2022 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
not a fishing report but its comox specific...

anyone else finding water in their fuel from the comox gas and go? I put in 350$ of fuel today, and made it to just past goose spit before port engine lost rpm and died, then the starboard engine died while idling.. both internal engine filters were flooded with rusty water. dumped those, replaced the two spin on filters in the bilge too, flushed out as much water from the fuel lines as I could by pumping the priming bulbs. was able to get both engines restarted after spending considerable time cranking. hard to say for certain its bad gas but im sure suspicious

going to head down there tomorrow with a clean jerry can to inspect their fuel.

Pacific Playgrounds Marina is full of Coho they are jumping everywhere inside the marina 3 guys fishing them this morning.

Pacific Playgrounds Marina is full of Coho they are jumping everywhere inside the marina 3 guys fishing them this morning.
That school has been there for a few days and seen some gear... I would be very impressed to see someone hook one at this point.

I have no answer for this. My wife asked "why there were so many coho jumping all over the Pacific playground marina" There is no freshwater coming into the marina to my knowledge-Black Creek is impassable until rain and the Oyster is very low. Little is showing at Saratoga beach although I saw a beautiful 10 plus taken and released on a fly this morning. No jumping out front but in the marina looks like Asian carp on the US rivers. You should wear a helmet and chest protector going out of there. LOL

I have no answer for this. My wife asked "why there were so many coho jumping all over the Pacific playground marina" There is no freshwater coming into the marina to my knowledge-Black Creek is impassable until rain and the Oyster is very low. Little is showing at Saratoga beach although I saw a beautiful 10 plus taken and released on a fly this morning. No jumping out front but in the marina looks like Asian carp on the US rivers. You should wear a helmet and chest protector going out of there. LOL
The small stream that drains the golf course flows into the marina. That stream does have spawning coho (I have heard from the guys that golf there) and is heavily seeded with Coho Fry. This year I saw fry as high up as where the trail from the pond on Clarkson cuts through to Miracle Beach School. I have also seen healthy 1 year old smolts leaving that stream (my daughter rescued one that was flapping around on the rocks after being chased by a mink). That stream largely dries, but fry probably survive the summer in the ponds in the golf course. Also I have noticed that the marina is full of first year Coho fry in the summer (they are still there). Coho in general spend their first year in freshwater and leave as one year old smolts... however there are also "Nomads" that leave small streams in the spring, rear in estuaries for the summer, and move back into freshwater for their second winter before properly smolting and leaving in the following spring. I have wondered if most of the smolts from that little creek might be nomads. All this said I doubt that the Coho in there now (or at least most of them) are from that little creek... just too many. There is groundwater that leaches into that basin (you can see it at low tide)... possibly that pulls them in. Time will tell... but I suspect with the rain this week they will be able to tell that they need to leave out the channel and head up the river... We'll see!

The small stream that drains the golf course flows into the marina. That stream does have spawning coho (I have heard from the guys that golf there) and is heavily seeded with Coho Fry. This year I saw fry as high up as where the trail from the pond on Clarkson cuts through to Miracle Beach School. I have also seen healthy 1 year old smolts leaving that stream (my daughter rescued one that was flapping around on the rocks after being chased by a mink). That stream largely dries, but fry probably survive the summer in the ponds in the golf course. Also I have noticed that the marina is full of first year Coho fry in the summer (they are still there). Coho in general spend their first year in freshwater and leave as one year old smolts... however there are also "Nomads" that leave small streams in the spring, rear in estuaries for the summer, and move back into freshwater for their second winter before properly smolting and leaving in the following spring. I have wondered if most of the smolts from that little creek might be nomads. All this said I doubt that the Coho in there now (or at least most of them) are from that little creek... just too many. There is groundwater that leaches into that basin (you can see it at low tide)... possibly that pulls them in. Time will tell... but I suspect with the rain this week they will be able to tell that they need to leave out the channel and head up the river... We'll see!
Thanks for the reply-all that makes sense- the rains this weekend while not enough to fill the local rivers will probably push them along to in front of Black Creek and beyond. All very interesting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back