2022 Comox Valley-Comox Harbour, Kitty Coleman, Cape Lazo, Denman & Hornby Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished for a couple of hours mid day today, east of Hornby Island. Had 3 shakers and one nice Chinook that was lost at the boat. Landing salmon solo can be a bit of a challenge. 200' water depth, fishing close to bottom. Small spoons 5' behind flashers.

Any one else going to be hunting herring this year? Wondering if anyone has seen any activity yet

Any one else going to be hunting herring this year? Wondering if anyone has seen any activity yet
There are lots of seals, sea lions, eagles and seagulls working the waters +/- 200 m offshore between Deep Bay and Nile Creek. I am assuming there are large schools of herring getting ready to spawn.

We jigged up a bunch of herring off Lazo the other day. There were lots there, and it was both fun and easy to do. We turned some of them into fresh crab this morning. Hoping to turn a few more into ling cod and hali's this summer. Just like the alchemists trying to turn lead into gold in days gone by. This one should work tho'.

Last edited:
found a few pacific cod, and MAAAAAAAANY dogfish on Sunday. fed them a bunch of herring that we jigged up from tree island.
anyone caught any herring this week? I heard they've sort of disappeared

Fished east of Hornby for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon. Caught 5 under sized and one keeper. 225' of water, fishing close to bottom with a Coho Killer on one side and a 3-1/2" spoon on the other side. Lures were 5' behind flashers. The keeper had a 5" herring in its stomach. That is a wrap for the fishing licence.

Fished the kitty hump this morning. lots of feeders out there, to bad we had to put them all back. 15 in a couple hours. All on skinny g.

Went out on the 7th. Released over 20 springs. All in the 12-16 Lb range over 3 hours. 5x triple headers. Best fishing I’ve ever had. My arms hurt for two days afterwards

Hoochies and spoons at 195 ft at the kitty hump

Went out on the 7th. Released over 20 springs. All in the 12-16 Lb range over 3 hours. 5x triple headers. Best fishing I’ve ever had. My arms hurt for two days afterwards

Hoochies and spoons at 195 ft at the kitty hump
Did you stumble on any coho? I thought about heading out and targeting coho, but then didn't.

Did you stumble on any coho? I thought about heading out and targeting coho, but then didn't.
No but we were targeting deep… however there were a lot of schools up at 80-100ft or 60ft. Could have been some ho’s?

any general recommendations for ling, prawn and crab around the Hornby area? We will be up there for a week with the boat.. I am willing to travel anywhere.

Likely do day trips to texada and check out jedediah.

Thanks for any tips

The reef on the SE corner of hornby is a popular spot for bottom fish or trolling for salmon.
can be hit or miss sometimes
I’ve never crabbed down there but I’d try any of the bays

The reef on the SE corner of hornby is a popular spot for bottom fish or trolling for salmon.
can be hit or miss sometimes
I’ve never crabbed down there but I’d try any of the bays
The majority of the SE area of Hornsby Island is a RCA so you need to be really east

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back