Bamfield spring/summer reports 2010 - halis & spri

Status
Not open for further replies.
My report from the weekend.

Hali group in for Sat/Sun.

Managed our limit on Sat with fish up to 50lbs but had to work a looonnng day to get them. A few lost as well, more than average by far.

Decided today would be chicken day as the bigger ones seem to be a bit more spread than they were. Off to the banks to see if they had moved up and...

NON STOP ACTION on fish 12-20lbs.

Were releasing those just lip hooked and keeping the gut hooked because they were coming so fast. Still limited and done 3 hours early.

I didn't salmon fish at all, but some of the guys were and I'll leave that end of the reporting up to them!

I'm not booked next weekend! Someone get it, it's gonna be a winner I think.

Haggards - Mills Landing on the west side sells salt ice.

Gimee the gaff!!!

Heading over the 20th or 21st for 4-5 days. Tired of waiting on the weather to get any better. Our group will most probably be small,2 or 3 boats and 4 - 6 guys.
I'll have to remind the rest of the guys to bring their rain gear as two of the dough-heads came unprepared last trip.
How is the close bank fishing. I haven't ventured out to 23 mile,stayed at 3 or 7 mile and only on nicer days.
Still a hali rookie so will have to learn how to clean a hali without screwing it up.
The guys had them done the last by the time I got the boat cleaned up and ready for the next morning.
Looking forward to this escape more than you can know!!!
Think I might even leave the cell turned off.;)

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

Had a good weekend.Weather was good a little lumpy Friday for sure.We had a hard time finding any salmon Friday afternoon,Only managed one keeper from Pill. started at the whistle boy but got too snotty so moved in.Saturday morning was bottom fish day.We had lots of action with yellow eye and lings then finally after a couple hours we got a 45lb hali.tide change was coming but the Puke started flowing for the boys from the interior first. Had one on each side of the boat chumming hard. back to dry land for them.Trolled around at whistle boy and Kirby for the evening with no Love.All in all was good times and great weather.

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

Fishing for Springs is killer offshore and the Trollers are done at noon Monday :D

Made a long haul and fished off Long Beach on Saturday. Lots of springs and a limit of hali's. Today on the the 7 mile a few Springs and Coho and then switched to the bait rod's for hali. Quick bunch of fish.
These fish are moving fast and who knows what the next few days will be. If you are willing to travel and find the "spot" there are a ton of fish.
Inside near Bamfield has been slow the last few days. The banks are the place to be right now.

www.rockypointcharters.ca

Here is the report for the rest of the weekend:

Thursday: After the 4 in the morning from Pill Pt. we took the kids back out there after dinner and got 3 more.

Friday: We went out to Beale and fished for a bit, had a few smalls lings right away, but it was pretty nasty so we came back in and enjoyed the sunshine (and wind) for the rest of the day.

Saturday: Back to Pill Pt. for the morning tide picked up 3 springs. Went back after dinner and got 2 more.

Sunday: Back to Pill Pt. again, this time at first light, well worth the early wake up, easy limit of 4, and back to the Nook.

Finished the trip with 16 springs and 1000+ prawns. Had a great time fishing with the family this weekend. Good time to take the kids with all the action.

All fish were at Pill Pt., fist light if definitely the best time, but fishing around the tides was good too. 120 ft with Army Truck hootchy or 50/50 Blue-Nickle spoon.

Now is the time to get out there!

BT

thanks for the report!!

countin down the days till my short trip. canttttt wait. just love to get out there. have the fish been getting larger since they first showed up or has it been pretty steady?

Fished between Pill and Diplock yesterday. 7 hooked on Zur Trol UV Solid green between 110-130 ft. Landed 3 nice ones. Caught the last one on Green/spackleback hootchie at same depth. All bites between 10:30 and 11:30.

Great day

Trying to get accomodation from June 20-24 or 21-25 in Bamfield for 6 people with 2 boats. Seabeam is full, maybe Mills Landing has room?
Any other options I might look at?

IAFF Local #18 (Vancouver Fire Rescue)

Heading over Thursday afternoon to Saturday afternoon. Staying on the boat, likely at Poett. Maybe see a few of you over there?
Ch.6 (old 22' Trophy hardtop)

pic_JE2-2.jpg
Hi everyone, we spent the weekend halibut fishing Sat-Mon and it was pretty good. We had to move the anchor around a couple of times to find them, but we got both boats limits everyday that we were out and mostly chickens to 45 lbers...tasty coolers of fish. The jigging was decent, one day we got 6 in 1:15 min but most of the time we had to work for them and put in more hours. Couple of dogfish starting to show up too. We fished 7 mile for a couple of hours after hali fishing on Sunday, but it was Windy and snotty and not productive, so we came inside. There were a couple of trollers working the south end of the 7 mile bank, so there must have been a few there, but not for us.

Salmon fishing dropped right off inside at the Whistlebuoy and Edward King, but we got good reports from Effingham and Sail. A couple of other Bamfield guides were fishing offshore between Uke and Tofino and did pretty well on halis and springs. We fished Meares Bluff for an hour on Sunday on our way back in from hali fishing and got a 20 lber there, but only that one fish. Another buddy fished 2 morning slacks there and got 6 and 4, all <12 lbs on bait, 60-90 feet. After we left Meares we fish Kirby for half an hour and picked up a 12 lber and lost another to a very experienced seal...hopefully he will meet his maker soon.

Sail was producing good numbers of larger fish, the UKE charter boat fleet was over there on Monday and reports were coming in of fish in high 20's...so they're here!

Couple shots from last weekend :)

Ryans first salmon from the ocean

29320_1253493630892_1636098133_5725.jpg
[/img]

Second time up from bottom

29320_1253498271008_1636098133_5726.jpg

Dry land for the pukers,looking no worse for ware next to there catch.

29320_1253498711019_1636098133_5726.jpg

Hope they had as much fun as I did :D

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

Great forum, 6 of us with 2 boats are headed to Port Hardy from June 27 to July 7. Any info on prawn trapping would be great as no one in the group has done that before. Any thoughts on Halibut or anything else that swims would be welcome....... thanks for any help and I hope to see some of you up there...

sturgeon, this is a Bamfield forum, if you want Port Hardy info than you'll have to search, or just start a new thread.

-millsy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back