2013 Tuna adventures

All in all I would say that was an excellent trip! Great report. Have you got any pictures to share?

Not yet - they're all on my wife's phone. I was a bit busy running the boat and reeling in fish and never took the time to take any pictures. I'll post up photos later tonight or maybe tomorrow when I get them off her phone.

That's a great trip seadna. Why not stop for kings and coho. You're driving right over them on the way back in. Nicely done

Did you get a chance to use the juggy ???

MikeP, that's tuna fishing at it's best. Beats the heck out of any Westport report with 50+ tuna and 5 drunk guys onboard. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great trip seadna. Why not stop for kings and coho. You're driving right over them on the way back in. Nicely done

Did you get a chance to use the juggy ???

MikeP, that's tuna fishing at it's best. Beats the heck out of any Westport report with 50+ tuna and 5 drunk guys onboard. lol

I did stop to fish for salmon on the way back in as I wrote above :). We were running out of time but we managed to put two 20lb kings and a couple of nice coho in the boat in about an hour or so. My juggies didn't arrive until after I left (they were in the mailbox when I got home). I'll give them a good test this weekend.

Holy wow...some excellent stuff guy's...i am super stoked and looking forward to meeting up with you guy's at the shootout...It is going to be epic for sure!!

Some awesome pictures there John and wicked video...i can barely think of anything for the next two weeks!!!

Guy

summary of Saturday's tuna fishing from bamfield. Thanks to Tuna-Don for the successful organization of the tuna trip with a convoy of 4 boats. We met at 5:30am in front of the bay - by the lighthouse - and headed out from there, based on the organization and strategic placement of the boats that Don layed out for us. At 11 we got our first radio transmission from Tuna-Don and DAK saying they had their first fish on. We then decided to meet up with them and cash in on the big school of Tuna. By the time we got to Tuna-Don, all 4 boats were already there and fishing. Within 10 minutes, we had a fish on, and was it ever awesome. It was a double header, and from there on out, the fish just kept coming. We ended up putting 19 in the boat and we also lost 5. I had a new crew, and they were all green horns when it came to Tuna fishing. They were great on board and were just like seasoned vets. All 4 boats came back with fish on board and nobody got skunked or even upset with lack of fish. The trip was a great success and the results were due to a team organization of our boats, working together to find and keep the school around us. Here is a picture of the Why-Knot crew and a video compilation :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXVCtNiIv80

DSC01416.jpg

Okay, if you EVER have the chance to go for albies, do yourself a favour and GO!

My best fishing partner and I got the invite last week from a good bud who is an awesome fisher and has a beautiful boat. He said the weather was looking perfect.

Our experience was over the top in so many ways.
We joined 4 other boats in Bamfield on Friday evening to talk strategy and get rigging tips. A big shout out to Osama and DAK who could not have been more helpful or patient.
I was a little concerned when Jeff claimed that this fishery would spoil me on all the others - a bit of an oversell? Wow, he was not exaggerating!!! It was like playing feisty tyees for 5 hours!

The 5 boats rendezvoused at the harbour mouth at approx 5:30am Saturday. We all agreed to follow Tuna Don's plan and headed out to co-ordinates that were 5 miles apart.
The ride out was easy that day. Our spot had piles of birds and PWSDs so we were stoked. After about an hour and no strikes we heard some chatter of a few tuna being hit south of us so we decided to head to that spot; 14Nm away. Soon all 5 boats were plying an area in Nitinat Canyon. After about 15 minutes of nothing my Penn 300 screamed, no hali has ever peeled line off it like that!!! The albie fought so hard that the adrenaline didn't last long enough and I had to man up to finish the battle. The captain hauled it over the gunwale and the thing weighed 25 lbs! The solo hit was perfect practice since the next session a few minutes later was a triple header! It takes team work on a boat for this fishery! We only ran 4 rods and only had one cluster; I would hate to run more rods than that since it is a fire drill non-stop. We ended up with 16 averaging 25lbs; there were two at 15lbs and several touching 30lbs.
Here are two shots of my 14 year old son, I can only hope that he has a sense of how awesome that trip was. He has well over 2000 hours of fishing under his belt and can run and rig gear with the best of them. He weighs just under 130lbs, is a strong little bugger, so note the arch back he has to put in to fight the tuna!

The three of us cleaned tuna until midnight, yikes. All three of us also have sore lower bellies from the rod butts!

It is like fishing coho, they hit almost anything, you don't need a lot of gear - huge hoochies with flat heads to make a splash on about 6' 200lb leader is great. 6.5kts worked for us.
We used 6 foot hali rods. My Penn 330 was barely adequate, my Penn 320 was not strong enough. These fish will kick your butt!

I fish a lot and can say that the camaraderie between boats was one of my biggest highlights, it is not at all like the gong shows inshore!

The group made me proud to be an SFBC member, thank you all so much!

Congratulations Smiley!!! :). Outstanding report. Welcome to the dark side :p. Sounds like you went about your first trip the right way. Kudos to those that helped you out
cool.png
. I have to ask what that object is on your son's hat? If your not happy with your Penn's performance I highly recommend the Avet single speeds or the new Accurate Boss Fury single speed lever drag reels with no level wind. Both are amazing while playing these fish. They won't break the bank either.

I can't believe how this thread is ramping up and we still have a lot of season left!

Smiley

Good to see you and your buddy and son hooked up with DAK after all and I am glad they got you into those albies, welcome to the pain and long days that come with crossing over from salmon to extremely fun offshore fishing. Congrats on gettin it done!

My best fishing partner and I got the invite last week from a good bud who is an awesome fisher and has a beautiful boat. He said the weather was looking perfect.

No problem Andrew, glad you loved it. Hey can you get your buddy to contact me, I have crew for his boat.

Jeff

Whats the pink flagging tape for?
I knew someone would ask that. I guess I should have put the answer in the post to begin with. We tag the tuna as they go into the slurry so we know which ones have been in the longest. That way when the slurry is full, we can pull the coldest fish first. I recently bought a 165qt Igloo high top cooler with the hatch in the lid and that's what we used as the slurry container this last trip. With a good bit of ice and sea water, we could fit 8 tuna in it before we had to take the early ones out. That allowed the early fish around 2-3 hours in the slurry before getting placed on flake ice. The later fish just stayed in the slurry until we got back to the dock (and until the next AM). This next trip, I'm going to add some rock salt to get the slurry a bit colder.

question on the salt ice and stepping up the slurry salting....

does this not start to cure the meat? if left in the slurry too long? i have seen this happen to salmon.

question on the salt ice and stepping up the slurry salting....

does this not start to cure the meat? if left in the slurry too long? i have seen this happen to salmon.
The hide of the tuna is a bit more robust than that of salmon and I think as long as you don't go too overboard on the rock salt, you're OK.

I knew someone would ask that. I guess I should have put the answer in the post to begin with. We tag the tuna as they go into the slurry so we know which ones have been in the longest. That way when the slurry is full, we can pull the coldest fish first. I recently bought a 165qt Igloo high top cooler with the hatch in the lid and that's what we used as the slurry container this last trip. With a good bit of ice and sea water, we could fit 8 tuna in it before we had to take the early ones out. That allowed the early fish around 2-3 hours in the slurry before getting placed on flake ice. The later fish just stayed in the slurry until we got back to the dock (and until the next AM). This next trip, I'm going to add some rock salt to get the slurry a bit colder.

Thats brilliant and organized. Cooling fish in slush is the way to go. You can pack more fish in it easily and avoid warm spots. I have plugs in the bottom of my box so I can drain some water off the bottom to thicken the slush when required. Then when the slush box gets full(it holds about 12 tuna)( this usually takes 3 - 4 hours) I pack them tight as posable together in ice in coolers or game bags. I think I may start adding some salt to the slush. Im sure it doesn't take much.

Another fishable day out there today that I missed. Cant wait to hear the reports which should be arriving any moment.

Yeah, it was rocking out there today. Popped Derby's tuna cherry.

Had to shut 'er down after we filled 4 igloo coolers with tuna. Final count 32, done before 1 pm.

Attachments

• Sept4 tuna.jpg
    Sept4 tuna.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 321
Back