300k boat for 200k

Oh man, same specs as mine. I guess I'm dreaming if I think I can get 125 for mine. Mine is way cooler though. And fishier, way fishier.

That is so much boat for the $. Even the dingy w motor is expensive to buy and is included. You might want to upgrade to a 6hp and a new radar/charplotter but it already comes with both. @Sttr you are handy and could be able to do some of the work yourself. I'd do it, if it surveys well and you like that series of diesel engine, but then again, I'd help anyone spend their money on a boat.

Why are people staying away from the newer (2019 plus ) commanders? Because of where they where built?
There is a 27, and two 34's, that I know of. They were built in china by?? I have been on the 27 and the first 34. Really not happy with fit, finish and materials used. Don't like the layout of the 34's. These boats look cheaply built. Also, I don't think there are any more coming, so they are kind of a one off.

That is so much boat for the $. Even the dingy w motor is expensive to buy and is included. You might want to upgrade to a 6hp and a new radar/charplotter but it already comes with both. @Sttr you are handy and could be able to do some of the work yourself. I'd do it, if it surveys well and you like that series of diesel engine, but then again, I'd help anyone spend their money on a boat.
I have a spare rebuilt drive too! Whoever needs it first can pay Don's bill for it.

Last edited:
Lots to sleep on tonight, loving the idea of a bigger boat and keeping the commander with the top off. But then there’s those 30 commanders that just check off everything.
The 92 commander would be perfect but I’d rather spend more money and go with the 2004 if I were to go that route. With a 30 commander I don’t see the point of keeping the 26.
I love the idea of a trawler, cruising slowly comfortably relaxing and having nothing to do for hours but looking at the water, sounds like I might need some of that. Always liked the Mainship.

Will ask the wife at 2am what her thoughts are

Lots to sleep on tonight, loving the idea of a bigger boat and keeping the commander with the top off. But then there’s those 30 commanders that just check off everything.
The 92 commander would be perfect but I’d rather spend more money and go with the 2004 if I were to go that route. With a 30 commander I don’t see the point of keeping the 26.
I love the idea of a trawler, cruising slowly comfortably relaxing and having nothing to do for hours but looking at the water, sounds like I might need some of that. Always liked the Mainship.

If I'm communicating with my wife at 2 am, it's rarely about boats.

Too late TMI warming.

Have you been on a Commander 30? Or been cruising in one?
I have spent a bit of time cruising on trawlers. They are comfortable, seaworthy, and lots of room. But they are slow. You need to plan trips and currents carefully. I went from Vancouver to St. Petersburg Alaska on a Selene 57. It’s like a high end condo inside. But our cruise speed was 8.5 knots and many times I wish I could get it up on plane. Lol. Each day we had to plan our route based on times. Many days were 10 to 12 hours of cruising to get to our destination for the night. I can be in the gulf islands from North Van in an hour. Would be 3 to 4 in a trawler. you sound like you’re still young and with your own business. At this time I think fast is still your friend. I’m getting close to retirement and am thinking trawlers but I will be able to go out for weeks at a time. My fear is regretting not being able to go fast.

Have you been on a Commander 30? Or been cruising in one?
I have spent a bit of time cruising on trawlers. They are comfortable, seaworthy, and lots of room. But they are slow. You need to plan trips and currents carefully. I went from Vancouver to St. Petersburg Alaska on a Selene 57. It’s like a high end condo inside. But our cruise speed was 8.5 knots and many times I wish I could get it up on plane. Lol. Each day we had to plan our route based on times. Many days were 10 to 12 hours of cruising to get to our destination for the night. I can be in the gulf islands from North Van in an hour. Would be 3 to 4 in a trawler. you sound like you’re still young and with your own business. At this time I think fast is still your friend. I’m getting close to retirement and am thinking trawlers but I will be able to go out for weeks at a time. My fear is regretting not being able to go fast.
I have, even went off shore in one. The boat was effin awesome. The best thing about it was that there wasn’t even any talk about it, it just did the job, and all talk was about fishing, the boat didn’t get in the way once.

Get a good deal on the 92 and pod it. You'll be into for under 250 with new electronics, new power. It could use an interior update but that can come later. It's near impossible to find an aluminum that size with new power for anything close to that. Save the mothership for when you're 60.

If your looking to get into the longer range cruising and weekending rig I would look at a Bertram 33,35 or Tollycraft 34. There’s a 34 tolly at my marina and damn that is one beauty rig. Layout is nice and almost everything is glass not wood so I’m guessing it’s a “newer” model. Not a huge deck but still good size. The Bertram 33 and 35’s you can pickup for well under 100k depending on engines. Plus they are all twin screws. That’s the biggest downfall imo of the commanders is the outdrives.

If your looking to get into the longer range cruising and weekending rig I would look at a Bertram 33,35 or Tollycraft 34. There’s a 34 tolly at my marina and damn that is one beauty rig. Layout is nice and almost everything is glass not wood so I’m guessing it’s a “newer” model. Not a huge deck but still good size. The Bertram 33 and 35’s you can pickup for well under 100k depending on engines. Plus they are all twin screws. That’s the biggest downfall imo of the commanders is the outdrives.
Pretty sure that tollycraft moved to all fiberglass in the mid to late 70s. Nice not having to worry about wood stringers.

Back