Aquaculture improving?..The Fish Farm Thread

No large land based site has survived. A FN tried one and proved they could grow fish but not make money. It never grew or expanded as planned and then they sold it. They received millions of start up money but still folded.
Did Kuterra - ‘Namgis's RAS fold? I never heard about it. I understood that some of their challenges were high rates of early maturation, slower than expected growth, and irregular and costly smolt supply. At the end of the day - farm gate value is the maker or breaker.

If RAS systems have to compete with ONP production where they get free real estate, free sewerage disposal, and free pumping - I can see where it is hard to compete in that market.

However, if at the end of this ONP transition process only RAS survives - Canada would be in an enviable position in the market/production would they not?

DFO communications is definitely their weakest link; has been for about 15 years. So much confusion and angst could have been prevented with proactive communication between them and their clients. It's happening now on the Fraser River with a chinook tagging program I suspect the general public knows nothing about.
Please tell us.

Please tell us.
All I know is local anglers are radio tagging chinooks angled in the Fraser with the idea of tracking their movements. Don't know the funding source or who's in charge. I know roughly 30 have been tagged and that's about it. This is my point ... DFO communications should be promoting and telling the angling public about this and other related programs in some form of weekly updates. Instead they let people, clients I call them, vent their frustrations on forums like this.
Just **** poor service, imo.

No large land based site has survived. A FN tried one and proved they could grow fish but not make money. It never grew or expanded as planned and then they sold it. They received millions of start up money but still folded.
It is a fact that salmon can be raised on land without having disease and sea lice killing our wild salmon.
Could it be land based fish farms in BC could not survive because they can't compete with open ocean Atlantic Salmon Net Pens that can produce the same product at a much lower cost?

All I know is local anglers are radio tagging chinooks angled in the Fraser with the idea of tracking their movements. Don't know the funding source or who's in charge. I know roughly 30 have been tagged and that's about it. This is my point ... DFO communications should be promoting and telling the angling public about this and other related programs in some form of weekly updates. Instead they let people, clients I call them, vent their frustrations on forums like this.
Just **** poor service, imo.
I think we agree on this point, dave. I could never tell the difference between DFO communications & the BCSFA's news releases. Either one employs the same PR people of the other - or one copies the other. The only difference is that the BCSFAs news releases are more colourful than DFO communications.

What specifically were they hoping to learn from the tagging, Dave?

Too bad about Kuterra (thanks for the info HG) - but at least they are still operating, "harvesting sushi-grade Atlantic salmon economically"...

Last edited:
I don't know. I guess they're tracking their progress up, or down river
And that is the question.
Radio tag and follow-them up the whole Fraser system?
that would cost real money.

There is something wrong here?

Attachments

• sea lice again.jpg
    sea lice again.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 4
Back