2023 Winter Harbour Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just doing some wishful thinking here and trying to plan the timing of a summer trip or two - hope you don't mind a quick question on regs.

Am I correct in that one is only ever allowed to keep 2 chinook in 27-2, and that the only size limit that applies is min. 45cm (for 27-2 specially)? Currently planning June as a starter trip. Post July 15th a max size (77cm) for 27-7 would be implemented. Obviously this was last year but I assume it's reasonably safe (knock on wood) to assume it would be the same in 2023. In addition I would be able to box 2 wild or hatch coho (if they are around).

Browsing through notices it appears April 1-Nov we can keep 3 ling >65cm, 2 hali <90 or 1 over and 3 rockfish. On Aug 20 last year the increased to 3 hali <90cm (I assume this is a-typical?).

Are there any significant dates, or undesirable timeframes for prawn/crab?

Thanks for any insight.

1673141703876.png

There are no restrictions on Chinook in 27-2 you can catch your 2 day limit of 4 springs which must be bigger than 45cm. Yes there is a restriction in 27-7 to one spring per day but if your fishing out of winter harbour why would you be fishing the far to the inside. Coho are around in July and August, you can have two hatch outside and or inside is any coho unless they change the rule again. in 2021 I believe it was Hatchery only...

Its been 3 ling for a while now and you are correct on the Halibut, although I am hoping they keep the 3 under rule again for the whole season this year

There are no restrictions on Chinook in 27-2 you can catch your 2 day limit of 4 springs which must be bigger than 45cm. Yes there is a restriction in 27-7 to one spring per day but if your fishing out of winter harbour why would you be fishing the far to the inside. Coho are around in July and August, you can have two hatch outside and or inside is any coho unless they change the rule again. in 2021 I believe it was Hatchery only...

Its been 3 ling for a while now and you are correct on the Halibut, although I am hoping they keep the 3 under rule again for the whole season this year
Thanks! Wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something. Cheers

We have one large cooler, for our days catch. We are hoping to process and vac seal, then freeze. I’ll be with one friend and want to stay on the boat.
Do you guys tie up for the night somewhere ?or anchor out, Trying to figure it out, to sneak out for a few days during a decent weather window. I only been up there in a cabin, not sure if there’s anywhere to tie up to overnight

You can tie up at the gov't dock or the Outpost. There anchorage spots inside Winter Habour & North Harbour. Tying up is nice, cleaning tables & I l sleep better I find. Anchorage is nice as it's cheaper ($0/ft vs $1/ft), the solitude is nice at times, but I'm always a little nervous should something go wrong. It'll probably be a ghost town up there anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back