I’ve been out for a couple hours each of the last few days. Fishing Albert head, esquimalt and Constance. Most action was at Constance with the majority of fish being small keeper size. I saw a fellow at the dock yesterday with a couple better size (7 pounds) from border

Went for a boat ride in Oak Bay. Such a beautiful day. Dropped the Crab traps and went for a jigging tour counter clockwise hitting all the usual spots from Brodie, chain Islands, Gap etc. Only caught a few bottom fish and saw very little bait. The only significant bait was at Gonzales pt. once the ebb got going and there I did have one fish on briefly that was a definite maybe.
Crabbing was good. Both traps had crabs to spare. I wrapped a little piece of sheet lead on each door for weight and believe that made a difference in the tidal current.

Butt Juice is an attractant you put on your lure. that is a brand name, there are many scents you can use. It is more about looking at charts and reading the bottom. Look for pinnacles, there are many around the islands east of Discovery can be quite productive. stay away form RCA,s and the shipping lanes. Also you do not want the current to be too strong, 1.5kn at the most.
No need to go that far for ling cod in or bay

Went for a boat ride in Oak Bay. Such a beautiful day. Dropped the Crab traps and went for a jigging tour counter clockwise hitting all the usual spots from Brodie, chain Islands, Gap etc. Only caught a few bottom fish and saw very little bait. The only significant bait was at Gonzales pt. once the ebb got going and there I did have one fish on briefly that was a definite maybe.
Crabbing was good. Both traps had crabs to spare. I wrapped a little piece of sheet lead on each door for weight and believe that made a difference in the tidal current.
Rock and Ling Cod are closed

I to like ling cod, I said why both catch rock cod. Lots of people can't catch salmon, and any idiot can catch cod. Lots of fisherman will catch cod just so they take something home, it's an ego thing
Not an ego thing at all. If I take the effort to prep my boat, make sure things are all good at home, head out fishing for the day, and if things don't go my way (maybe I forgot to put hooks on my spoons) and I can't scratch up a salmon to save my life, yes I'm going to try to jig up a rockfish just to take something home for my family. I was shown at a young age that our oceans can provide us more than just salmon. It's pretty special that we live in a place where we can catch so many different species on the same day and in the same areas.

Yes I know, I was just commenting on yhr other post, why would anyone bother to catch and keep rock cod
Rock cod are delicious, and I would rather have that to eat than salmon any day. Of course I would rather be catching springs with the same success I have on getting cod

Noticed Harbor seals chasing something in the Gorge (about 400 m below the Admirals road bridge). Wondering if the herring are in the gorge.

Out off waterfront yesterday. 4 to the boat kept 3 . Largest 5 pounds. 2 were hatchery. Do fish seem smaller this year on average?

A few days ago someone on this line mentioned hooking into a Coho. Are they still around? I thought they were long gone. Any one have a comment? Thanks.

Back