2024 Nanaimo Reports

Somewhere in this book, Gaunt mentions research showing a hoochie with a bit of herring or anchovy strip impaled on the hook performs better for cohoes late in the season.
Does it work to catch more hatchery ones? lol Cause holy smokes its getting harder to find clipped coho out there, all the big ones over 10 pounds are wild of course. Also no clue why area 14 is open to one wild and area 17 isn't, more senseless regs.

Gave the boat one last run today, since the weather was good. Didn't try trolling for salmon at all, plenty in the freezer already. Tried jigging for lings for a change of pace, and because its the last day. Got a few but none keeper size. Oh well, boat is put to bed and ready for the list of winter projects on it I have in mind to start.

Had one of the most fun days I’ve had all season yesterday afternoon. Fished off Gabriola. Found the birds, found the bait and started jigging…with minimal success. I’m a horrible jigger, my friend is not and is usually quite successful. Fish were finning all around us, good size coho swimming all around the boat. So we started casting to them. Very quickly lost count at how many hookups we had. 4 +/- 10lb wild coho, all released, so many smalls and a pile that didn’t stick. We were hooking up almost every cast, often multiple hits that didn’t stick on the same retrieve. So much fun!

Fished off the flat tops for a couple hours after work. Pretty quiet. A couple shakers and a hog of a wild coho. Lots of chum (assuming) jumping and a pair of humpbacks just in sight out in the straight.

Back