 2 hours at Whittlestone this morning 2LL releases. 1 spring about 10lbs. A couple of equal/smaller ones released. Then the Mackeral showed up again and I packed it in.

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

quote:Originally posted by steve41

Hi guys, I havn't really fished the banks but I hear alot about 7 mile bank and South Bank. I am staying in Bamfield July 21-27th I have my own boat and would love to try fishing out there. Would anyone mind sharing the co-ordinates to get out there? I'm not looking for your favorite spots or anything just a general idea how to get out there and I'msure I can figure the rest out...

Steve summed up what I wanted to ask quite well. However, I plan to get up to bamfield in the second week of august. Sounds like the fish are coming in but I wouldn't mind a back up plan for the springs or place to try for some hali if weather permits. As steve said not looking for your hot spots, any pointer would be great.

Cheers guys thanks for all the reports can't wait to get up there.

Shaun

Hi Shaun

Here are some suggestions

7 mile.........48-43-00 125-20-00

10 mile.......48-40-930 125-27-288

Hali......48-30-410 124-58-183

Cloud

Just head out off Cape Beale 240 on your compass first group of boats 5 mile,secound group 7 mile, 10,14 and so on.It's amazing all that water but it's easy to find the Fleet!

Thanks for the update Bod, think i met you out at Bamfield just before the tourny, was with Osama that day. We discussed your Hali experience.

MM

hows the fishin right now? has the wall turned on yet? I'm going over on 13th for a week:D cant wait! I want to hear some good reports on the inside. will have my wife with me and she don't like off-shore (unless it's sunny and flat).
some buddys of mine fished the wall last week and got few fish, one was 31lb

Just got home from another trip yesterday. We had a great time. Started out Tuesday night and wondered where the fish had gone. But come Wednesday morning they were there in good numbers. We were fishing a line from beale to cree and were catching Sockeye,Coho,Halibut and Springs. Can't complain about that. In the afternoon the water flattened out and we headed offshore and had a great time catching Coho right on the surface.Fished Thursday morning put a few more nice ones in the box and headed home. The biggest in the box was 32lbs caught by Laura. Lots of fish in the high teens and high twenties.

All fish caught on rubber 95-180 feet down.No bait used.

Inside sounds pretty slow but trolled an hour at kirby and got one low 20s. We went outside with osama and lotsa nice hos/feeders to 15lbs. Got our halis to 30.

trolled 1 pass bamfield to the cape.
No boats on the wall. Maybe saw two others on the way then a group out at Beale.
Lotsa Mackeral, again - 8.
2 small springs released, both near whittlestone.

Couple of shakers.
About 2 hours on the water.

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

my dad is fishing right now. I called his cell last nite at 6:30, he was fishing the wall. had to hang up because they got a fish on. he called back 20 min later and had one near 30lbs in the boat! sounds like the fishing getting good on the inside. they got a few teeners as well.

my parents are going kayaking in the deer and chain group next week and wanted to try trolling for salmon what kind of spoons/plugs would you recommend for fishing barkley especially flemming, kirby pnt areas? i suggested the cop car spoon maybe a coho killer and the 500 and 602 plugs

quote:Originally posted by JuBy

my parents are going kayaking in the deer and chain group next week and wanted to try trolling for salmon what kind of spoons/plugs would you recommend for fishing barkley especially flemming, kirby pnt areas? i suggested the cop car spoon maybe a coho killer and the 500 and 602 plugs
1-Plugs-can't paddle a kayak fast enough to make a plug work-unless it's a jointed Rapala or the like-try a watermelon Apex 6' behind a 4 ounce weight instead.

watermelonapex.jpg

2-Spoons-I'd go with a Tom Mack but anything flashy should work.
51183.jpg

That being said Coho are few and far between-they have little chance and make sure they aren't dragging anything through an RCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back