2013 Tuna adventures

Holy Crap!!! Way to go buddy:D. Now Derby knows why he sells all that tuna tackle lol:p. Congrats to those that popped their cherry big time. I love it. Great post Shawn:cool:.

Welcome to the dark side fella's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sculpin the hat is a goofy gift from the kid's grandfather. It shows a bass (on the bill, rising from the water) on the hook of a guy painted (on the front of the cap). I thought he would put it away but I am happy that he isn't too proud to wear it lol.
TC, great to hear you got out too!

btw I have now skinned tuna and salmon and find their skins to be about the same for toughness

Smiley.

Sculpin the hat is a goofy gift from the kid's grandfather. It shows a bass (on the bill, rising from the water) on the hook of a guy painted (on the front of the cap). I thought he would put it away but I am happy that he isn't too proud to wear it lol.

btw I have now skinned tuna and salmon and find their skins to be about the same for toughness

Smiley.

Cool that he got it from Grandpa and will still wear it. That goes a long way these days. You have a good son there for sure.

Tuna skin the same as salmon.............I don't know about that one. I find it tougher than rockfish lol!

Good to hear the fishing was good. Right on!!
How about some details? Fill us in.

Just a question about the Tuna Shoot Out pre seminar, can a newbi picking up on some tips attend the meeting even though not entered in completion. Thanks

Yeah, it was rocking out there today. Popped Derby's tuna cherry.

Had to shut 'er down after we filled 4 igloo coolers with tuna. Final count 32, done before 1 pm.

Hahahaha.....awesome!! Saw Derby on Thursday and was raving about our day last year!!

Smiley.

Your buds just called me and filled me in on your trip and it sounds like a couple of good and long days you guys had, welcome to the funnest fishery I have taken part in.

Sculpin
Smileys bud wants to sit down with us one night and shoot the sh$t over some beers and discuss a few things on this fishery, you up for a couple beers one night. I don't want to twist your arm or anything. LOL

5 guys went out of ukee on wednesday, was out from loudon canyon in about 4700 feet, we got about 50 tunas,.... man what a day, first time out for 4 of us, what a blast, first thing we had on in the morning was a dolphin on a rappala x-rap, we weren't expecting that and it spooled me, the reel sure did heat up a bit.....
Thank you birdsnest for some of those tips, greatly appreciate the information...... some of those tuna were about 30 lbs, real nice ones....... will try to upload some pics & vids soon.....

5 guys went out of ukee on wednesday, was out from loudon canyon in about 4700 feet, we got about 50 tunas,.... man what a day, first time out for 4 of us, what a blast,
Thank you birdsnest for some of those tips, greatly appreciate the information...... some of those tuna were about 30 lbs, real nice ones....... will try to upload some pics & vids soon.....
Wow sounds like loudoun was going off!!!! 5 newbees go out and get 50!!!! Awesome. I mean 4 newbees.

Last edited by a moderator:
God im drooling all over my keyboard... you lucky bastards with your big boats... lol. One day ill join you all! loving the pictures in this thread

God im drooling all over my keyboard... you lucky bastards with your big boats... lol. One day ill join you all! loving the pictures in this thread

dito x2
will have to open a new thread soon, this one growing too fast ..........keep up the post & pics boys

Yeah, it was rocking out there today. Popped Derby's tuna cherry.

Had to shut 'er down after we filled 4 igloo coolers with tuna. Final count 32, done before 1 pm.

Thanks for the day and showing me the ropes...man this is a pretty pretty cool fishery..... already looking at my Grady in a different light today....where I can place 8 rods.... it will be next year before it will be rigged...New power is in order this year with a newer yam 300 on the way... :) Tuna shoot out is going to be a blasted on MikeP boat...its a beauty looking forward to being a deck hand on that tub... :) thanks again Shaun... cheers

Good to hear the fishing was good. Right on!!
How about some details? Fill us in.

Same area as you have been fishing, Jay. Zucchini and mex flag clones did the trick but the plugs got our biggest ones

Back