2013 Tuna adventures

Cool! That's how the AllRivers boat fishes them in Westport, on the one charter I was on. Troll til you get a hit, then live bait. Might even be the same kinda boat.

Is that how you guys do it up here too?

No, we don't have access to live anchovies and nobody sells live bait on the WCVI that i know of. We are a troll only show although i have been playing with "sliding" .....doing a turn when you get a multiple hookup and throwing small jigs on the inside of the turn. Some Washington guys are using rubber bodied swim baits instead of metal jigs with great sucess.

You do not have to catch allot of fish on a tuna trip to have the best trip ever. Waking up this morning I can tell that I will not be coming down for a couple of days yet.

I drool at the SST and Chloro shots! I hope someone is chasin tuna this weekend?
Please post reports for the poor folks stuck in the 'Big Smoke'

Well we are still away and phone posting so ill make this one short. Took a chance on a break in the weather and it turned into the perfect day. We worked a long time but got a good number of Tuna, 15. But the wildlife show was incredible, schools of white sided dolphin and fin whales on the way home.

More later.
7urudape.jpg

zyhasare.jpg

Many thanks to birdsnest for sharing this with us.

No, we don't have access to live anchovies and nobody sells live bait on the WCVI that i know of. We are a troll only show although i have been playing with "sliding" .....doing a turn when you get a multiple hookup and throwing small jigs on the inside of the turn. Some Washington guys are using rubber bodied swim baits instead of metal jigs with great sucess.

That's too bad....fun way to fish them. They said it only works when they are live ... as soon as they are dead, tuna won't take them, but sharks will.

The charter cap'n was a big fly fisherman and he said later in the season, when the tuna are in thick, they can catch them on the fly.....that would be insane!

Best day off shore ever!!! Thank you Birdsnest big time. Wicked adventure. God I love it out there. Todd and I had a blast and thanks for putting up with us two boat ho's lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Very cool. Unfortunatley the weather didn't cooperate for me when I was in Tofino last Wednesday. Oh well try again next yr...

Best day off shore ever!!! Thank you Birdsnest big time. Wicked adventure. God I love it out there. Todd and I had a blast and thanks for putting up with us two boat ho's lol.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 2

Nice boys. See you soon!!! Chartering is killing me right now!!!!

Story to make it look easy. Had a friend coming up from Victoria with his brand new 58 ft Rivera. He asked what he needed for equipment. Told him Hali rods and clones to get started and sent him co-ordinates where our 5 boats were going. He went store in Vic and bought 2 new shimano 2 speed, (got them for 425.00) and some clones. Came up from outside Barclay about 70 mile off beale and decided to deploy his 2 clones. Got 3 tuna in 20 min had a garbage pail to bleed them then threw em in his freezer. He wont even let me past back deck without taking shoes off. I think he decided a little messy and cruised into bamfield. Brian let him tie up and had load of diesel up in Am. I have drove around for miles to find dam things. We had 5 boats spread out 30 mile that day.

Correction. All those whales were humpback. Guess I was thrown off my their behaviour. It still was awesome!

Well what can I say; second tuna trip under our belt and we are addicted! Fished Saturday out of Sculpins place and need to learn that sleep is necessary for this fishery as it was a long day on the water, something my crew and Sculpin didnt have, 8 fish to the boat and they were better size than the last trip and kicked our azzes bad, worked hard to get them and covered a lot of miles. Started at Father Charles and trolled up to Clayquot where the Tuff fleet was working, thanks to Birdsnest for the co- ordinates but our luck wasn't there and we turned around and headed back to our starting point. As soon as we hit the spot where we picked up our first fish we got back into them. Awesome day on the water, unreal sun rise, crazy whale show with full breaches, a couple massive sharks sunning them selves, all this completes an unbelievable day on the water. Crew and I are stoaked for the shootout and meeting everyone. Again thanks to Sculpin, Firelight and Birdsnest for another unbelievable day. Now to deal with the blood bath on the boat, stern to helm. Crapola.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Some big tuna this year. I know of 2 this year that were over 40 lbs out of tofino!!!!

wow what can you say except it looks like a wild time. A guy sure has to appreciate the place we live in with the opportunities that are here for us. Thanks for the post especially like the underwater shot of the whale.

Back