2024 Ucluelet Reports

You could always fish them under a bobber. Slide a bead on the line then your bobber, then another bead. Tie to a 1 to 2oz trolling weight then your leader. Let out enough line to your preferred fishing depth and double over a rubber band to lock it on your line above the top bead, then snip the excess rubber band leaving just enough to stay locked on your line. It will act as a bobber stop as the line pays through your bobber stopping the lead at your preferred depth. Then you just wait until your bobber dissappears and it's 'fish on'. Super fun and easy way to fish squid. Especially live ones. Enjoy. jc Tuna Maru
Probably do the same thing with live herring ?
I know gotta get herring but in theory?

You could always fish them under a bobber. Slide a bead on the line then your bobber, then another bead. Tie to a 1 to 2oz trolling weight then your leader. Let out enough line to your preferred fishing depth and double over a rubber band to lock it on your line above the top bead, then snip the excess rubber band leaving just enough to stay locked on your line. It will act as a bobber stop as the line pays through your bobber stopping the lead at your preferred depth. Then you just wait until your bobber dissappears and it's 'fish on'. Super fun and easy way to fish squid. Especially live ones. Enjoy. jc Tuna Maru
Yeah great idea. I have bobber stops for river fishing. Lots of vids for live squid but nothing for dead squid.

Took my kid and got another 30+ squid at Whiskey dock at 7pm before dark. After I put him to bed thought I'd try squiding at 52 steps to avoid the crowds. Got down there at 11pm. Setup an LED construction light off the side of my boat. Turned on the sonar and let the fun begin. Got 68 in about 30 mins.

Can't wait to try drift mooching for salmon. If anyone has any pointers how to do it let me know. I'm thinking just use a banana weight and leader. Hook the squid mid body to let is spin.
Now that they are dead, I'd put one in a teaser head and troll it.

Just a simple question when down for a few days do you find it better to ice your lings whole then fillet when at home.
That's what I do on short trips. Easier for keeping legal and fish comes out great. No slimey bags, just salt ice. Or I've now used Ukee Seafoods processing twice and only had to deal with iced fish from the last evening or morning when I get home. There's ice with a money box on the wall there.

Salmon eye website says off shore about 10 miles for steadier action. Probably out toward Hyson. Ride the swells back in.

Where is Hyson and where is Mara Rock? Sorry, I did try and look this up before asking.
Should see Mara Rk on your charts. See attached screenshot. Hyson is about 25mins straight West of the light house.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240720-094340_Boating.jpg
    Screenshot_20240720-094340_Boating.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 136
Got a late start with some kids today at 11am. They were having so much fun squiding the night before till 3am. Saw a few nice Spring and Coho from guys at the dock taken at Great Bear early in the morning. By the time we got there wind was already bad. Kids were turning green. Moved over to Foods but only had 2 bites to pop the pins. Called her quits for the day.

The morning bite in Ukee is on fire!
Had 6 springs in the boat by 8:15, nothing big but good eaters. Also got 3 Hali on the drift, and picked up 3 Rockfish for dinner.
Chinook were around Great Bear and Alley on glow white hoochies, Hali out at Lighthouse Bank on herring.

Attachments

• IMG_20240723_160242_225.jpg
    IMG_20240723_160242_225.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 140
Had 6 springs in the boat by 8:15, nothing big but good eaters. Also got 3 Hali on the drift, and picked up 3 Rockfish for dinner.
Chinook were around Great Bear and Alley on glow white hoochies, Hali out at Lighthouse Bank on herring.
Nice haul. Good to hear. Taking out some friend tmrw morning.

The girls smashed fish today in Ukee! Took my wife, 2 sisters and a niece out this morning fishing around Florencia Bay. They went 7 for 11 on Chinook, with the biggest being 18lbs. Glow white squirt and brown turd hoochie was the ticket today. Sad to be heading home tomorrow. Not looking forward to the August **** show in Sooke.

Attachments

• IMG_20240724_145157_063.jpg
    IMG_20240724_145157_063.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20240724_171710491.jpg
    PXL_20240724_171710491.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 111
  • PXL_20240724_174537170.jpg
    PXL_20240724_174537170.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 112
The girls smashed fish today in Ukee! Took my wife, 2 sisters and a niece out this morning fishing around Florencia Bay. They went 7 for 11 on Chinook, with the biggest being 18lbs. Glow white squirt and brown turd hoochie was the ticket today. Sad to be heading home tomorrow. Not looking forward to the August **** show in Sooke.
Were you fishing on the Tofino side of Florencia?

Nice report 👍

Annual family trip to Ukee last week, always a treat, such a beautiful place. Got three nice Hali (119cm/112/99) out on Amphitrite bank on the back troll drift. 10” white Hali hawg with herring and a little Butt juice.
Lots of small herring bait balls this year hanging around Foods, Beg, Alley, Great bear and the Black Sea bass are all over them, Great fish taco’s. We saw them slashing at the surface multiple times. I just finished putting on a new anchovie in the teaser head and placed it in the water beside the boat,when the other rod went off, as I grabbed it, a black seabass smashed the chovie 3 feet from the boat, lots of fun for the kids. Blue flasher with white flash fly at 39 feet for the coho, lemon lime flasher with weegee copcar or green anchovie teaser head for Chinook 55 to 75’
Hearing aid flasher /spoon combo did well too. Big thanks to Ukee seafoods, always kind and professional service and there chip ice being available to the public everyday for a good karma donation is such a nice convenience. 🍻

Attachments

• IMG_0818.jpeg
    IMG_0818.jpeg
    331.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0810.jpeg
    IMG_0810.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 91
Back home from our 3 days of fishing in Ukee.
Today was a chill 3hr morning taking the kids out Salmon fishing at Alley Rock. They went 2 for 4 on Chinooks, with my oldest daughter catching her biggest salmon ever (14lbs).
Glow white squirt was our hottest lure.
Can't wait till next year, only 365 days to go.....

Attachments

• PXL_20240725_141533599.jpg
    PXL_20240725_141533599.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 97
Back