2022 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All.
This is the year... the year that we are making a Tuna Trip happen. We have upgraded the boat to a 27 foot with twin 200's and all the electronics we could need..... My buddies and I have lurked online for a couple years and watched as bystanders with the 21 foot that we had. This will be the year for us....
So... we are looking for someone that would allow a tag along and help us out with some great advice and what tackle and such to buy. We are familiar with off shore out of Winter Harbour... so that would be preferable, but also Tofino would work as well.
In return.... we would be happy to assist in expenses for you that day....
We are open to times and places.. and I know this is a big ask, but thinking that there is a group or someone out there that would be more than happy to assist. I know I would be happy to assist in this way if I could.
Living in Alberta, we don't get the exposure that one would living on the Island... but we certainly do enough trips out there to add some intel for areas like Sooke and WH.
PLEASE.... no bashing on this thread... hoping for advice and a new fishing partner/buddy boat.

Almost anyone heading out for tuna will be willing to help (buddy boat) as far as gear goes
Dive boards
Splash birds
Dildos
Boats
For attractors in front of zukers
All depends how extreme you want to go
Cedar plugs
Rapalas
Casting jigs if you get on a school at a stop
I can send some pictures of gear that I use everyone is different while being fairly similar I believe
My set up is fairly commercial as I’m running 8-10 hand lines and upto 4 rods lol
I think most guys are running 2-4 hand lines and 4-8 rods

Almost anyone heading out for tuna will be willing to help (buddy boat) as far as gear goes
Dive boards
Splash birds
Dildos
Boats
For attractors in front of zukers
All depends how extreme you want to go
Cedar plugs
Rapalas
Casting jigs if you get on a school at a stop
I can send some pictures of gear that I use everyone is different while being fairly similar I believe
My set up is fairly commercial as I’m running 8-10 hand lines and upto 4 rods lol
I think most guys are running 2-4 hand lines and 4-8 rods
... awesome.. thanks.
I have 4 hali rods that I think are useable with 100 pound braid on them.... hand lines.. I think that's Tuna Cord you call it?
Where is the best place to buy online so we can gear up before the season..?
I feel like running 4 rods and a couple hand lines would be plenty for a Tuna Rookie.

... awesome.. thanks.
I have 4 hali rods that I think are useable with 100 pound braid on them.... hand lines.. I think that's Tuna Cord you call it?
Where is the best place to buy online so we can gear up before the season..?
I feel like running 4 rods and a couple hand lines would be plenty for a Tuna Rookie.
I would call one of the local fishing stores on the island (trotac or somewhere similar)
And tell them what your doing and how many rods and hand lines ask them to put together a package with most commonly used gear as well as spare gear for break offs.they should be a lot more willing to share info and get you in touch with people going if you’ve shopped there

I would call one of the local fishing stores on the island (trotac or somewhere similar)
And tell them what your doing and how many rods and hand lines ask them to put together a package with most commonly used gear as well as spare gear for break offs.they should be a lot more willing to share info and get you in touch with people going if you’ve shopped there
Will do...

All those commercial attractors aren't necessary-put a bird on front of your lure if it's calm enough and leave the rest of that crap on the store shelves where it belongs.

It's too bad there's no live bait here someone on the Vancouver Craigslist has a bunch of California style live bait rods for sale for very little money some of them look to be quality products.

I run 4 handlines and 2-4 rods. 2 dive boards on handlines are a must for when they're not hitting the surface stuff, and I run the other 2 handlines on planer boats (pull your lines to the side like outriggers).

Trotac has lots of good tuna gear and they can get you set up. Be prepared for sticker shock though LoL.

All those commercial attractors aren't necessary-put a bird on front of your lure if it's calm enough and leave the rest of that crap on the store shelves where it belongs.

It's too bad there's no live bait here someone on the Vancouver Craigslist has a bunch of California style live bait rods for sale for very little money some of them look to be quality products.
Any link to those rods? i've searched and haven't found them

Given that you are looking at going out of Tofino or Winter Harbour, check out PNT in Coombs just outside of Parksville. Everything you need there as well as great advice and it is on your way to the fishing grounds. You can also buy bulk ice at the marina in Parksville - you need 3X more than you think you do. 4 rods and 2 handlines with divers is a good spread. Lots of good info on this forum. Both PNT and Trotac have a diagram of a suggested spread which is helpful.
The best way to learn is with/from the other boats around. If the timing works for you, check out one of the derbies. I was a rookie tuna fisherman and did the Bamfield derby last year. Having so many other boats out looking and cooperating made it much easier. Bamfield and Tofino derbies are the 2nd week of September and I believe that there is a Winter Harbour derby too (1st week in September?). One caution though - tuna fishing is more addictive and more expensive than cocaine.
PM me when you are heading out and I will try to join you if available.

Outriggers... multiple single pulleys or a double or triple?
depends on how wide your spread and outriggers are.. i like a W pattern and even though 3 will fit on the outriggers, it is not needed.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough. When running 2 outrigger lines is your preference to run one double pulley or 2 single pulleys?
i have a triple pulley set up, just run double lines through it. i suggest running different colors so it easy to identify the outer to the inner.

Any info on this year's race for the blue? The site still has last year's info. I thought registration was supposed to be next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back