Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

Ya venerable enough to die on mass, birdie. I think the only ones conveniently forgetting that are Northern Harvest...

I guess this is where I am supposed to type "LOL" - but somehow - I don't find it as funny...and to be honest - I don't know why anyone would.

I laugh because you clearly don't have much to support your idea of isa in bc. That is all. If it was here atlantic salmon farms here would be showing it and they aren't and you can't admit it. You just cant. Its not about the fact its about you. You just cant admit that there is little to support your idea that there is isa in bc. You just cant. I know it hurts.
Suck it up.

Opened a new thread - just for me? Gee thanks, Stephen. Very kind of you.

Think I'll stick with this one. I'll tell you why:

This story is not finished, yet. It's just starting. The ISAv story is the real story here. It has yet to be fleshed out.

At first my suspicions that there might have been an ISAv outbreak that was covered-up rather than a warm water die-off was attacked by the FF pundits that troll this forum.

After the real story ISAv story broke - or was just acknowledged - Dave - to your credit - apologized for being wrong in attacking me for that. Thank you Dave - that was both mature and professional.

So - the issue around parasite and disease transfer and amplification since the methodology for growing farmed fish uses the "Open" net-cage is unresolved - as are the issues around lack of appropriate oversight and disease reporting since the promoters of the industry are also it's protectors and boosters - is also unresolved.

I agree that Gerry Byrne is a fool, and not an effective spokesman for the industry at this point. I also consider him to be a dangerous ignorant and egotistical fool - and is supposed to regulate the industry & protect the public's resources rather than respond with antagonism and belligerence. It'll take more than ten news articles to change that situation - which is my focus.

I know it is likely frustrating to FF pundits when the messaging goes off script - like ISAv and Gerry Bryne and this latest debacle - but this is - as I see it - an opportunity to highlight what is wrong in regulating this industry - the same things I have been saying for some years now. And I will keep doing so.

Maybe it is better to just end your attempt to distract from the issues I keep pointing-out before you wind up getting kicked out. That is your decision as to what you want to do. You are a smart guy Stephen. You'll figure it out eventually. I have faith in you. Make no "bones" about it...
Cool. I guess if someone poses a question that has salmon ranching in it, we can accept that you shouldn't be the moral authority and have them kicked off to another thread either. What's good for the goose is good for the gander? Seems like only the anti-FF crowd can do that. I have no beef with you posting the article about the issues on the East Coast, just your propensity to post essentially the same article over and over. When we can learn something new, all for it. Posting several links to the same interview is tantamount to spam. How about we get back on topic.

Since no anti-FF advocate can answer any question, I can only assume there is either one of two reasons: The answers don't fit the story they are telling or they are working for an adgenda that doesn't allow them to. I reject that science can't look in both directions. It is not dissimilar to when climate change activists attack scientists that present evidence contrary to their story. They attack the individuals personally and hope that the science is forgotten or ignored. That is when politics and not science is all that matters. Same here. I guess if AA is going to kick me out for asking questions, well, that is his prerogative. I assume he is one of the gents in charge. I still don't understand how any of my questions are offensive but I certainly have received a hostile response from a few of you.

Kicking me out of the forum still doesn't answer the most basic question: how did we get our salmon runs back. Maybe there are other forums or threads more interested in solving issues like that. What did AA mean by no "bones" about it?

My guess is he thinks you are a fellow given the boot a while ago for asking questions like yours ... his moniker was bones.

Ship that can wash sea lice from farmed salmon now on Vancouver Island
image.jpg

Mowi Canada West, which operates Marine Harvest fish farms in B.C., says the Aqua Tromoy, shown in a handout photo, is the most technologically advanced vessel ever to serve the Canadian aquaculture industry. (The Canadian Press/Handout)

The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, April 23, 2019 11:00AM PDT
Last Updated Tuesday, April 23, 2019 7:10PM PDT
CAMPBELL RIVER, B.C. - A huge vessel capable of offering what is described as “fish friendly health treatments” to farmed salmon is now at work for the largest Atlantic salmon farming company in British Columbia.

Mowi Canada West, which operates Marine Harvest fish farms in B.C., says the Aqua Tromoy is the most technologically advanced vessel ever to serve the Canadian aquaculture industry.

The Polish-built, 77-metre vessel, which launched last year, can hold 3,000 cubic metres of water, the equivalent of eight Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Cermaq recently applied for government approval to use a new pesticide to combat the lice.

Mowi says the ship is an important tool in its pest management strategy, partly because it can lift farmed salmon from their pens and bathe them in fresh water to remove pests such as sea lice.

Mowi's managing director Diane Morrison says the Aqua Tromoy allows the company to proactively manage fish health in an environmentally friendly manner.

The ship is currently moored in Duncan Bay, just north of Campbell River.

The Aqua Tromoy has triple the capacity of any other Mowi vessel, Morrison says in a statement.

"Onboard reverse osmosis systems ... can generate ... fresh water from sea water to fill the holds in 24 hours," the release says.

"Atlantic salmon are lifted aboard from farm pens and immersed in the fresh water, which is harmless to the fish, but removes sea lice and other saltwater microbes and parasites that do not tolerate low-salinity water well.”

Before the water is pumped back into the ocean, it is passed through filters to capture and retain any parasites, the company says.

The diesel-powered ship, carrying a live-aboard crew of nine, also has an on-board water treatment process, while the engine system uses urea to reduce nitrogen oxide pollutants in exhaust gases.

Mowi Canada West employs 600 people and operates salmon farms and processing plants in Surrey and on eastern Vancouver Island, the Broughton Archipelago and central coast, producing 45,000 tonnes of Atlantic salmon each year.

Campbell River fish lab receives international recognition
Local Campbell River fish health laboratory, the BC Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences (BC CAHS) has officially attained International Standards Organization (ISO) accreditation, meaning the lab is now certified to the worldwide standard, according to BC CAHS CEO Dr. Jim Powell.

“Four virus assays (detecting procedures) — including Piscine Orthoreovirus (PRV) — are now conducted to a recognized international standard,” Powell says. “This assures all salmon resource interests that our work is conducted to the highest standard and the results are accurate and defensible.”

It’s not that they’re doing anything differently in their testing than they were before, Powell says, it’s that their results are now considered incontrovertible.

“Anybody in the world can send us samples now and the results are defensible in court, meaning it’s been monitored, it’s been reviewed, and it’s been adjudicated by a third party,” Powell says.

The standards are such that samples being tested in the Campbell River lab are tested by more than one scientist within the lab – using the same machines to negate the possibility of the equipment being used being a factor in the results – but that they also are independently tested at another lab somewhere else in the world – and the same results are found.

“It also signifies that our staff has taken a certain amount of training and that training has been documented,” Powell says. “And the third aspect is that our management and quality systems have been tested, documented and approved. The public can trust that accurate and defensible detection of viruses such as PRV is available.”

“It’s only logical that when you report on viruses affecting salmon, that the procedures are done to the highest standard,” says BC CAHS lab manager Garnet Martens. “It took years of preparation, training and documentation to achieve ISO/IEC 17025:2017 accreditation, but it’s worth it. Now our clients know that our results are reliable, relevant and trustworthy according to the international standard requirements.”

So what does that mean for “Joe Public,” who probably isn’t looking for a place to test fish?

Well, Powell says, with B.C. witnessing alarming declines in wild salmon stocks, everyone should be concerned and want to know that places like the CAHS is doing its part in the fight.

“Knowing that the tests we’re performing, the results we’re publishing, and most importantly, probably, that the fish that we’re testing that are going into their local waters are tested to that international standard for those viruses, that’s important,” Powell says. “What this gives us is confidence from the public that when we’re testing fish, we’re investigating that. That’s what we can do; that’s our part in the recovery of salmon. What we do well is look at fish health, and if we can solve a piece of that puzzle by producing the best quality information in fish health, we will.”

And that’s not all their doing in their attempts to get the best information available. The BC CAHS was also recently awarded a grant through the BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund to create a wet lab facility here in Campbell River to allow them to eliminate another variable from their testing.

“It’ll be an on-land containment facility to test exactly what we’re talking about here: the impact of diseases on salmon recovery,” Powell says. “The tanks will be under controlled conditions so we’ll be able to eliminate the environment as a factor in what we’re trying to explore.”

Powell says there are a lot of things to be worked out still, including a possible location – other than the fact that it will be in Campbell River – “but we are hoping to cut the ribbon on it in June 2021.”

Watch the Mirror for updates on the wet lab when they become available.

Improvements are good. Thanks for posting those links, Dave. Must've been quite the investment for Mowi to build the Aqua Tromoy. It does also indicate the problem that FFs are having w Slice-resistance lice that have developed thru FFing operations. Wild fish do not have that level of protection that the farmed salmon do, however. No Aqua Tromoy's for them.

Some interesting articles on the wild/cultured stock transmissions thru the open net-cage below:
http://johnreynolds.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Godwin-et-al.-2017-JFB-growth.pdf
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...otentially-impacting-wild-salmon-declines.pdf
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rstb.2015.0203
https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1365-2664.2010.01889.x

https://vocm.com/2019/08/01/open-line-with-paddy-daly/
Tuesday Nov. 5th open line episode start @ 1h28m to 1:34

On Demand
The Broadcast with Jane Adey
Fishers fighting to protect lucrative crab ground from oil and gas exploration; questions about farmed salmon in House of Assembly
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radi...ions-about-farmed-salmon-in-house-of-assembly
6m to 16:30

I think the only ones besides Gerry Bryn "sucking it up" are the wild Atlantics in NFLD - also likely sucking up ISAv among those shreds of decaying farmed salmon. Can't be a good thing. Interesting how the FF pundits are so belligerent on both sides of Canada.

Last edited:
Improvements are good. Thanks for posting those links, Dave. Must've been quite the investment for Mowi to build the Aqua Tromoy. It does also indicate the problem that FFs are having w Slice-resistance lice that have developed thru FFing operations. Wild fish do not have that level of protection that the farmed salmon do, however. No Aqua Tromoy's for them.

Some interesting articles on the wild/cultured stock transmissions thru the open net-cage below:
http://johnreynolds.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Godwin-et-al.-2017-JFB-growth.pdf
https://www.researchgate.net/profil...otentially-impacting-wild-salmon-declines.pdf
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/pdf/10.1098/rstb.2015.0203
https://besjournals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1365-2664.2010.01889.x
We need to learn all about what is happening. Let's not dilute or spam away the positives. I know you don't favor FF's, but if they start working to solve the issues and concerns u have - well, let's give them a "that a boy" pat on the back. It is why I told you that both sides can be right.

Anyway, also saw Mowi is working close with FN's to improve and add new FF's.

Last edited:
https://vocm.com/2019/08/01/open-line-with-paddy-daly/
Tuesday Nov. 5th open line episode start @ 1h28m to 1:34

On Demand
The Broadcast with Jane Adey
Fishers fighting to protect lucrative crab ground from oil and gas exploration; questions about farmed salmon in House of Assembly
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radi...ions-about-farmed-salmon-in-house-of-assembly
6m to 16:30

I think the only ones besides Gerry Bryn "sucking it up" are the wild Atlantics in NFLD. Can't be a good thing. Interesting how the FF pundits are so belligerent on both sides of Canada.
The pariah of Canada, is heading out of the country. All anti-oil industry advocates have won. Two of the biggest Canadian Companies( Trans Canada Pipelines and Encana) are now in the US. Yeah! We did it. Now let's put some wood on our pot stove!

We need to start finding common ground. FF's have there place, Oil co's are needed and Canada, on its way to third world country status, better find a way of helping this all to coexist.

Last edited:
No fears, Stephen - no way I could "spam away" any of this even if I wanted to. And I certainly not going to "spam away" the need for accountability and honesty from our regulators over both potential and realized impacts to wild stocks using the open net-pen technology.

I guess this is where I type "LOL" like a few of the industry pundits whom apparently think that the health of wild salmon and our legacy to our kids and grandkids is a joke...

Last edited:
https://www.thetelegram.com/opinion...ment-research-and-action-not-rhetoric-372370/
LETTER: Fish farming needs investment, research and action — not rhetoric
Contributed

Mark Lane, executive director of the Newfoundland Aquaculture Industry Association (NAIA) is obviously frustrated by the recent turn of events in the Open Net Pen (ONP) aquaculture industry (“Stand up for our seafood farmers,” The Telegram, Nov. 2).

Lane wants everyone to view the massive kill of 2.6 million salmon on our south coast in August as an isolated occurrence caused by an unforeseeable environmental event similar to a crop farmer getting hit by drought.

This is a nice analogy if only it were that simple.

However, when millions of salmon die in their pens the devastation is not limited to the aquaculture company.

As we all now know the surrounding environment is severely impacted as the company transfers the dead salmon from the net pens. The image of the white fat coating the coastline attests to the magnitude of the impacts.

The analogy to regular agriculture ends when net pens are placed in the ocean.

Unfortunately, what happened in August is not an isolated event but just one more in a list of very serious incidents that have been happening with alarming regularity since the industry was first established on the N.L. South Coast in the early 1990s.

These include a kill of two million salmon in 2014 from winter chill and four million in 2012 from Infectious Salmon Anemia (ISA).

In 2013 there was a major escape event that has wreaked genetic havoc on the wild Atlantic salmon in our south coast rivers.

The aquaculture industry has not acknowledged ownership of this tragedy.

If you visit the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website you will learn the N.L. salmon aquaculture industry has had 12 outbreaks of ISA since October 2016.

TEL-A06-10062019-WhiteClimate-JB_display.jpg

Leo White, spokesperson for Newfoundland and Labrador Coalition for Aquaculture Reform. - SaltWire File Photo

These events have not been reported to the public and are only now coming to public attention because of the salmon kill in August and related media coverage.

In the area of public trust, the aquaculture industry is its own worst enemy.

It has developed an aura of secrecy and disregard for public scrutiny that inevitably leads to a loss of confidence and trust.

Government hasn’t been a great help by refusing to acknowledge the legitimate interest of other stakeholders, including the public.

Together the industry and government have succeeded in destroying public trust in the aquaculture industry simply by excluding other genuine stakeholders.

When an event like a massive kill occurs and the public doesn’t find out about it for over a month, that’s a serious breakdown in trust and accountability. The more you conceal, delay and cover-up the worse things get.

Lane decries the presence of the Sea Sheppard Society visiting the area and documenting the environmental impacts.

This kind of coverage is inevitable once you have developed a reputation for avoiding public disclosure. It doesn’t help to attack organizations with a genuine and valid interest in the industry. The Atlantic Salmon Federation is not against aquaculture but recognizes that there are serious problems with the industry that haven’t been resolved.

These include diseases like ISA that kills salmon indiscriminately, farmed or wild; pests like sea lice that thrive in and near the net pens and easily spread to wild salmon; and loss of containment which allows farm salmon to interact with wild salmon.

The industry knows there’s no easy solution to these issues but hasn’t taken common-sense steps to reduce their impacts and hasn’t been forthright and transparent when outbreaks and escapes occur.

Everyone wants government to help develop jobs that are well paying and sustainable, especially in rural areas. Everyone wants N.L.’s people to prosper but no matter how important this is, the environment with its wild salmon and other species must be protected.

This has to be built into the design and development of the industry.

If deeper nets are needed, they should be installed before a disaster occurs.

If ISA virus is a threat bio-security measures must be taken before another four million salmon die.

If there are wild salmon rivers in the area, sea cages must be far enough away so that smolt and wild adult salmon will not be affected.

This requires investment, research and action, not rhetoric.

Leo White,
spokesperson for Newfoundland and Labrador Coalition for Aquaculture Reform,
St. John’s

Last edited:
This article seems to show aquaculture improving all new projects.

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-...ntal-sustainability-and-business-results.html

The 15 projects announced today will help BC based fisheries and aquaculture businesses adopt greener practices that will improve energy efficiency, reduce waste and lessen climate change causing carbon dioxide emissions. Projects include $424,219 in funding to Brown’s Bay Packing Co, which will prevent bacteria and viruses from fish processing waste from entering the marine environment, $74,437 to the Sport Fishing Institute of B.C. to support rockfish conservation, $43,488 to Taste of B.C. Aquafarms Inc to install a solar hot water system, eliminating fossil fuel consumption and reducing carbon emissions, over $100,000 to Sth’oqi aquaculture Ltd Partnership to install a machine to convert fish waste to fertilizer and low-carbon energy to power their land-based aquaculture facility, and almost $100,000 to Atchison Fishing Ltd to support a new efficient engine that will reduce fuel use and carbon emissions.

Back