2013 Tuna adventures

I'm in! catching 1040 ferry
If I can figure out how to monitor more than one ch ( new radio ) I'll listen to 1, 6, 68, 78, 79? ) If not - ch 1
Probably aim for Barkley canyon tomo am and see what happens where..

Amen to that. ;)

I push the salmon aside in the freezer now looking for tuna. :)

X2. Trolling at 7 mph and having a 20 plus pound fish hitting your lure doing 30 mph is pretty wild. Seeing one flying through the air and smashing one of those lures is even more exciting. Eating wise, salmon is good but tuna is like candy :p:D.

Just heard of another great report from the Louden area. It's on like Donkey Kong!!! Having no boat is killing me right now.

X2. Trolling at 7 mph and having a 20 plus pound fish hitting your lure doing 30 mph is pretty wild. Seeing one flying through the air and smashing one of those lures is even more exciting. Eating wise, salmon is good but tuna is like candy :p:D.

One of the guys on my boat and i were watching a clone on one of our close in corner rods discussing whether we should move it back a little bit when an albie crushed it.......i saw a blue streak swim at it from the side full speed and smoke it on the surface with it's mouth wide open. It was epic!! :)

For me its watching the birdies that were working out back of the boat disappearing at 90 mph...kinda remind me of Fishing Lytton on the Thompson river using a jumbo Freddie float....now you see it now you don't...hang on....epic..... :)

Better Late than Never? -Trip Report

Here is our trip report from nearly a week ago.

Left the dock with 3 new guys on board who were skeptical that the trip could be nearly as exciting and as adventurous as I had described it.
Osama and I had also sold it pretty hard to Smiley who joined us in a great looking Pursuit.

The morning started at the mouth of Bamfield Harbour with 5 boats rafted up where Tuna Don gave us our marching orders. After doing some homework, Don had prepared coordinates for all 5 boats that would place us about 5 miles apart at the edge of the canyons. Great Job Don, Thanks!
2013_08_31 - BCFishing146 - Version 2.jpg

Other than a beautiful sunrise2013_08_31 - BCFishing159 - Version 2.jpg
2013_08_31 - BCFishing164 - Version 2.jpg

And a pod of Dolphins to entertain us, the trip was reasonably uneventful.

2013_08_31 - BCFishing175.jpg

We dropped the lines in a few miles short of our target as the temperature had climbed to about 63deg.

We ran 8 lines with a mix of Tuna Clones and Zukers and one Jet Head. Also ran one hand line with an X-rap but found it was always in the way and it spent most of the day piled on the deck tangled beyond recognition. Will have to figure out a better system.

We had the lines in for about 10 minutes when the first rod went OFF! This fish peeled line like no tuna I had ever seen. We eventually had to stop the boat and pull all the gear so we could chase this thing down. I was thinking Blue Fin because we could not budge it in the water and neither was it making frantic runs like a fish that felt threatened. Turns out it was an unlucky Sunfish, snag hooked in the fin. It seemed unconcerned even when we pulled it to the boat to unhook it. It paddled slowly away none the worse for his encounter.

2013_08_31 - BCFishing181.jpg

We heard on the Radio that Don had one on board but since we had a few bites that had not hooked up, we kept trolling.
First fish came on board a few minutes later and the rest of the day was pretty solid fishing.

2013_08_31 - BCFishing197 - Version 2.jpg
2013_08_31 - BCFishing199 - Version 2.jpg
2013_08_31 - BCFishing200 - Version 2.jpg

After the third tuna, we provided coordinates for the other boats and within the hour, all 5 boats were in view and catching fish.
We had a couple triples and one quadruple header through the day.
2013_08_31 - BCFishing216 - Version 2.jpg

The water temperature climbed to about 67deg as we ventured out over the edge of Nitinat Canyon. Our best success on the day was with a mexican flag tuna feather with a green bird splashing about 6 feet in front of it. This lure hooked about 40% of our fish.
The Green and Purple Zukers all hooked fish and the blue jet head was eventually pulled from the spread with no hits on it.

We lost 6 to 8 fish after they were hooked and mostly these were on the lures with single hooks. I will be converting all my lures to the double tuna hooks before the derby.

All in all, a beautiful day on the water with outstanding fishing.

Nothing like a quick swim 45miles off shore to cool and refresh before the boat ride home.
2013_08_31 - BCFishing226 - Version 2.jpg

Returned home with 16 tuna, 3 new tuna fanatics on my boat, 3 others on smiley's boat and it sounds like Why Knot recruited a few as well.
2013_08_31 - BCFishing244 - Version 2.jpg

Can't wait for the Derby!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to bail on my tuna trip today :(

The seas were a little too sporty.....hope it's better tomorrow. Want to get back out there!

The seas were a little too sporty.....hope it's better tomorrow. Want to get back out there!

Bumber. I thought it would have been doable but it does seem breezy here at the beach.....Tomorrow. Hopefully this SE is grooming the NW bunk for Saturday to be nice and clean.

Sorry to interrupt guys but does anyone know where there is a writeup on gear to use, general info etc on this site. I remember some great posts in the Tuna threads but cant seem to find them. I was going to add a link to these posts so newbies could thread through them and learn a bit.

Sorry to interrupt guys but does anyone know where there is a writeup on gear to use, general info etc on this site. I remember some great posts in the Tuna threads but cant seem to find them. I was going to add a link to these posts so newbies could thread through them and learn a bit.

I'd say that info is scattered all over the place here. Good idea to start a thread. Call it tuna basics or something.

Bumber. I thought it would have been doable but it does seem breezy here at the beach.....Tomorrow. Hopefully this SE is grooming the NW bunk for Saturday to be nice and clean.

2.4 M @ 8 seconds w a se 15

no gracious!

Mike is heading up your way this afternoon.....I have to bail fishing with him tomorrow...have a good one.. :)

Back