Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

I hear a First Nation band has approved 17 new fish farm sites....Curious that that figure is also the same amount that is moving from the Brighton archipelago.

Last edited:
I hear a First Nation band has approved 17 new fish farm sites....Curious that that figure is also the same amount that is moving from the Brighton archipelago.

Pretty sure that was predicted, lol! Wonder how the Libs will reconcile this?

Pretty sure that was predicted, lol! Wonder how the Libs will reconcile this?
On October 3rd DFO sent a letter to inform me they had made their final decision on whether to screen farm salmon for PRV.

DFO will not be screening farm salmon for the virus PRV, a virus linked to heart damage and red blood cell rupture in the last wild salmon.

They went one step further. Even if they know the virus is present they will approve the transfer of infected fish.

Download Final Signed - Morton Letter Oct 3

This is against the spirit of the law in Canada s. 56 (FGR).

Seven years in court, three legal decisions against this, extensive scientific evidence, exposed cover-up, division within DFO, the collapse of BC salmon fisheries, Pacific salmon turning yellow and dying before spawning in the rivers and DFO opted for a state of lawlessness aiding millions of farm salmon in shedding a virus over every run of wild salmon that tries to migrate to sea from rivers in the southern half of BC - that is associated with rupturing their red blood cells.

DFO has ruined the salmon farming industry by never giving them any reason to clean up.

I sat in the rain and wept for hours at the suffering, loss, extinctions and the thing about some humans that drives them to destroy the very things our children need to survive.

Onward.... Nothing to laugh about. Pretty sad actually.

Did you even read the article? It is a nothing about nothing. I really don't think this has anything to do with Aquaculture; improving.

Last edited:
The real question we should be asking is this: could Alexandra Morton and Vivian Krause both be right? So, if A. Morton receives money from NGO's which have an adgenda, it still doesn't mean that everything she says is incorrect, it just means it is partisan. Similarity, if V. Krause has all the evidence to show the campaigns waged against certain industries like salmon farming are real, she doesn't have to be classified as a right wing conspiracy theorist. It is highly possible that FF's can coexist with wild salmon runs and that they are improving. Most of the linking we see here is more political than scientific and most of the discussion is also centered on politics. Too bad for us. I am pretty sure that FF's are here to stay, I just wish we had ideas that were more constructive. "Anti-anything is bound to fail"

Wow - you're really scraping trying to find support for the industry Stephen - areant ya? "E" for effort at least.

I think the comparison breaks down between Alex and Vivian (nice try) is that Alex has spent years doing science and publishing her results in peer-reviewed journals. Whether you like her or her funding sources are irrelevant in this context of science and publishing. Vivian gets paid to be a hack and do powerpoints at aquaculture conferences and pro-pipeline events. Not the same thing.

I strongly suspect you already know this - which is why your last couple posts appear so desperate, IMHO.

Oh - and - even the professional communications industry has has enough of Vivian's lies and biases and neurosis now...

Last edited:
He is a win win solution.
Let's give all fish farms to FN as part of reconciliation. The only catch is they have to be landbased.

How many BC residents do fish farms employ?

Why would first nations want to farm salmon on land when they can just net all the wild salmon that they will be awash in when salmon farms are gone.

After all we have been promised by some on here that ocean survival will double, triple or quadruple with salmon farms gone.

[QUOTE="wildmanyeah, post: 957364, member: 9746"
After all we have been promised by some on here that ocean survival will double, triple or quadruple with salmon farms gone.[/QUOTE]

At the risk of offending you, can you please show me who on this site made this prediction...
I missed it.

="fogged in, post: 957366, member: 1622"][QUOTE="wildmanyeah, post: 957364, member: 9746"
After all we have been promised by some on here that ocean survival will double, triple or quadruple with salmon farms gone.

At the risk of offending you, can you please show me who on this site made this prediction...
I missed it.

I really don't want to search through the millions of fish farm posts at this point but there was promises made.

Also isn't that the point of removing fish farms to improve ocean survival? So how much are you expecting them to increase with salmon farms removed?

I really don't want to search through the millions of fish farm posts at this point but there was promises made.
Also isn't that the point of removing fish farms to improve ocean survival? So how much are you expecting them to increase with salmon farms removed?

OK a fair trade.
You can't answer my question and I can't answer yours.

Morton receives money from NGO's which have an adgenda

Elmo has no money, When the FF debate became popular a few years ago with the Browns Bay pipe blood effluent. All the big ENGO's jumped into the fight and stole all of Elmo's donors.

She posted on facebook about it awhile ago ranting how she lost all her donors to them. One of her big backers was the commercial fishing union and they have since pulled funding to her as they have almost no money anymore with the lack of commercial fishing.

You can go through all her facebook posts and blogs it's in there somewhere.

Yes, NGOs have an agenda. So they focus their efforts on areas that they want attention to and/or receive funding for.

However, the data generated - especially the published stuff - needs to be looked at. Not all submitted science gets approved and published due to checks and balances in that process.

After it is published - we can agree that we collectively want to do something about it - or not - or if it matters or not. The funding used to generate those data do not necessarily negate the science.

Krause - on the other hand - get paid to go to pro-industry conferences and put up powerpoints. Anyone can do that. Where is her checks and balances? That is the point.

salmon-farming-800x383.jpg

First Nation hails new salmon farming pact with Mowi

“Mowi has shown respect for our waters, and our people, we look forward to seeing sustainable salmon farming and processing continuing in our Territory”. – Chief Roxanne Robinson, Kitasoo/Xai’Xais First Nation.

By SeaWestNews

Mowi Canada West has entered into a new 10-year agreement with the Kitasoo/Xai’Xais First Nation for economic development and employment centred around salmon farming and processing in Klemtu, British Columbia.

This new agreement builds on a 20-year relationship between the Nation and Mowi and includes enhanced protocols and oversight of salmon farms in the Nation’s Territory and a transition from primary processing to value added processing.

The Kitasoo/Xai’Xais began farming and processing salmon since the late 1980’s, forming a partnership for the business with Mowi in 1998.

“The Kitasoo/Xai’Xais have strict protocols for companies operating in our Territory, particularly with respect to the environment, which is our top priority,” said Chief Roxanne Robinson.

“Mowi has shown respect for our waters, and our people, we look forward to the seeing sustainable salmon farming and processing continuing in our Territory”.

Mowi and the Nation will work together to retrofit an existing processing building to a modern hot-smoke facility producing a ready-to-eat product carefully prepared and hand-packed by the Kitasoo/Xai’Xais people. Once fully operational, the plant will operate 10-months per year.

“I thank the Kitasoo/Xai’Xais for trusting Mowi as their partner in aquaculture, we have had many successes over the last 20 years, and we are looking forward to working together for many years to come under this new agreement,” said Dr. Diane Morrison, Managing Director Mowi Canada West.

“Klemtu is a very special place for all of us at Mowi, we have developed a deep connection with the people and the community”.

For the past 20 years, farm-raised salmon processing in Klemtu has been primary processing only, with salmon shipped out of the community as whole fish, head-on gutted, for the market. Salmon farming and processing is the top employer in Klemtu generating over 50 direct jobs in a community of approximately 200 people in the workforce.

“Our relationship with Mowi and the salmon farming industry has been very important for our people, creating jobs and economic opportunity for the community. We are supportive of the transition to a salmon smoking operation because it will provide good jobs, many that are a little less physically taxing than what they’ve been in the old plant,” added Chief Robinson.

The renewed agreement includes regularised reporting by Mowi on its operations, and the development of a new farm monitoring program to be conducted by the Kitasoo Stewardship Authority.

“Mowi operates its farms to the highest environmental standards as set by the Aquaculture Stewardship Council. It is important to us to have local guardians monitoring our farms and sharing their results with the community. We look forward to developing a comprehensive reporting and monitoring program with the Kitasoo Stewardship Authority,” said Dr. Morrison.

Mowi and the Kitasoo/Xai’Xais have also committed to work together to develop a skills training program for the people of Klemtu with the goal of ensuring that the jobs generated under the agreement are filled by members of the Kitasoo/Xai’Xais Nation.

Mowi operates six salmon farms in Kitasoo/Xai’Xais territory with an average annual harvest of five-thousand tonnes of salmon. When signed in 1998, the partnership between Mowi and the Kitasoo/Xai’Xais was the first agreement developed by a salmon farming company and a First Nation in British Columbia.

Image shows members of the Kitasoo/Xai’Xais First Nation and Mowi officials in Klemtu, BC.

Wow - you're really scraping trying to find support for the industry Stephen - areant ya? "E" for effort at least.

I think the comparison breaks down between Alex and Vivian (nice try) is that Alex has spent years doing science and publishing her results in peer-reviewed journals. Whether you like her or her funding sources are irrelevant in this context of science and publishing. Vivian gets paid to be a hack and do powerpoints at aquaculture conferences and pro-pipeline events. Not the same thing.

I strongly suspect you already know this - which is why your last couple posts appear so desperate, IMHO.

Oh - and - even the professional communications industry has has enough of Vivian's lies and biases and neurosis now...
This is so ridiculous it is hard to even respond. Basically, if someone points out factual information you don't agree with, they must be wrong. Period. People like me have no problem accepting information even if it will hurt an industry that I think has value. Not a FF employee, just believe they can be regulated and allowed to survive. You on the other hand, are so fanatical, you can't accept that maybe, just maybe, FF's are getting better - the whole point of this thread. As for Vivian Krause, why don't you take it up with her to prove how she is wrong on all of her findings? You know jack squat about any of the proof she found in linking the NGO's in the US to the anti-FF movement in Canadian and frankly, because it effects your puritanical beliefs, you don't want to know. AA, faith is fine, but blind faith is blind. Good luck with only caring about half the picture.

Back