2022 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time out for 2022 and it was good. Fished for 3 hours this morning at Fairfax and caught many borderline legal and kept a 77 and 85cm fish. Big boys for winters!

It was wet, but no wind at least. Typical Skinny g and AP needle spoons on the bottom.
Nice work!! Im heading there Saturday

First time out for 2022 and it was good. Fished for 3 hours this morning at Fairfax and caught many borderline legal and kept a 77 and 85cm fish. Big boys for winters!

It was wet, but no wind at least. Typical Skinny g and AP needle spoons on the bottom.

Nice work! Sorry if this is a dumb question but where is Fairfax roughly? just curious as I hear it a lot. I’ve always been a sooke guy since that’s where I live but the gf lives out that way, always think about bringing the boat over one of these days and giving it a shot. Cheers

Nice work! Sorry if this is a dumb question but where is Fairfax roughly? just curious as I hear it a lot. I’ve always been a sooke guy since that’s where I live but the gf lives out that way, always think about bringing the boat over one of these days and giving it a shot. Cheers
6C94125C-EDD0-44DA-A86E-9E6C12CC3928.png
Pretty easy from Sydney

Out for a couple hours with fellow sidney angler and sfbc member carpeweekend today. There seem to be lots of small fish around, in all the popular spots, and a few keepers mixed in. AP spoons on the bottom still works in case anybody was wondering.

Lots of radio chatter about the tsunami from the uscg and ccg on ch.16 as well. Water was flat calm for us!

Trophy Custom 9' light mooching rod. Light but plenty of strength to subdue a fish if your willing to put a bend in the rod. Wouldn't use it to tow a flasher. The reel is a 12wt Abel fly reel. Combo seems to work pretty good together. First time out for both and got a decent work out.
Does the reel have enough drag to snug the rod down to the rigger clip ?

Does the reel have enough drag to snug the rod down to the rigger clip ?
Yup. Doesn't creep either like my trophy. The only thing with a fly reel is the drag nob is on the back of the reel. Good so far. Probably not the best use of a high end fly reel but I picked it up cheap second hand. BTW. I just put a the mono over the existing old fly line and backing to prevent compression damage.

Out for winters today from about 11 - 3. Tried Arbutus Island by the ferry terminal. Hooked up right away but released as it was under (about 50 -55 cm). A few other boats doing a similar tack but didn't seem to be much action. Pulled up and tried a few laps by Coal. Another under, similar sized released at the boat. As usual, AP spoons and flasher, right on the bottom. Beauty day - dead calm and sunny.

Constant undersize for us yesterday in satellite channel. Couldn’t find a keeper in the mix although saw a couple taken. Visit from Dfo checking gear and licenses as well.

Yes there is a just one set of docks now. It's bugger if any type of South winds come up. You get blown right off them so be prepared.

And there seems to be fish everywhere. Fish have been picked up in, Deep Cove, Sidney Spit, and Sidney Channel in the past two weeks.

Saw nice calm morning so had breakfast and went out to try a West Coast spoon. Went down Cordova a Channel and quickly picked up this nice 9lb chunky one.
Lots of 45-55cm fish still around so packed it in.

Attachments

• 20220209_180841.jpg
    20220209_180841.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 85
Land's End and Moses point have been slow but productive the last couple of weekends. Seems people were either catching fish consistently or not catching anything. We did okay by staying in 80' or less of water along the shore. I guess they were feeding on sandlance. Other boats close to shore seemed to mirror our success. Be warned, there are at least two drowned trap lines out there. We drove our gear right into one and narrowly missed another one when I spotted the float about 10' below the surface. This was just before low tide so they might not resurface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back