300k boat for 200k

Whaddya know... a Lindell 36 came up for sale... looks to be in good shape from the pics.... I would expect more than 21 knots from those diesels... I wonder if he babied it or if it is just a 21 knot boat... How many people do you need to sleep? How far is your fishing grounds?
It’s most likely not time for the mothership right now,
That’s a beautiful boat

Well guys the reality always was this thread might end with me selling the commander for another boat. Looking at all these beauties has me itching to get out more on the water, but at the same time has me disappointed at what could be with the commander 26 if I stick to it. A commander with outboards would be perfect but would take way too long to complete without Ron, or cost me too much time to complete it quickly. I’m sold on letting both boats go for the next one.

Back to Boats…
I think at the end of the day, the most important thing is that the boat is clean and well taken care of. I love the 30 commander, the only thing is the potential issues with the running gear on older units, the only way to solve it is to pod it LoL or buy a newer commander for a decent chuck of change.
There’s also nothing cleaner in a boat than having outboards instead of an inboard 30 year old birds nest.

I would also love to have the ability to tow the boat when I want to, I have a triple axle trailer that is good for a boat up to 30 feet and 12000lbs.
To meet the most of my needs… I need a 28-30 boat with outboards that is comfortable to ride in, clean, sleeps 4 comfortably, will get me offshore and is towable.

Well guys the reality always was this thread might end with me selling the commander for another boat. Looking at all these beauties has me itching to get out more on the water, but at the same time has me disappointed at what could be with the commander 26 if I stick to it. A commander with outboards would be perfect but would take way too long to complete without Ron, or cost me too much time to complete it quickly. I’m sold on letting both boats go for the next one.
As much as I’d like to see your Commander finished I can certainly empathize with your circumstances. I know what it’s like to run a business while trying to balance that with your family. I wish you the best of luck finding a turn-key boat that you can personalize with a few tweaks and get on the water with your clan. It just means we‘ll be changing gears from vicarious boat building to vicarious boat shopping through you, Sttr.
Who knows, maybe the guy who buys your Commander will start a build thread on here for us junkies.

As much as I’d like to see your Commander finished I can certainly empathize with your circumstances. I know what it’s like to run a business while trying to balance that with your family. I wish you the best of luck finding a turn-key boat that you can personalize with a few tweaks and get on the water with your clan. It just means we‘ll be changing gears from vicarious boat building to vicarious boat shopping through you, Sttr.
Who knows, maybe the guy who buys your Commander will start a build thread on here for us junkies.
I would love to see this boat finished, it’s just not going to be by me, or if it is me it wouldn’t be with my hands but with my wallet.

U guys know I’m not a boat guy, but my wife says I belong here… I have the same sickness as most of you guys 🤣
I kid u not, for a full year my wife put up with me waking her up at 2am showing her boats… this one ok huneeee? 🤣That was before I got the commander.
I’m truly a fisherman, I can sit and watch the water for hours and days at a time, I just been in the wrong trade my whole life.

Don't ruin your passion by also making it your employer.

You do not need to impress the internet peanut gallery with your life choices,
Listen to your wife and kids, they will be around a lot longer that way.
Get out on the water with your family in a boat that gives you confidence.

You put on a grade A show with this thread, and it's tough for some of us armchair fiberglassers to watch it end without being finished.
We will survive though!

Pretty tough getting a 30ft fiberglass boat express style. Seasport, cutwater, commanders I can't really think of another one. Not with the cabin anyway.

I’m open to something without a cabin,
Like a sailfish or Marlin, but has to have enough room inside. I been showing my wife pics of nice Grady’s lately

I’m open to something without a cabin,
Like a sailfish or Marlin, but has to have enough room inside. I been showing my wife pics of nice Grady’s lately
My dads Robalo 305 sleeps 4 comfortably rides great fishes great! Is trailerable as well
There isn’t a lot of them around but if one pops up Definetly worth a look

Skagit Orca
If I had the coin to spend or the budget mentioned there is no doubt about it. Skagit Orca or Sea Sport all the way. The ultimate west coast boats hands down.

I owned a 26.5’ Wellcraft and will never own that style of boat again for multiple reasons.

I agree with getting your boat now and not later. But just to add fuel to the fire...........There is a local guy that could finish out what you are talking about on your Commander. Extreme fiberglass in Nanaimo is someone that has a good reputation and has done some amazing things to boats. Does lots of transom and pod prep work, fuel tanks, stringers, etc. Has done excellent work for me in the past (fiber repair and gel coat). Get yourself on the wait list.

(Scroll through his Facebook - Link -> Extreme Fiberglass )

I agree with others on here,hard to find a cabin -pilothouse boat under 30 Ft. that will make the wife and a fisherman happy and trailerable. If you go Grady look for an express model without the walkaround,it hardly ever gets used and cramps the cabin seating area ( my current complaint).Unfortunately most of the popular fishing boats like Grady have the living area below deck level and the wives don't want to be down there(can't blame them).That's why the Commander is so well liked,same level as cockpit with windows all round so women can be close to the action without getting cold or wet..Orca's and Seasports are great but until recently they were mostly I/O powered which takes up cockpit space and adds a lot to maintain.Jenkins marine made a nice 22 and 24 pilothouse w/outboard too if you can find one.

Last edited:
If I had the coin to spend or the budget mentioned there is no doubt about it. Skagit Orca or Sea Sport all the way. The ultimate west coast boats hands down.

I owned a 26.5’ Wellcraft and will never own that style of boat again for multiple reasons.
Yeah I know they only make up to 27 but that's alot of boat for a 27. I'd hands down rather have that boat than a grady any day of the week. Gradys topsides make no sense. Ski boat windows, window frame right in your face, step up to helm, 28ft 2 person fish boat

I’ll put in a plug for a Tiara 2900 or 3100 Open model.
Tiaras are probly my favorite express style fishing cruisers. Only thing is they are not trailerable. 11.5 ft beam.

What's nice though about the Tiaras, the whole wheelhouse deck lifts off with full access to the engines and running gear. Only thing that sucks is that the fuel tanks are put in before the topside so in order to replace a tank it's cut the deck Open.

Back