All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is saying we should not apply for the bc recovery benefits because we don’t need it but are eligible.

what r you guys thoughts on this?

You're being unfair on yourself for appearing to lean one way, you presented fed govt stats without comment.

Toronto has been on lockdown for essentially 6 weeks and still sees a spike...same with UK, many other jurisdictions. To say the numbers went down due to lockdowns is just a false narrative.

Ask people in Sydney or Melbourne or norther Italy about what a lockdown actually is. Some family members are going through it now: specific suburbs closed off by police barricades, households must stay indoors with one person per day allowed out for groceries or medication. Outside the hot zones persons not permitted to travel more than 5 km from their homes. We have yet to see anything like a lockdown in Canada so far, and it is misleading to use that word. Toronto heads more in that direction this week. Their restrictions to date have been so easy to circumvent, people go to the suburb next door to use the malls there. The resultant crowding is surely a contributor to the jump in cases.

What BC has been doing is working. A demonstration of no restrictions at all for 4 weeks would convince even the true cynics, but to do so would cost untold lives and the genie would not easily go back in the bottle

My wife is saying we should not apply for the bc recovery benefits because we don’t need it but are eligible.

what r you guys thoughts on this?
It is meant to be taken and spent to help businesses and stimulate the economy. I feel like most of the money they gave "struggling" businesses should have been handed out this way as well. I know guys that have raked in A LOT of money because of chance off months. Still very profitable years. None of this money is going to their employees.

I’d be cautious of some of this money, especially from the federal government. I know of 3 people so far that qualified and received the CERB money and are now being asked to pay it back and the government wants their money now. Just saying, if you don’t need it I wouldn’t take the chance. They'll find an excuse to claw it back, you just watch and see.

EpzBWMEVgAA2KWb

Provincial Health Officer said B.C.'s curve is 'levelling,' but at too high a plateau

Dec 21, 2020

B.C. health officials have announced 1,667 new cases of COVID-19 over a three day period and 41 new deaths — but offered a glimmer of hope on Monday, saying restrictions appear to be working to slow the spread of the virus.

In a live news conference from Victoria, Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry confirmed 652 new cases between Friday and Saturday, 486 new cases between Saturday and Sunday, and 529 new cases between Sunday and Monday.

The new cases represent a 23 per cent decrease compared to last weekend, when 2,146 new cases were recorded.

Hospitalizations are down slightly and active cases have shrunk for the first time since the second wave began, according to provincial statistics.

There are currently 341 people in hospital, with 80 patients in critical care.

Henry said that while B.C.'s curve is currently "levelling," it's at too high a plateau, with significant growth of new cases in the Interior and the north of B.C.

More Here:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...eekend-as-1-667-new-cases-confirmed-1.5850767

Epz851jXcAIkV8w

As of Friday, 3,644 health-care workers in the Lower Mainland had received their first dose of vaccine, and on Monday, vaccines had arrived in every health region of the province.

It is meant to be taken and spent to help businesses and stimulate the economy. I feel like most of the money they gave "struggling" businesses should have been handed out this way as well. I know guys that have raked in A LOT of money because of chance off months. Still very profitable years. None of this money is going to their employees.

I agree as well. Many of us smaller business couldn't get any of these programs, and were rejected. Was a great slap in face. BC government is trying to get a balance on how to help. The CEBA loan was completely unfair on how it was handed out, and lots of businesses that were given it didn't need at all. Same goes with CEWS and rent subsidies. If you think CERB is bad you just wait and see what CRA finds out from businesses that took advantage when they start digging in deeper.

With this BC relief it will benefit local business, so it is a win. Should have been done federally same way.

The charity idea is good.
There must be some stream keeper organization that could really make some impact even with a bit of cash.
The money is already in the 'spent' side of the balance sheet.
Not disagreeing with you here but if you look at the bigger scheme of things, this is nothing but buying publicity at the the cost of tax payers and our next generation. I don’t want to get into a political debate here but what he BC NDP. Is doing here is just taking advantage of the situation for the political interests of their party. Same mentality that drives the capping of food delivery to %15. Are we not living in an open market economy? What’s government’s boundary in determining who gets what and for what reason? How is this going to help the entrepreneurs find back their confidence and recreate the jobs that were zapped b/c of COVID? There seems to be no strategic thinking here. Anyway, we’re not supposed to talk politics here. Let’s get back to the stats and news here....

Last edited:
New case average rates are in negative growth, active cases falling, hospitalization numbers falling. Good signs.

If it wasn't for the holidays about to happen, I'd say we have seen the peak of the second wave. But.

Please could everyone just set aside their expectations and traditions for just this one year. On average we can expect to have about 85 Christmases each. Is it really that much to ask that we skip the big gathering for just one of them?

New case average rates are in negative growth, active cases falling, hospitalization numbers falling. Good signs.

If it wasn't for the holidays about to happen, I'd say we have seen the peak of the second wave. But.

Please could everyone just set aside their expectations and traditions for just this one year. On average we can expect to have about 85 Christmases each. Is it really that much to ask that we skip the big gathering for just one of them?
Agree 100%

Attachments

• 91799B80-6F91-4C68-81EF-66A2B9093ED1.jpeg
    91799B80-6F91-4C68-81EF-66A2B9093ED1.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 31
Christmas is always a **** show for travel anyway. Great excuse to stay off the roads/out of the airports for once. Have a big family gathering in spring instead. We'll all have something to celebrate then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back