2024 Gulf Island Reports

The water temp was really high last couple weeks. Seen a 77f right in the middle of the gulf straight off Gabriola

Last edited:
Yup. They are open on the Nanaimo side of thrasher which is mostly where we were fishing but we couldn’t find any with our coho gear this time. We were hoping to pick one up while coho fishing as we’ve done inadvertently many times of late but of course once chinook are open for retention they decide not to bite. Oh well, settling for some nice coho is a decent consolation prize.
Yes it’s uncanny how that happens

So please correct me if I am wrong but as I understand the regulations area 18-11 is now open for chinooks Aug 1st one per day hatch or wild slot limit apply 62-80 cm
if someone could confirm that would be great

We fished East Entrace to Active Pass this morning on the short slack. Line wasn’t down 3 minutes and we had an 86 cms which went right back in. 10 minutes later landed a 69 cms spring. 20 minutes later a nice sized hatch coho, then a wild coho. All of this on one rod as the starboard rigger was having issues. Finally got the starboard rigger going and then a big hit and a huge run, we saw him at the surface then another big run and we lost him. Probably too big to keep. Then the current picked up and the we fished Collinson area which was dead quiet. Fun morning. Flash Fly and a No Bananas spoon various depths as the pinnacles rise up quickly there. Hopefully people will realize that the ferries and commercial traffic need some room - saw an eastbound ferry go pretty hard to port to go around the various boats fishing - if we as a group don’t pay attention we will eventually not be able to fish there.

We fished East Entrace to Active Pass this morning on the short slack. Line wasn’t down 3 minutes and we had an 86 cms which went right back in. 10 minutes later landed a 69 cms spring. 20 minutes later a nice sized hatch coho, then a wild coho. All of this on one rod as the starboard rigger was having issues. Finally got the starboard rigger going and then a big hit and a huge run, we saw him at the surface then another big run and we lost him. Probably too big to keep. Then the current picked up and the we fished Collinson area which was dead quiet. Fun morning. Flash Fly and a No Bananas spoon various depths as the pinnacles rise up quickly there. Hopefully people will realize that the ferries and commercial traffic need some room - saw an eastbound ferry go pretty hard to port to go around the various boats fishing - if we as a group don’t pay attention we will eventually not be able to fish there.
Saw you out there! I was in the proline, That was a beauty fish you released. Good on you. I had 2 hatch hos and landed a 72 cm spring. the coho were good size but I had already got my 2 hatch in the straight while I was waiting for the tide to slow….. Oh well. fun fishing in there.

Saw you out there! I was in the proline, That was a beauty fish you released. Good on you. I had 2 hatch hos and landed a 72 cm spring. the coho were good size but I had already got my 2 hatch in the straight while I was waiting for the tide to slow….. Oh well. fun fishing in there.
Was out on that tack yesterday evening. Lost a screamer, and then we got a decent 10lb right to the boat and I just completely rookied it with the net. All me 🤦‍♂️ oh well, there’s fish there. Try again tonight.

Back