Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out saturday and had a similar time. Non-stop small fish. I could barely get one rigger down without the other going off. A couple of just undersized lings as well trolling. Had the clip pop twice but they never made it to the boat. Best fish of the afternoon was a decent wild coho.

Question for the regulars: when I get into so many undersized fish, what should that be telling me? Too deep? Not deep enough? move up in lure size? Trolling speed? Or, is it just the time of year, as some people at the launch seem to think.
Unless a bunch of Coho show up it’s over for this year IMO

I think he was talking about someone who is regularly fishing, ;)especially in this area.

yeah. Brand new to both salt-water fishing and the island so just curious what the more experienced folks would read from that. There were so many people out fishing near Fingers, I have to assume they weren't all there for the little guys? I was changing my depths and areas and getting the same results. Only thing I wasn't changing was my gear.

Was out saturday and had a similar time. Non-stop small fish. I could barely get one rigger down without the other going off. A couple of just undersized lings as well trolling. Had the clip pop twice but they never made it to the boat. Best fish of the afternoon was a decent wild coho.

Question for the regulars: when I get into so many undersized fish, what should that be telling me? Too deep? Not deep enough? move up in lure size? Trolling speed? Or, is it just the time of year, as some people at the launch seem to think.
Sometimes there are just a lot of undersized fish around. The last few years I've started to fish plugs when that happens to keep the gear in the water and not kill a bunch of little ones. Of course that doesn't mean there will be a whole lot of keepers around this time of year either. Maybe some clipped coho; maybe some feeders that are big enough, or maybe just an enjoyable boat ride.

yeah. Brand new to both salt-water fishing and the island so just curious what the more experienced folks would read from that. There were so many people out fishing near Fingers, I have to assume they weren't all there for the little guys? I was changing my depths and areas and getting the same results. Only thing I wasn't changing was my gear.
Has lots to do with the time of year. Here is my observation based on 9 years of fishing in town. We get lots of big fish that come through from about April 15-June 1. A lot of them are allegedly from America or the lower Fraser hatcheries. These fish are usually in deep water way off the fingers, double humps, spoil grounds, entrance island, and neck point. Think 150-200 feet on the rigger sometimes more. 3" green spoons dragged behind glow flashers do a lot of damage at this time of year. Unfortunately, we can't retain fish at that time of year anymore. This was always the best fishing of the year.

From about June 1 to August 10 you get a mixed bag. These fish are usually not as big as the spring or late summer fish but there are usually lots them! During this time sometimes there are fish everywhere, often they only stick around a couple days and move to a new location. Sometimes jigging is good, sometimes trolling is better. If you are not catching fish or you are catching shakers change gear, technique or location, or all of the above.

From August 10 to September 15 is my favorite part of the fishery. Big migratory fish headed for island rivers or the Fraser move into shallow water to feed. Cohos and pinks show up if your into that. Towards the end of August and into September big lings move out of the deep back into shallow water getting ready to spawn with the males that have been nest guarding. August usually has fair winds and nice weather. The best part is that basically every technique works and you can keep 2 super big ones if you find them starting Sept 1. Trolling plugs fast in shallow water, jigging bait balls, dragging cannon balls on the bottom, fishing spoons with no flasher. This usually ends with the first big rain.

From September 15- April 15 there are a million shakers out there. The pros seem to be able to keep finding occasional big ones, but I never do. I guess that's why they are the pros!

Last edited:
Has lots to do with the time of year. Here is my observation based on 9 years of fishing in town. We get lots of big fish that come through from about April 15-June 1. A lot of them are allegedly from America or the lower Fraser hatcheries. These fish are usually in deep water way off the fingers, double humps, spoil grounds, entrance island, and neck point. Think 150-200 feet on the rigger sometimes more. 3" green spoons dragged behind glow flashers do a lot of damage at this time of year. Unfortunately, we can't retain fish at that time of year anymore. This was always the best fishing of the year.

From about June 1 to August 10 you get a mixed bag. These fish are usually not as big as the spring or late summer fish but there are usually lots them! During this time sometimes there are fish everywhere, often they only stick around a couple days and move to a new location. Sometimes jigging is good, sometimes trolling is better. If you are not catching fish or you are catching shakers change gear, technique or location, or all of the above.

From August 10 to September 15 is my favorite part of the fishery. Big migratory fish move into shallow water. Cohos and pinks show up if your into that. Towards the end of August and into September big lings move out of the deep back into shallow water getting ready to spawn with the males that have been nest guarding. August usually has fair winds and nice weather. The best part is that basically every technique works. Trolling plugs fast in shallow water, jigging bait balls, dragging cannon balls on the bottom, fishing spoons with no flasher. This usually ends with the first big rain.

From September 15- April 15 there are a million shakers out there. The pros seem to be able to keep finding occasional big ones, but I never do. I guess that's why they are the pros!
Pretty much sums it up.

From August 10 to September 15 is my favorite part of the fishery. Big migratory fish headed for island rivers or the Fraser move into shallow water to feed. Cohos and pinks show up if your into that. Towards the end of August and into September big lings move out of the deep back into shallow water getting ready to spawn with the males that have been nest guarding. August usually has fair winds and nice weather. The best part is that basically every technique works and you can keep 2 super big ones if you find them starting Sept 1. Trolling plugs fast in shallow water, jigging bait balls, dragging cannon balls on the bottom, fishing spoons with no flasher. This usually ends with the first big rain.

I've heard the same thing about it being basically over when the first big rains show up. Curious though if the lack of rain this year makes any difference? I suspect not, and the recent reports seem to support that. I don't have a boat that is sufficient for the salt water (yet, anyway), so most of my salmon fishing is either on a rental boat, with a guide... or most often in the rivers. And on that front, this exceptionally dry September is not helping matters for the river fishing. Curious if it makes any difference for the saltwater.

Has anyone tried ocean fishing for Chums? I would like to give it a try locally to avoid hauling my boat & Camper up to Campbell River (where it is quite popular). Is this even the proper forum to answer that question? I have some information on how to catch them but not where and when. Thanks for your help; Twogone

I think the chum fishery around Nanaimo has been mostly unproductive over the years. It has been addressed on here before. I have never tried it myself. Something about them not being interested in biting as they are too close to the river. I would be interested in hearing some local success stories.

Was thinking the same thing. Been seeing a few boats out while going to one of my job sites. Also when checking BWD.
This nice weather has my wanting to get out again soon.

Manged to get out for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon. Not much to report. Only caught a few shakers.

Boat came out of the water today so that's a wrap for Nanaimo fishing this season.

I fished Friday from Entrance to The Grande to Thrasher to Porlier with a few undersized and lots of shakers.

Looks like another season is done so I brought my boat home too.

Just reminder for all that posts here our SFAC meeting coming up in next few weeks. I will post it up on forum shortly.

Hi Everyone,

Here is the location, and time of meeting.

Agenda/previous meeting minutes will be sent out the week before with a reminder. Details are as follows:

Date: Thursday Oct 27th 7-9 pm

Location: Nanaimo Fish and Game Protective Association (Building to right in main parking lot)

Address: 1325 Nanaimo Lakes Rd, Nanaimo, BC V9X 1X8

Google map link: https://www.google.com/maps/place/N...795e821199571!8m2!3d49.1278087!4d-123.9804368

Went out today for the first time today since the end of August! Dusted off the prawn traps and took a couple buddies out that hadn't been on the boat in awhile. Ended the day with 310 prawns, a super skinny 63 cm winter that was so red and a hitch hiker red rock that was on the outside of one of the prawn traps. Probably should have had a few more prawns but the baurer traps had about 8 tiny Red rocks in them just demolishing our prawns... Lost another fish that would have been a keeper and had a bunch of shakers. Oh well great day out on the water!

Fished over by flat top islands in about 70 - 110 ft of water and hits on the 3 different hooks we put down. AP needle put the fish in the boat. 111 on the rigger going up a 70' reef.

Went out today for the first time today since the end of August! Dusted off the prawn traps and took a couple buddies out that hadn't been on the boat in awhile. Ended the day with 310 prawns, a super skinny 63 cm winter that was so red and a hitch hiker red rock that was on the outside of one of the prawn traps. Probably should have had a few more prawns but the baurer traps had about 8 tiny Red rocks in them just demolishing our prawns... Lost another fish that would have been a keeper and had a bunch of shakers. Oh well great day out on the water!

Fished over by flat top islands in about 70 - 110 ft of water and hits on the 3 different hooks we put down. AP needle put the fish in the boat. 111 on the rigger going up a 70' reef.
Where is flat top islands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back