ak-chinook-troll-fishery-ruling-preserves-orca-prey-initiative

Onefish is right. Up until now - Alaska has largely done and gotten what they wanted - and the remaining, returning adult fish not caught in Alaska swim South to BC and the West Coast of the Continental US.

In 1997, when Alaska wouldn't re-sign the Pacific Salmon Treaty that ended in 1994 because they wanted more fish and the "watershed of origin" to no longer apply to allocation - it blew up into the "Alaska-Canada Salmon "War" of 1997:

And here we are 26 years later. Washington, Oregon, and California are also still at the end of the line - receiving the "dregs" that make it past the Alaska fisheries. It is to their benefit also that Alaska lets more fish swim South.

Here's Terry Glavin's take on it from last summer:

from the article

"Last summer was Alaska’s third most productive salmon season in history. A big part of the Alaska catch was chinook salmon. Almost all the chinook caught in Alaska — 90 percent of them — were chinook bound for rivers in B.C., Washington and Oregon."

So nice of everybody south of Alaska to conserve all the fish for them.

BC judge rules all rec fishing in BC closes for chinook retention for conservation measures.........................
Fairly or unfairly that is just what happened to those guys/gals in SE Alaska.
We are all pleased as it is the "other guy" who took it in the ear this time.
No easy answers and I doubt the whole story has been written re SE Alaska.

BC judge rules all rec fishing in BC closes for chinook retention for conservation measures.........................
Fairly or unfairly that is just what happened to those guys/gals in SE Alaska.
We are all pleased as it is the "other guy" who took it in the ear this time.
No easy answers and I doubt the whole story has been written re SE Alaska.
In the US individual states have more power than the entire country of Canada in negotiations, even against each other.
The only outlier are the endangered species laws.
If Washington state had a beef with Alaska they would have more pull than BC or Canada.

There still is the Dixon Strait issue.
Alaska, as a state, refuses to acknowledge an international boundary agreed to in 1840 and shown on all federal US maps.

The Alaskan judge does not stop recreational fishing I don't think, I haven't read the full decision so I can't say.

As far as the "other guy" goes haven't the commercial and recreational guys in BC and the southern states been hit with the fishing restrictions that are worse than what the Alaskan judge ruled?

Back