2021 Ucluelet Reports

For sure. Just keep the traps out of the main channel where the boats travel. Most guiding outfits will put out traps for you if that is the case.
Thank you, are there any specific spots in the harbour that would be good? I do have a sea kayak and will avoid the lanes.

Thank you, are there any specific spots in the harbour that would be good? I do have a sea kayak and will avoid the lanes.
You cant miss seeing all the traps. Find a spot between them and make sure they are well marked as there will be a lot of them. Definitely try for a different color than orange, red or white if you can.

I have decided on fishing Ukee the first week of August instead of June for chinook, coho and hali's. Does the fishing get better in August as opposed to June?
Thanks!

I have decided on fishing Ukee the first week of August instead of June for chinook, coho and hali's. Does the fishing get better in August as opposed to June?
Thanks!
For one thing the last couple years the offshore size restrictions have lifted beginning of Aug so it makes it nicer.

There are tools on here you can use to judge the quality of fishing in most areas. Use the historic reports in the Saltwater Fishing Reports section and just scan through the reports for certain areas and times and you will get a very good idea as to the quality of fishing in most areas on the coast.

Thanks!
If your new to the area it will be easier to find the salmon in August. The fish will be bigger on average too.

Hi Folks, I'm heading to the Ucluelet region in July to do a fishing charter. I will be in the town for couple extra days and I wouldn't mind trying my luck on some crabbing. Is there any spots in the harbour or bay that I can lay down a trap or two? thanks

Thanks!
Book your accommodation quick. June is always easier to get camper / hotel/ vacation rental reservations. August books early, even this year. Especially tough if your bringing a family and are looking for accom with kitchen etc.

It is a large & diverse fishing area; areas up to 25 mile from Ucluelet are commonly fished. The large run of returning Stamp river Chinook (Robertson Creek) are typically caught close to shore in the open ocean or within Barkley Sound. Peak numbers within 10 miles or so of Ucluelet will be in mid-August; all close to shore (there are always exceptions). Other runs at that time are further offshore; usually 10 miles or more from Ucluelet; SW Corner, the Wreck, Hyson/Amoeba, Big Bank.
In June; most fish are offshore as close as South Bank or Lighthouse Bank 6-8 miles from port. There are always some fish caught in near-shore areas close to Ucluelet at this time; Lighthouse & Little Beach; many locals with smaller boats only fish these areas. Sometimes areas around Cree island or Swale rock produce in June.

The Guides & many on their own boats will target the areas where the largest number of fish are being caught; they want to be in areas where they can hook-up 10 or more fish per day ideally. Halibut are just about always caught offshore only; many while Salmon trolling. IMO they get somewhat fished-out as the season progresses.

Fish are usually close to the bottom at offshore locations in June in 175 - 225 feet of water. Needlefish lures work well. They are more suspended mid-water in August; 20 - 50 ft near shore & 50 - 100 offshore; larger baitfish lures usually work best. When fishing offshore in August I find it useful to run 1 rod on the bottom for Halibut.
You are much less likely to be kept in port due to bad weather in August, but August is called Fogust out there for good reason. Forecasts for winds/seas will just about always get worse after noon. The closer to shore the calmer. Most of the "Surfer-Dude" related forecasts such as those found on under "forecasts" at www.livetosurf.com work well.

For one thing the last couple years the offshore size restrictions have lifted beginning of Aug so it makes it nicer.

There are tools on here you can use to judge the quality of fishing in most areas. Use the historic reports in the Saltwater Fishing Reports section and just scan through the reports for certain areas and times and you will get a very good idea as to the quality of fishing in most areas on the coast.
Thanks walleyes!

It is a large & diverse fishing area; areas up to 25 mile from Ucluelet are commonly fished. The large run of returning Stamp river Chinook (Robertson Creek) are typically caught close to shore in the open ocean or within Barkley Sound. Peak numbers within 10 miles or so of Ucluelet will be in mid-August; all close to shore (there are always exceptions). Other runs at that time are further offshore; usually 10 miles or more from Ucluelet; SW Corner, the Wreck, Hyson/Amoeba, Big Bank.
In June; most fish are offshore as close as South Bank or Lighthouse Bank 6-8 miles from port. There are always some fish caught in near-shore areas close to Ucluelet at this time; Lighthouse & Little Beach; many locals with smaller boats only fish these areas. Sometimes areas around Cree island or Swale rock produce in June.

The Guides & many on their own boats will target the areas where the largest number of fish are being caught; they want to be in areas where they can hook-up 10 or more fish per day ideally. Halibut are just about always caught offshore only; many while Salmon trolling. IMO they get somewhat fished-out as the season progresses.

Fish are usually close to the bottom at offshore locations in June in 175 - 225 feet of water. Needlefish lures work well. They are more suspended mid-water in August; 20 - 50 ft near shore & 50 - 100 offshore; larger baitfish lures usually work best. When fishing offshore in August I find it useful to run 1 rod on the bottom for Halibut.
You are much less likely to be kept in port due to bad weather in August, but August is called Fogust out there for good reason. Forecasts for winds/seas will just about always get worse after noon. The closer to shore the calmer. Most of the "Surfer-Dude" related forecasts such as those found on under "forecasts" at www.livetosurf.com work well.
Your info is very much appreciated ericl.
Thanks,
J

That’s quite a detailed reply-kudos to you

I have reached out to Amy Hancock who ran the Ucluelet Ladder Derbies 10 years back as there is great catch size/date/location data in their data.
I have been fishing the area since 1983.

Also watch the commercial Area G troll openings as this activity REALLY slow the catch down, although the size & length of this fishery is nothing compared to years past (sadly neither are the Chinook numbers).

Here is the link to access DFO's 2021 regulation proposals.

For each fishing area (123/23 for Ucluelet FYI) they list Chinook stock composition for different times of the season. As an example, Columbia River Chinook are the dominant catch. You can easily find run size predictions for these fish as they are by far the most studied/managed/ counted Chinook on the planet. Good Columbia returns equal happy fishers in Ucluelet. The summer run fish are in good supply beginning in May, with Fall returns into late August - you can look at fish ladder count data for the Columbia to see run timing.

Struck-out on Ucleuelet ladder derby data; but here is something from 2011:

Attachments

• ukee2011.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 41
Trip booked July 19-23... going to be fun!
I’d like to get booked in as well but hoping to see some regs for the summer first. My schedule for days off is a little out of whack for the first week of Aug this year. If things don’t open up off shore until Aug 1st again I hate to miss that opportunity. Might have to split it half in half this year. Say 4 days end of July 4 days beginning of Aug.
When can we expect this years regs,, any idea anyone.

I’d like to get booked in as well but hoping to see some regs for the summer first. My schedule for days off is a little out of whack for the first week of Aug this year. If things don’t open up off shore until Aug 1st again I hate to miss that opportunity. Might have to split it half in half this year. Say 4 days end of July 4 days beginning of Aug.
didn't offshore open up July 15th last year?

didn't offshore open up July 15th last year?
Yes but with the 80cm max size. Would suck having to throw back 20 pound fish. It’s not the end of the world but man, we travel a long ways it costs us a pretty penny we have to try and maximize our opportunities as best we can. If I go early we would probly concentrate more on bottom fish the first few days then switch over heavy to the salmon. But a guy can always stick to shore to and hope for the best. Last couple years the inshore fishing has been decent that time of year.

We’re a little closer than you are and also have family joining from Ontario, so it was the only week that worked. Also my first time on my own boat, so will be a learning/exploring trip.

We’re a little closer than you are and also have family joining from Ontario, so it was the only week that worked. Also my first time on my own boat, so will be a learning/exploring trip.
You’ll do fine, it’s not that the fish aren’t there, I’m sure they will be. But that could be the problem lol. Having to let half your catch go in a day at the side of the boat cause they are 5 cm too long would suck. If it has to be it has to be better than not going at all thats for sure.

Back