ak-chinook-troll-fishery-ruling-preserves-orca-prey-initiative

They have the backing of the Alaska state, alaska fish and game, people, local politicians.

I can’t see it getting shut down

the judge removed the esa exemption but I think they will find away to make the fishery happen.

States have lots of independence from the fed

Last edited:
Yep and alaska has its own fisheries commissioner. I don't see it getting shut down either

The 'enormous ruling' withholds permits in southeast Alaska that for decades has intercepted hundreds of thousands of chinook salmon before they can reach endangered southern resident killer whales in B.C.

The ruling effectively shuts down the summer and winter chinook troll fishery stretching off the coast of the Alaska panhandle — waters where roughly 97 per cent of the fish caught are bound for home rivers in B.C., Washington and Oregon, according to Wild Fish Conservancy, which filed the lawsuit.

Data shared with Glacier Media show southeast Alaskan fisheries took 70 per cent of sockeye stocks for the Nisga'a Nation in 2021, 64 per cent of chinook in watersheds around Bella Bella and Bella Coola, and 44 per cent of chinook stocks along a stretch of coast that includes the Quinsam area of Campbell River.

But the interception of chinook is just one of several salmon species — including sockeye, pink, chum, and coho — cut off by Alaskan fishers before they reach the border.

Last edited:
Alaskan government officials and organizations have also spoken out against the ruling, including Gov. Mike Dunleavy, Sens. Dan Sullivan and Lisa Murkowski, and Rep. Mary Peltola. Others opposed to the ruling include the Alaska House Coalition, The Alaska Department of Law, and The Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

“We will defend opportunities for Alaskans and Alaskan families and that includes appealing any adverse decision that unjustly targets only our fisheries,” Dunleavy said.

Fish and Game Commissioner Doug Vincent-Lang said that if this ruling stands, Alaska will work to ensure the same limitations are placed on other fisheries that affect the orca whales in question.

“Alaskan fishers should not be blamed for NOAA’s chronic mismanagement of this fishery, and we are sincerely sympathetic to the burden this decision will pose to southeast Alaskan communities,” Helverson said “However, this decision will finally address decades of harm and lost opportunity this overharvest has caused to fishing communities throughout British Columbia, Oregon, and Washington.”

Always comes down to the whales. Except for has absolutely nothing to do with the whales as there is one of the user groups within our fishery using the whales as hook line and sinker to remove the 2 other user groups from the fishery. That my friends is an off balance. That my friends is divide and concuer.

Alaskan government officials and organizations have also spoken out against the ruling, including Gov. Mike Dunleavy, Sens. Dan Sullivan and Lisa Murkowski, and Rep. Mary Peltola. Others opposed to the ruling include the Alaska House Coalition, The Alaska Department of Law, and The Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

“We will defend opportunities for Alaskans and Alaskan families and that includes appealing any adverse decision that unjustly targets only our fisheries,” Dunleavy said.

Fish and Game Commissioner Doug Vincent-Lang said that if this ruling stands, Alaska will work to ensure the same limitations are placed on other fisheries that affect the orca whales in question.

“Alaskan fishers should not be blamed for NOAA’s chronic mismanagement of this fishery, and we are sincerely sympathetic to the burden this decision will pose to southeast Alaskan communities,” Helverson said “However, this decision will finally address decades of harm and lost opportunity this overharvest has caused to fishing communities throughout British Columbia, Oregon, and Washington.”
I’d say it had Zero chance of happening if it only impacted Canadian stock and Canadian fishers. However they mention Oregon and Washington as well, which may be a difference maker. Surprised no mention of California which is a huge political catch. Time will tell.

I’d say it had Zero chance of happening if it only impacted Canadian stock and Canadian fishers. However they mention Oregon and Washington as well, which may be a difference maker. Surprised no mention of California which is a huge political catch. Time will tell.
Very few Californian Chinook migrate that far north. Most of those stocks only migrate as far north as Van Island as we sit on the “bifurcation” point where the Californian and Alaskan currents mix. Their Chinook populations spend their life in that upwelling California current. Which is why only Cali and Oregon fisheries have been closed this year, in an effort to reduce impacts on the Californian Chinook that are being hammered by drought conditions.

Very few Californian Chinook migrate that far north. Most of those stocks only migrate as far north as Van Island as we sit on the “bifurcation” point where the Californian and Alaskan currents mix. Their Chinook populations spend their life in that upwelling California current. Which is why only Cali and Oregon fisheries have been closed this year, in an effort to reduce impacts on the Californian Chinook that are being hammered by drought conditions.
A lot of California and Washington commercial trollers migrate that far north.

I don‘t know why the headline says “Poaching”? They are fishing legally and while I agree they are taking a lot of Canadian wild fish, they are operating IAW a treaty we signed with the US.

USA/Alaska operating from a position of strength. Our waters = our fish, even if they originated somewhere else.
The Canadian troll fleet used to operate the same way intercepting wash/oregon/cali springs and coho. The bulk of the fish we used to catch offshore were USA bound fish. The fish on the beach were more apt to be Canadian stocks.

USA/Alaska operating from a position of strength. Our waters = our fish, even if they originated somewhere else.
The Canadian troll fleet used to operate the same way intercepting wash/oregon/cali springs and coho. The bulk of the fish we used to catch offshore were USA bound fish. The fish on the beach were more apt to be Canadian stocks.
I’m not sure the members of the lower 48 are agreeing with Alaska?

Back