2024 Gulf Island Reports

Fished porlier yesterday from noon to 3ish. Couldn’t find any hatchery coho just afew small wilds. Slack tide the bite really came on for some big springs, the girlfriend had lots of fun with them, super feisty fish. DFO was out checking boats. They were very friendly, beauty day out there just couldn’t find any keepers

Fished Thrasher this afternoon from 230 till 530, landed 1 hatchery spring and a couple solid bites early on, seemed to die off for slack though. No keepers. Got some nice prawns on the way in though.

Fished from 10:30 to 1:30 between Thrasher and the Grande and the action was non-stop an hour either side of the high tide. Spoon on one side and the ghost flash fly on the other; 100’ - 130’ was the zone. Had to wade through a lot of wilds to retain two hatchery coho. The wilds were a pound or two heavier than the hatchery I got to the boat.
Just to add to the debate on rigging hoochies/flashflies I lost at least five fish in a row including a solid spring that took a good run and spit the hook on the turn. This was on the Flashfly rigged with the swivel and one siwash hook method. The hook was sharp but not sticking so I swapped it out for the same flashfly rigged with tandem hooks and started getting them to the boat.
A great first day on the water since MarchIMG_7590.jpeg

Fished from 10:30 to 1:30 between Thrasher and the Grande and the action was non-stop an hour either side of the high tide. Spoon on one side and the ghost flash fly on the other; 100’ - 130’ was the zone. Had to wade through a lot of wilds to retain two hatchery coho. The wilds were a pound or two heavier than the hatchery I got to the boat.
Just to add to the debate on rigging hoochies/flashflies I lost at least five fish in a row including a solid spring that took a good run and spit the hook on the turn. This was on the Flashfly rigged with the swivel and one siwash hook method. The hook was sharp but not sticking so I swapped it out for the same flashfly rigged with tandem hooks and started getting them to the boat.
A great first day on the water since MarchView attachment 107692
Nice work, was definitely better in the afternoon when we got there. Where exactly is The Grande though? Off Enterance?

Oh ok, like outside Commodore Passage?
Yes, if you exit Commodore Passage heading North and turn West along the Gabriola Island coast for about a mile you are at the Grande.
I find I can run into fish anywhere between the flat tops off the East end of Gabriola to Whalebone to the West. I’ll often do this long tack then pop out to Entrance if fishing is slow and weather permits.

Yes, if you exit Commodore Passage heading North and turn West along the Gabriola Island coast for about a mile you are at the Grande.
I find I can run into fish anywhere between the flat tops off the East end of Gabriola to Whalebone to the West. I’ll often do this long tack then pop out to Entrance if fishing is slow and weather permits.
Sweet, thanks. Thrasher is just 15 minutes from our cabin, I'll have to get out there more. Picked up about a 45cm spring (son said it was hatchery but I didn't look) yesterday afternoon on a no bananas spoon while trolling the west side of Decourcy on our way up to visit friends on Mudge. I don't have a lot of time trolling on my own so happy to know I'm doing something right to get fish to the boat this weekend.

Fished Thrasher this afternoon from 230 till 530, landed 1 hatchery spring and a couple solid bites early on, seemed to die off for slack though. No keepers. Got some nice prawns on the way in though.
It definitely slowed down around 1:30

Back