April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

Just wondering I thought we were supposed to get a update from DFO by now about Chinook retention or was that wishful thinking by this

probably to busy reading our letters to make an informed decision , really shows what the minister thinks of us, what a way to manage a resource absolutely brutal

probably to busy reading our letters to make an informed decision , really shows what the minister thinks of us, what a way to manage a resource absolutely brutal
I have fished for more than Sixty years and under any government the DFO has never seemed to understand the needs of the the fish or recreational fisher!
Certainly seems time for a body like The freshwater fisheries society of BC who does a great job

Well I feel for businesses reliant on this industry. You think the minister would have taken that into account. She should have made this decision at beginning of year. That way if answer is no industry could try to adjust. I am not pleased that John Horgan hasn't taken a larger role with this as he keeps telling tourism businesses he wants to help. Guides, Tackle stores, Boat repair, lodges etc. are being hurt from this.

Ottawa doesn't seem to acknowledge that. They just throw CEBA loans at it and hope it goes way.

I suspect it’s taking time because they are looking at the SFAB proposal and seing how to carve it up to best serve them.

There are are areas in the proposal that are more politically sensitive than others.

I suspect it’s taking time because they are looking at the SFAB proposal and seing how to carve it up to best serve them.

There are are areas in the proposal that are more politically sensitive than others.
The IFMP deadline for input was extended to April 9. Meanwhile....the decision request is sitting with the Minister. You might be heartened to know that yesterday the Province of BC sent a letter providing input to the IFMP - and they support MSF fisheries. Thank you John Horgan. Not to mention, the province is doubling their financial support and engagement in salmon rebuilding. That's leadership.

The IFMP deadline for input was extended to April 9. Meanwhile....the decision request is sitting with the Minister. You might be heartened to know that yesterday the Province of BC sent a letter providing input to the IFMP - and they support MSF fisheries. Thank you John Horgan. Not to mention, the province is doubling their financial support and engagement in salmon rebuilding. That's leadership.

Glad to hear it.

Sounds promising, time will tell if the rebuilding will go to help sportfishing or ??
Thanks for the update

That’s good for Horgan but cutting it a little close don’t you think? Sending a letter of support on the same day that receiving input closes isn’t really that reassuring to me.

That’s good for Horgan but cutting it a little close don’t you think? Sending a letter of support on the same day that receiving input closes isn’t really that reassuring to me.
Well he is probably one of the only Premiers that has said anything or spoke up, I think he has alot on his plate right now with other things im more then sure!!!! (covid)
I personally have had 3 meeting with him before he was premier re halibut and salmon etc he gave me a lot of good insight on how to write a letter and nail them with constructive criticism, first time he met me for over 2 hours which I thought was great of him he is a local guy and he understand how important it is to us on coast, unfortunately its really not his place to say much, thats what we have federal MPs for. And I havent seen Randall do much for us here.
2 years ago he put on the waders and helped collect brood stock in the sooke river.

Well he is probably one of the only Premiers that has said anything or spoke up, I think he has alot on his plate right now with other things im more then sure!!!! (covid)
I personally have had 3 meeting with him before he was premier re halibut and salmon etc he gave me a lot of good insight on how to write a letter and nail them with constructive criticism, first time he met me for over 2 hours which I thought was great of him he is a local guy and he understand how important it is to us on coast, unfortunately its really not his place to say much, thats what we have federal MPs for. And I havent seen Randall do much for us here.
2 years ago he put on the waders and helped collect brood stock in the sooke river.
Point taken and I hope your correct but be careful Wolf. You’ll have the snowflakes in full meltdown mode for being pro NDP.

Couldn't agree more. Don't forget, Glen Clarke started the Watershed Restoration Program, which was axed as soon as Gordo Campbell took over. Horgan is the most engaged Premier in BC history on the salmon file, and made the most investment. His record is 100% as Wolf says. Full marks from me. I wasn't a big NDP fan, but actually voted for Horgan in this past election based on his track record on the Salmon front, and I will gladly do so again.

There are are areas in the proposal that are more politically sensitive than othe

The letter was sealed and put into a waterproof saddle bag to be carried to Ottawa by way of Donkey. Horgan slapped that donkey on the butt and away it went. By the time the donkey arrives in Ottawa a few months later, Bernadette may have finished reading the proposal.

April 9 is the deadline not sure what you mean?
That sending a letter on April 9 and that they won’t be taking any more input after the 9th is kind of taking it to the wire. I’m not critical of him sending it, just the timing. This is a pretty major issue and I believe that he could’ve made his position a little clearer a lot sooner. Makes me wonder what would’ve happened if they hadn’t extended the deadline? Would that letter have made it? Or been mailed at all? Again, not critical of his coming out on our side, just that the optics seems kind of like a last minute decision.

Last edited:
Back