2024 Gulf Island Reports

I went on today. 1000am until 200pm at Tumbo channel and fished towards Active Pass. Constant action, we didn't get any chinook. Because we were fishing 25 to 40 ft at 7km/h in 200-300ft. We got our limits on coho using a spoons. Then we went for shallow water and trolled spoons with a ridiculous amount of scent on them. Got our lingcod. We never jig, just slow troll spoons for lings. It was a good day, tons of fish around and bait everywhere. The coho was delicious.
Slow troll naked spoons for the lings or behind a flasher?

Fished from the Grande toward Thrasher from 7 to 11:30 and experienced pretty steady action. Pretty much a repeat of a week and a half ago except way more wild than hatchery coho, some were real beauties too.
On our first pass we tucked in around the flat tops to avoid the wind and got into a few slot sized Chinook there. We quickly returned to the Grande and had consistent coho action 100’-130’ with several double headers.

Attachments

• IMG_7668.jpeg
    IMG_7668.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 78
can we keep springs in the Galiano to Porlier area now ?
nope. non-retention all around galiano still. As of July 15th chinook retention is allowed up near Thrasher area so that's the closest place for chinook retention if you're in the southern gulf islands. Areas around Sidney have also been open to rentention for a while now. Best to make sure you have the Fishing BC app downloaded on your phone/tablet as it syncs up with latest DFO regs and you can search regs by location, species, etc.

Fished Wain Rock (Moses Point) and surrounding area Sat & Sun - terribly slow, had exactly 1 hit that didn't stick. Half a dozen boats out there but didn't see any nets. Brown/clear jellies and algee was present, but not horrible. A few bait balls, low bait presence overall.

Checked surrounding open areas to the west, on either side of Satellite channel. Not much happening. Saw smaller anchovies at surface.

Slow troll naked spoons for the lings or behind a flas

I fish alone often, and use auto pilot. So I troll really long lines from tumbo channel to Cabbage. So far I've had better luck across Cabbage. As soon as I find a hatchery coho I try to stay close as possible to that area. Activepass area is good but I've noticed it's typically a little more rough then tumbo area.
Made the run from CBM to Cabbage island and Tumbo Channel had a great a day managed to get our 4 hatch coho , stayed in the channel till the wind died down then moved out in front of Cabbage island Georgia starlight side … so much bait so much coho lots of wild mixed
Got 3 Dungys on the way home 👍

nope. non-retention all around galiano still. As of July 15th chinook retention is allowed up near Thrasher area so that's the closest place for chinook retention if you're in the southern gulf islands. Areas around Sidney have also been open to rentention for a while now. Best to make sure you have the Fishing BC app downloaded on your phone/tablet as it syncs up with latest DFO regs and you can search regs by location, species, etc.
That's not how I'm reading the regulations in the Fishing BC app. It shows me:
Chinook salmon (1/2/10):
17-1, 17-2, 17-3, 17-4, 17-8, 17-10, 17-11, 17-12, 17-18, 17-21
July 15 2024 to March 31, 2025
Daily Limit 1
Min 62cm Max 80cm

Galiano and Porlier is 17-3.

It's where I'm headed this afternoon.

That's not how I'm reading the regulations in the Fishing BC app. It shows me:
Chinook salmon (1/2/10):
17-1, 17-2, 17-3, 17-4, 17-8, 17-10, 17-11, 17-12, 17-18, 17-21
July 15 2024 to March 31, 2025
Daily Limit 1
Min 62cm Max 80cm

Yeah that’s how I read it too. The outside of Galiano is closed to Chinook until Sept 1, the bottom near Active Pass (area 18) is open Aug 1… but you’re good in 17-3 now.

I think I'm going to give up on Porlier Pass. I caught a not quite big enough sized Spring out there yesterday, which I released, and the fish finder was going bonkers at times but the area and its currents are so annoying to deal with, especially as I was trying to hug the structures on the west side entrance. Still a beautiful day on the water which I wouldn't trade for anything.

I think I'm going to give up on Porlier Pass. I caught a not quite big enough sized Spring out there yesterday, which I released, and the fish finder was going bonkers at times but the area and its currents are so annoying to deal with, especially as I was trying to hug the structures on the west side entrance. Still a beautiful day on the water which I wouldn't trade for anything.
Yesterday would have been tough for sure. Try to hit the neap tide days around Porlier… easier to fish.

can we keep springs in the Galiano to Porlier area now ?
Sorry, misread your original post and thought you were asking about the outside of galiano (area 29-5 specifically) from Active up to Porlier which is still not open for chinook retention. The outside of galiano is the most popular spot to fish and we will have to wait until area 29 opens up for that.

For area 17 (inside of galiano) you are correct that we are now allowed to retain 1 spring (62-80cm) as of July 15th so I'm sure there will be some boats out there already looking for some table fare.

I'll be coming over to Galiano tomorrow midday from Vancouver and will likely made a pitstop at Thrasher to look for some springs / hatch coho so will report back. As always, the Fishing BC app is the best resource available for finding areas and sub-areas regs for all species. Thanks for correcting me and tight lines to those fishing in area 17!

Well, we did manage a pit stop at thrasher on our way to galiano today but the weather forecast wasn’t exactly spot on and it was a bit sloppy out there this afternoon. We fished thrasher and down to the grande and back and managed to find our 4 clipped ho’s amidst a few more wild ones. Kept the springs off really well which is great when you aren’t allowed to keep them but we were hoping we’d get a spring or two on our coho gear. Anyways, some great fish for the freezer and nice to see so many ho’s around. We found em deep at 100-120 after no pick up top.

Well, we did manage a pit stop at thrasher on our way to galiano today but the weather forecast wasn’t exactly spot on and it was a bit sloppy out there this afternoon. We fished thrasher and down to the grande and back and managed to find our 4 clipped ho’s amidst a few more wild ones. Kept the springs off really well which is great when you aren’t allowed to keep them but we were hoping we’d get a spring or two on our coho gear. Anyways, some great fish for the freezer and nice to see so many ho’s around. We found em deep at 100-120 after no pick up top.
Pretty sure Chinooks are open there right now.

Pretty sure Chinooks are open there right now.
Yup. They are open on the Nanaimo side of thrasher which is mostly where we were fishing but we couldn’t find any with our coho gear this time. We were hoping to pick one up while coho fishing as we’ve done inadvertently many times of late but of course once chinook are open for retention they decide not to bite. Oh well, settling for some nice coho is a decent consolation prize.

Back