2024 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Just got back from another fantastic trip to Bamfield staying at Mills Landing. The original plan was to go offshore with a guide one day and fish on our own for the balance. We had two boats booked for one day for the four of us but one had to drop out on short notice. We were able to change the booking to one boat for two days so we didn’t get out much on our own.
Halibut were fussy and apparently not as hungry as the black cod but we managed our two unders each over the two days and loaded up on the cod. When we packed it in for the bottom fishing one day reeling the gear in resulted in a triple header of the little buggers.
We had no problem finding our limits of hatchery coho offshore but the latest run of springs had apparently moved on and we could only scratch a few up. Our two best were caught in our two afternoon/evening two hour shifts on our own and they were 17-18 pound bookends.
Weather was amazing right up to our Sunday morning departure and visit to the Clutesi zoo to put the boat back on the trailer in the pouring rain.
IMG_7776.jpeg

Last edited:
Just Back from a Thursday to Sunday trip. Was another great trip. Limit for 2 on springs and coho. Very surprized and delighted to get that many hatch coho. 8- 10lbs. for the hatch coho Largest wild was a 14lb. beauty. Springs went from 12 - 22lbs. A variety of gear worked on everything. A couple caught at 50 ft on the riggers , the rest at 37ft. Most frustrating time was had at Harbour Entrance as we got sealed 3 times. (If I had a gun I would definatly use it ) Shakers were another issue there. Not so much anywhere else. The road in/out was a real treat after YEARS of pounding. Time now to fish the local waters again ..........if only that rediculous slot size would disapear forever , how dumb. Cheers !!!!

Me @Birdman and @Lookout just got back from a 4 day trip to Bamfield. Fishing was pretty good but as others said, murky, warm water in some places. All 10 people on the trip got their limit though. Our most consistent seemed to be the first light at Fleming, it then really seemed to cool off after an hour or so. @Birdman ran to cree and did well there. Beale was also good. Tried some of the spots we've had success in the past on the way home Assits Island and San Mateo Bay but nothing happening there. Bait definitely seemed to be the ticket for us, tried small spoons and only got shakers, white hoochie hooked up once. Most fish we got were at 40'. Amazing warm and calm weather on the trip, can't wait for next year.

On my way back from a 5 night trip to Bamfield. Spectacular as usual. 5 of us on the trip. Limits on salmon. 8 hali and a handful of other bottom fish. Filled 4 totes at Mills. We went off shore twice. The coho were insane out there. The first day was really productive and then the second offshore day the brown warm water showed up. We worked around inshore to fill licenses. As mentioned, the early bite was great. Already booked for next year. Can't wait to be back.

I thinking of heading up to the Barkley Sound/Bamfield with my wife and our Labrador Retriever for three days and two nights next week. Accommodations is no problem, we will be staying on our boat at anchor. We will be doing a bit of fishing, but scenery and checking out the area are the primary reason for the outing. I would like to move around quite a bit. Its also important (for my wife and our lab) to have at least two shore breaks per day, however if possible prefer not to bring my zodiac cause its a chore cycling it off the roof. I can beach on a sand or light gravel on a flood tide if its steep enough but would prefer a dock with or without services that allows dogs and has an trail to go for a walk. I realize this is a tall order. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I thinking of heading up to the Barkley Sound/Bamfield with my wife and our Labrador Retriever for three days and two nights next week. Accommodations is no problem, we will be staying on our boat at anchor. We will be doing a bit of fishing, but scenery and checking out the area are the primary reason for the outing. I would like to move around quite a bit. Its also important (for my wife and our lab) to have at least two shore breaks per day, however if possible prefer not to bring my zodiac cause its a chore cycling it off the roof. I can beach on a sand or light gravel on a flood tide if its steep enough but would prefer a dock with or without services that allows dogs and has an trail to go for a walk. I realize this is a tall order. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Ross Ilets or there is a spot on the imperial side of flemming. reefy to get into but a nice beach and safe protected anchorage.

I thinking of heading up to the Barkley Sound/Bamfield with my wife and our Labrador Retriever for three days and two nights next week. Accommodations is no problem, we will be staying on our boat at anchor. We will be doing a bit of fishing, but scenery and checking out the area are the primary reason for the outing. I would like to move around quite a bit. Its also important (for my wife and our lab) to have at least two shore breaks per day, however if possible prefer not to bring my zodiac cause its a chore cycling it off the roof. I can beach on a sand or light gravel on a flood tide if its steep enough but would prefer a dock with or without services that allows dogs and has a trail to go for a walk. I realize this is a tall order. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
You may want to contact the Port Alberni Yacht Club about using their dock at Robbers Pass.
Stosh

Wrapped up a four day trip with three buddies on Sunday with 13 springs between 11-17 lbs and nine coho between 6-8 lbs. Mostly fished Sanford & Kerby; but also did a few passes at Whitlestone, Beale & Cree/Austin. We had pretty even action on anchovies and white hoochies, typically between 40-60 ft on the rigger. Encountered big swings in water temp & clarity as mentioned above. It was hard to keep the gear in the water for the morning bite on Saturday! There was a humpback feeding in the shallows at Sanford and Kirby over a few days that was launching ~8 ft in the air feeding on bait and putting on a show.

Back on Saturday for another four days with the family. Hope to put the kids on some nice fish!

Just finished up a 3 night and 3 day trip to Bamfield. It was my first time ever using guides and I can’t help but feel disappointed as did the guys that flew out from Calgary. The first day we spent 8 hours trolling around at 27 and 37’ never changed hooks or depths all day. We switched anchovies a couple times but the “guide” was actually straightening them out and they had zero action. No surprise we caught zero fish on that side of the boat all day. The next couple days we were with a new guide and we got all our salmon early in the am. He told us he doesn’t fish for lingcod and won’t clean rock fish… then we were told it was too windy to go off shore because it was blowing 15knots… we actually never touched a jigging rod all 3 days. I guess the lesson I learned is I shouldn’t have sold my boat and to expect very little if I use a guide again. We did end up with limits of Chinook and had a blast at the beach. Over all the trip was great. Just disappointed with the service and quality of the guides… thanks for listening to me vent!

Just finished up a 3 night and 3 day trip to Bamfield. It was my first time ever using guides and I can’t help but feel disappointed as did the guys that flew out from Calgary. The first day we spent 8 hours trolling around at 27 and 37’ never changed hooks or depths all day. We switched anchovies a couple times but the “guide” was actually straightening them out and they had zero action. No surprise we caught zero fish on that side of the boat all day. The next couple days we were with a new guide and we got all our salmon early in the am. He told us he doesn’t fish for lingcod and won’t clean rock fish… then we were told it was too windy to go off shore because it was blowing 15knots… we actually never touched a jigging rod all 3 days. I guess the lesson I learned is I shouldn’t have sold my boat and to expect very little if I use a guide again. We did end up with limits of Chinook and had a blast at the beach. Over all the trip was great. Just disappointed with the service and quality of the guides… thanks for listening to me vent!
I'm real sorry to hear about your negative experience...... there's no excuse for what you went thru. Unfortunately some guides get full of themselves because they can catch a few salmon when the bite is on and forget their job is to entertain their guests who are paying good money for a fun experience. I personally fired a dozen guides like these until i found guys that wanted to please their guests...... seeking feed back from them regarding their guide. I used to always make sure of what species was the primary target and try and address that using the tidal and wind patterns to dictate how we would plan the days ahead.

Finding a true professional is harder than it seems which is why some of the guides are booked 1-2 years in advance and others, with no repeat business (for good reason) can be booked a week or 2 ahead of time during peak season.

Arrived on Monday and fishing for springs has been very slow. Picking up the odd smaller spring but the big springs are hard to come by. Have caught six coho so far so atleast that's good. Hopefully the rain eases and the fishing improves.

Just finished up a 3 night and 3 day trip to Bamfield. It was my first time ever using guides and I can’t help but feel disappointed as did the guys that flew out from Calgary. The first day we spent 8 hours trolling around at 27 and 37’ never changed hooks or depths all day. We switched anchovies a couple times but the “guide” was actually straightening them out and they had zero action. No surprise we caught zero fish on that side of the boat all day. The next couple days we were with a new guide and we got all our salmon early in the am. He told us he doesn’t fish for lingcod and won’t clean rock fish… then we were told it was too windy to go off shore because it was blowing 15knots… we actually never touched a jigging rod all 3 days. I guess the lesson I learned is I shouldn’t have sold my boat and to expect very little if I use a guide again. We did end up with limits of Chinook and had a blast at the beach. Over all the trip was great. Just disappointed with the service and quality of the guides… thanks for listening to me ven

Sad to say, but if you’ve run your own boat for 5+ years, I doubt you’ll find a guide that will be better than you. But, you would hope your guide would be happy to at least listen to your suggestions since he IS working for you. With the new road, Bamfield is only going to get busier and will attract more inexperienced guides. Maybe an experienced guide should set up an off season fishing guide training program.
Stosh

I'm real sorry to hear about your negative experience...... there's no excuse for what you went thru. Unfortunately some guides get full of themselves because they can catch a few salmon when the bite is on and forget their job is to entertain their guests who are paying good money for a fun experience. I personally fired a dozen guides like these until i found guys that wanted to please their guests...... seeking feed back from them regarding their guide. I used to always make sure of what species was the primary target and try and address that using the tidal and wind patterns to dictate how we would plan the days ahead.

Finding a true professional is harder than it seems which is why some of the guides are booked 1-2 years in advance and others, with no repeat business (for good reason) can be booked a week or 2 ahead of time during peak season.
Guys from work had a similar story out of port hardy this summer and the hitch was they went with two boats from the same guiding company. Imagine getting back to the dock and your boat is skunked while your buddy boat has limits of ground and salmon.

Sorry to hear that!!!!!

Back