2024 Ucluelet Reports

Less than two weeks out, arrive on July 15th. This year we will have 11 days of fishing,
Since we will have ample.time to get things done, one species I wouldn't mind targeting is sablefish/black cod. I heard reports of quite a few being caught last year by groups targeting halibut so I would guess 300ft or less of water...even though I understand normally you gotta go extremely deep for them

Have people been catching them again?
Anyone willing to share some Intel?

We got them out by rats nose while trolling for springs.

On another note, what’s the bait size lookin like this year? Small again?
Mixed bag of bait in the sound. Squid, needle fish, tiny herring (or something similar) and large 6 inch herring. Small spoons were most effective recently.

Less than two weeks out, arrive on July 15th. This year we will have 11 days of fishing,
Since we will have ample.time to get things done, one species I wouldn't mind targeting is sablefish/black cod. I heard reports of quite a few being caught last year by groups targeting halibut so I would guess 300ft or less of water...even though I understand normally you gotta go extremely deep for them

Have people been catching them again?
Anyone willing to share some Intel?
You'll get them sporadically out at Hali West as bycatch. They can be so thick you are lucky if your gear gets to the bottom. Seem to be getting bigger ever season.

Bait is small right now. Bellies full of 2.5 inch bait. Got 2 Coho today between foods and Mussel Beach. 140 ft of water hooks at 45 ft. One on a mini g in cop car colour. Other on pink and clear hoochie.

Attachments

• 20240703_140220.jpg
    20240703_140220.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
You'll get them sporadically out at Hali West as bycatch. They can be so thick you are lucky if your gear gets to the bottom. Seem to be getting bigger ever season.
Thanks for the report..sounds promising...maybe less of a needle in a haystack then i was expecting...only the second year making the pilgrimage with my own boat to ukee so still working on my waypoints.( aside from the list that showed up on this forum of hotspots) ..ive spent fair amount of time on my chartplotter making a hit list of good looking spots....likely places that have official names already but for my purposes they just get a number...

Last edited:
Thanks for the report..sounds promising...maybe less of a needle in a haystack then i was expecting...only the second year making the pilgrimage with my own boat to ukee so still working on my waypoints.( aside from the list that showed up on this forum of hotspots) ..ive spent fair amount of time on my chartplotter making a hit list of good looking spots....likely places that have official names already but for my purposes they just get a number...
Sadly I'm doing the same thing. Sold my old boat geared up and forgot to get my offshore waypoints out of my Lowrance so starting over again!!

Took a couple out of town friends out for a couple hours just after high tide. Picked up a teen Spring and 4 Coho. Fat fish. Lost 3 others. 60 to 90 ft of water 40 to 50 ft on the riggers. Between Foods and Mussel beach. Could see the dark bait ball clouds from the surface and drove right by them. Dummy Flashers, Clear and pink hoochie with duck bill on one side and Wee G cop car on the other.

Attachments

• 20240705_174434.jpg
    20240705_174434.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 20240705_174340.jpg
    20240705_174340.jpg
    392.9 KB · Views: 124
I have read the regulations front to back as well as the notices and I don't see the 1 fish or the 45-80cm slot size restriction in 123 like there was last year.
Has anyone seen it? Or is it wide open for chinook retention after July 14th in 123?

They will usually release a fisheries notice close to the 15th stating that seaward of the boundary line is slot size.

One week out from ukee 2024, hopefully it's a quick week at work.. how is redcan / black rock / lighthouse fishing these days? Last year that was the place to be...pretty much the whole 1nm Boundary was on fire....is it a repeat this year?
Tightlines

Never had to go outside the 1nm boundary. This will be the first time we will be fishing past the 15th, but that will be great as it will decrease the amount of people fishing inside :). Food, Great Bear, Sail Rock, Mears, Cree, Red Can, Little Beach, Lighthouse, Wya.....................What more do you need? Only time we go outside is for Hali's. Splash the boat Wednesday evening. Can't wait. jc Tuna Maru

Never had to go outside the 1nm boundary. This will be the first time we will be fishing past the 15th, but that will be great as it will decrease the amount of people fishing inside :). Food, Great Bear, Sail Rock, Mears, Cree, Red Can, Little Beach, Lighthouse, Wya.....................What more do you need? Only time we go outside is for Hali's. Splash the boat Wednesday evening. Can't wait. jc Tuna Maru
Mara then Flo were the spots this week.
Rumours of squid mooching for salmon turning on today.

Just heading to Ukee and want to try mooching squid. Question do most people bounce bottom or use a float. How deep of water and how deep off a float? I have probably bought 10 different types of squid jigs so hope one works. Do you catch the squid the night before or during the day? How long will they live in a bucket?

Back