2022 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was into 10 springs this morning at Fairfax. 6 keeper size, 4 smalls, and brought home a pair. Skinny G and the AP herring spoon for the win today along the bottom. Lots of fish around! Take advantage of the good tides the next couple of days in the morning!

Land's End and Moses point have been slow but productive the last couple of weekends. Seems people were either catching fish consistently or not catching anything. We did okay by staying in 80' or less of water along the shore. I guess they were feeding on sandlance. Other boats close to shore seemed to mirror our success. Be warned, there are at least two drowned trap lines out there. We drove our gear right into one and narrowly missed another one when I spotted the float about 10' below the surface. This was just before low tide so they might not resurface.
Yes there is a drowned trap there. I hit it last time and marked it. I warned the only other boat there that day, never thought about posting it. Here are the lat and long and general area. It's in about 100 ft of water.

Attachments

• 20220210_101209.jpg
    20220210_101209.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 20220210_101224.jpg
    20220210_101224.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 142
Yes there is a drowned trap there. I hit it last time and marked it. I warned the only other boat there that day, never thought about posting it. Here are the lat and long and general area. It's in about 100 ft of water.

Thanks, I'm new to fishing down here and am going to head out along there probably on saturday, I'll make sure to add that pin.

Any other tips one cares to share?

The Sidney Anglers are going to bring back a salmon enhancement derby this year. It will be a two day derby, March 26 and 27.
$200 a boat limited to 50 boats. More information to follow. I will start a new thread under the events forum when tickets are available.
So save the weekend.

Speaking of derby’s Is anyone doing the saanich inlet/millbay derby this year? March 12th Just bought 2 tickets! Should be a good time never fished out that way before, any tips fellas?

Hi Guys, anyone seen any number of small shakers (sub 12 inches) in the last month. We are looking for sampling sites as usual sites have dried up (PIT tagging project)

Thanks, I'm new to fishing down here and am going to head out along there probably on saturday, I'll make sure to add that pin.

Any other tips one cares to share?
Hey, unfortunately, I don't have a pin for you but there is another drowned trap further out. Due NE of that pin. We picked up the line on the ball and avoided a tangle. We didn't realize the float was drowned until after we let the line go.

There is a sandy beach here that turns into a sandy hump in about 70' of water. We had a few whacks and picked up a shaker by buzzing the top of the hump. It gets rocky off that point however so exercize caution.
1644874940672.png

Speaking of derby’s Is anyone doing the saanich inlet/millbay derby this year? March 12th Just bought 2 tickets! Should be a good time never fished out that way before, any tips fellas?
yup, i'll be over for the March 12th derby at Mill bay. I don't fish out that way a ton either but lots of boats end up fishing close to the marina at Moses Pt. or Fairfax. I'm sure others on here will have other suggestions but those are a couple of the more popular spots during past derbies. See you out there.

The Sidney Anglers will also be holding a Salmon Enhancement Fund Raiser Event before we probably get shut down April 1 for the next four months.
The Event is a two day Derby March 26-27. First prize is $5,000. It's limited to 50 boats and the first 20 purchased get free moorage at North Saanich Marina who are hosting the event.

Here is a link to buy your boat ticket.

Out this morning off Sidney since it seemed the only decent forecast. Got a Spring first pass of Shag Rock. Two hours of nothing and then about an hour into the ebb fish starting hitting. Released five between 4-7lbs and missed a couple more plus a 10lb Ling within the hour. Couldn't find a big one. All on No Bananas Skinny G. Nothing on bait? 90-120'. Headed in as the wind picked up.

Fished on Sunday at Moresby from noon - 3. The spectacular weather almost made up for the slow fishing. One under to the boat and one long line release on what seemed like a decent fish. Hopefully more fish around for the Sidney Anglers derby on March 26th/27th

No new Sidney reports?? there were over 100 boats out there on Saturday in the derby :)

We had a great time on derby day. Managed 2 keepers including a 4th place finish... (ie first loser!!). Cash prizes for top 3. Oh well, glad to get out there and actually partake in a derby again. Weather was great, especially considering the forecast. We fished inside waters around saltspring (booth, bold bluff, artbutus rock). chovies and skinny g spoons on bottom for us. release half a dozen unders over the course of the day as well.

Attachments

• sidney1.jpg
    sidney1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 224
  • sidney2.jpg
    sidney2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
With a week until the Derby went out for a quick Derby reconnaissance, checking where the bait may be. Found some bait and a nice 11lb fatty hatchery at a secret location.
Only two or three tickets left for the derby. Hidden weight prize is an Islander reel. Not a bad prize for a random size fish.

a big thanks to cpony and his band of dedicated derby organizers for the sidney anglers salmon enhancement derby on the weekend!

we had a lot of fun despite our inability to put a large salmonoid on the deck. we fished coal, moresby, and pender. lots of bait and a few smallish fish was all we managed. 16 hours of dragging bottom with red label herring and spoons. tides were good, weather was decent, and a 2 day derby was exactly what i needed to get my fishing muscles back in shape before guide season.

Thanks Colin. I was like you and failed to find that elusive large fish. I received a text yesterday from a friend that went out and boxed a 22 lbr. in Sidney. Must of swam in overnight.
Here is the final update.

To all Participants and Sponsors,
The Sidney Anglers Association would like to thank you for your generous support of our 2022 Salmon Enhancement Fundraiser after a three year hiatus.
The prime purpose of this event is to raise funds for salmon enhancement projects on lower Vancouver Island and this year you helped us raise $10,000!
1st prize of $5000 went to Kevin Kipot
2nd prize of $1500 went to Andrew Lohr
3rd prize of $500 went to Bruce Miller
The hidden weight prize for an Islander Reel was a tie, which was broken with a coin toss going to Terry Johns.

We look forward to inviting you all back again next year, same time, same place.
SAA Fundraiser Committee

Thanks Colin. I was like you and failed to find that elusive large fish. I received a text yesterday from a friend that went out and boxed a 22 lbr. in Sidney. Must of swam in overnight.
Here is the final update.

To all Participants and Sponsors,
The Sidney Anglers Association would like to thank you for your generous support of our 2022 Salmon Enhancement Fundraiser after a three year hiatus.
The prime purpose of this event is to raise funds for salmon enhancement projects on lower Vancouver Island and this year you helped us raise $10,000!
1st prize of $5000 went to Kevin Kipot
2nd prize of $1500 went to Andrew Lohr
3rd prize of $500 went to Bruce Miller
The hidden weight prize for an Islander Reel was a tie, which was broken with a coin toss going to Terry Johns.

We look forward to inviting you all back again next year, same time, same place.
SAA Fundraiser Committee
You guys do great work! Thanks so much for your efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back