2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Are squid in? My son would like to jig some but we always seem to miss them by a couple of weeks.
we had some over a month ago. some around but not schooled up. if the hoards of sea lions are sunning during the day in the harbour? then you know the squids are in. either than that stay up late and check under the lights.

After some down time with my kicker acting up and my wife's bday which was a late night party I got my **** together. Got the wife and her friend out for an evening troll on the wall. Managed to go 3 for 4 on springs. Lost the 1 to a netting foul. Also 2 dinkers released. All 8-12 lb hatchery.
White hootchies.
First time the wife really enjoyed herself on the water in a while. She didn't care for trolling hours with nothing at the bell bouy and Ambleside in the past. Being half cut with her pal and steady action was the key. She didn't even get up to our place last year but has realized the beauty of bamfield again this trip

Attachments

• 20240610_190322.jpg
    20240610_190322.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 318
  • 20240610_190255.jpg
    20240610_190255.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 311
  • 20240610_190352.jpg
    20240610_190352.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 310
To answer question from guys in bishs boat been good my first buddies left with lots of fish and fun.
Today was cold rough rain wind sun rain wind repeat but got a good 22 lber and limit of smaller there is herring squid needle fish and shrimp creel in the fish,so us3 just about anything

Just got back today after after 3 days in Bamfield. Was pretty good. Fished Kirby mostly and up North Edward King. Most of the springs were in the 8-12 lb range with some bigger ones mixed in. Lot of coho around now. We also did night shift at the wall, and there were fish there as well.

Like Wolf was saying Tuesday was just ugly weather wise.

Yesterday headed down and dropped off some fish to St Jeans.
20240612_045000.jpg20240612_203319.jpg20240610_154908.jpg

Last edited:
After some down time with my kicker acting up and my wife's bday which was a late night party I got my **** together. Got the wife and her friend out for an evening troll on the wall. Managed to go 3 for 4 on springs. Lost the 1 to a netting foul. Also 2 dinkers released. All 8-12 lb hatchery.
White hootchies.
First time the wife really enjoyed herself on the water in a while. She didn't care for trolling hours with nothing at the bell bouy and Ambleside in the past. Being half cut with her pal and steady action was the key. She didn't even get up to our place last year but has realized the beauty of bamfield again this trip
Half cut and steady action is the magic sauce for most of us, no? Haha

Just got back today after after 3 days in Bamfield. Was pretty good. Fished Kirby mostly and up North Edward King. Most of the springs were in the 8-12 lb range with some bigger ones mixed in. Lot of coho around now. We also did night shift at the wall, and there were fish there as well.

Like Wolf was saying Tuesday was just ugly weather wise.

Yesterday headed down and dropped off some fish to St Jeans.
View attachment 107227View attachment 107226View attachment 107228
Your pictures make it look like the water was calm. I was there. It was anything but calm.... till we were leaving.

Was in Bamfield with Spring Velocity Tues-Thurs in my boat. Per my comment above it was anything but calm. Challenging the limits of my 17 Double Eagle for sure.
Fishing was as noted. Tons of small salmon with a few good ones mixed in. Stuck mostly to Kirby but evenings off Brady. Did well on Ling Cod Wednesday. Took home 6 salmon and 9 lingers. Release most salmon as it is early in the season with lots to come.

We drove up Tuesday am and got to Port Alberni around 6:30. Wind was 25K East down the canal so decided what the hell, lets drive the road in for first time. Road was good. Gotta be aware and careful with traffic of work vehicles, single lane bridges and blind corners but a beautiful drive. Ramp is steep at low tide and compound for parking is just under 1K. So a long walk. Thumb worked for getting a ride to ramp but no traffic on way back so an uphill walk.
Another great trip with my son. At 14 he is a rockstar to travel and fish with. Rolls with the punches and looks at challenges as part of the adventure. Fun to have SV and Blue Wolf up there representing Victoria with me. I look forward to next year... and the years after that.
Thanks Bamfield!! (and thanks Jarrid for setting up the accomodations)

Oh… right. Dave was there too.
Sorry Dave
OH i thought that was him when I saw flasher zipped by with a lost fish...LOL LOL
Just got home late last night had a blast with all my hunting buddies . Rough water for 6 out of the 7 days got out for halibut only one day and lings which was great.
Salmon fishing as always was good pick a spot all good Austin, kirby, brady the usual spots even manged one up from kirby beutiful 22 lber in pouring rain and oh surprise wind !!!poor buddy looked like he had a shower by the time we got it in as wind and rain was directly in his face LOL
Even some coho were showing up not huge but nice to get.

White hoochies and and variety of spoons I think I tried 10 different ones AP of course worked awesome , and a new guys prototype worked well brass worked very well.. bait in bellys was all over the place from squid to small to big herring to tiny little needle fish.
Beside the store the restaurant is up again and prices are very good 30 wings for 20 bucks halibut and cheaps very reasonable, I personally didnt try as I had tons of food but locals I chatted with said it is very good...

Gas is pricy there as a side not 2.30 a ltr

OH i thought that was him when I saw flasher zipped by with a lost fish...LOL LOL
Just got home late last night had a blast with all my hunting buddies . Rough water for 6 out of the 7 days got out for halibut only one day and lings which was great.
Salmon fishing as always was good pick a spot all good Austin, kirby, brady the usual spots even manged one up from kirby beutiful 22 lber in pouring rain and oh surprise wind !!!poor buddy looked like he had a shower by the time we got it in as wind and rain was directly in his face LOL
Even some coho were showing up not huge but nice to get.
bahhaahaa, you must be talking about one of my safe releases on a shaker! My only regrets - 1 broke the hook, and another got the best of me while my index finger was bleeding like a stuck pig from stabbing myself 10 minutes prior and I just couldn't stay on top of it (a new excuse for the repertoire) but damn distracting!

Was in Bamfield with Spring Velocity Tues-Thurs in my boat. Per my comment above it was anything but calm. Challenging the limits of my 17 Double Eagle for sure.
Fishing was as noted. Tons of small salmon with a few good ones mixed in. Stuck mostly to Kirby but evenings off Brady. Did well on Ling Cod Wednesday. Took home 6 salmon and 9 lingers. Release most salmon as it is early in the season with lots to come.

We drove up Tuesday am and got to Port Alberni around 6:30. Wind was 25K East down the canal so decided what the hell, lets drive the road in for first time. Road was good. Gotta be aware and careful with traffic of work vehicles, single lane bridges and blind corners but a beautiful drive. Ramp is steep at low tide and compound for parking is just under 1K. So a long walk. Thumb worked for getting a ride to ramp but no traffic on way back so an uphill walk.
Another great trip with my son. At 14 he is a rockstar to travel and fish with. Rolls with the punches and looks at challenges as part of the adventure. Fun to have SV and Blue Wolf up there representing Victoria with me. I look forward to next year... and the years after that.
Thanks Bamfield!! (and thanks Jarrid for setting up the accomodations)
nice report tips up , first few words on the road , good news ! curious as to where lingers were taken , i would like to try for em one day myself , care to share where you caught em .

Sorry. I am generally happy to share info and tactics but ling spots are like Hali spots. Takes time and effort to find them and best kept with the family secrets.
We just started trying spots that looked good on the gps for the last few years and marking success. Keep moving around and make sure you know where the RCA areas are and have a descending device ready as you will catch rock cod also.

Hello, a group of us are coming up to Bamfield from Victoria for the first time to do some fishing at the end of the month. We are only down for a couple days (2-1/2 days of fishing). We are thinking we will put the boat in at Port Alberni and come down the canal. I have heard to be mindful of the wind and to leave early morning before 9am. I'm wondering how the boat launch is in Port for parking and water depth. I'm wondering if there is a local map showing the names of the fishing spots that are popular. We are hoping to do some Salmon and bottom fishing for Ling and Halibut; current and weather dependant. . We were thinking it would be nice to try and catch some sockeye if possible but have never fished them. Is it worth spending a bunch of our limited time to do so or just focus on the springs and coho just outside Bamfield. Obviously no one has a crystal bal, just curious on how other people may approach it. Thanks in advance

Back