16 Double Eagle 80’s stringer designs

Itchyknee

Hello Double Eagle Community!

Has anyone come across a stringer/keel and floor layout like the one I have on this 16’ DE 1980?

I’ve seen a few posts around with DE stringer restorations and they tend to have the two off-centre stringers intersected by bulkheads.

My thought is that the off centre/bulkhead design is to accommodate a locker and tank and add more floor and bilge/ floatation space?

Figure the stringer design my boat currently has acts as an “I” beam with the floor, and is a pretty solid design?

I’m at the point of laying up new stringers and am a bit stuck on wether I should change the design…. Any insight would be great- Thankyou

16’DE 1980 75hp Yamaha- 420lbs
1 1/2” Coosa transom

~All Eagle~

EF2CC5AA-4495-4DE8-8B86-3E00C63BC5BE.jpeg

Attachments

• 2040C90F-1510-4F0F-9628-F09967BCA40D.jpeg
    2040C90F-1510-4F0F-9628-F09967BCA40D.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 53
  • D7FCD2A5-1D36-4F57-BFAE-B5A7C435060F.jpeg
    D7FCD2A5-1D36-4F57-BFAE-B5A7C435060F.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 52
Hello Double Eagle Community!

Has anyone come across a stringer/keel and floor layout like the one I have on this 16’ DE 1980?

I’ve seen a few posts around with DE stringer restorations and they tend to have the two off-centre stringers intersected by bulkheads.

My thought is that the off centre/bulkhead design is to accommodate a locker and tank and add more floor and bilge/ floatation space?

Figure the stringer design my boat currently has acts as an “I” beam with the floor, and is a pretty solid design?

I’m at the point of laying up new stringers and am a bit stuck on wether I should change the design…. Any insight would be great- Thankyou

16’DE 1980 75hp Yamaha- 420lbs
1 1/2” Coosa transom

~All Eagle~

View attachment 81554
My 20’6” Double Eagle had this as well It is something you want to keep.

Any pictures of the transom deadrise? Looks to me like one of the older shallow v and fairly flat bottom models. I’ve never seen stringers configurations like that.

Any pictures of the transom deadrise? Looks to me like one of the older shallow v and fairly flat bottom models. I’ve never seen stringers configurations like that.
Here’s a pic of the transom and one from the bow to get a look at the deadrise.
I think you’re right about the an older era design- it’s a 1980 16ft DE

Attachments

• 23F51F11-40AF-4D71-BD96-4FBCC80E31F0.jpeg
    23F51F11-40AF-4D71-BD96-4FBCC80E31F0.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 0CDCA726-202F-4E59-B2EC-A9D89299A104.jpeg
    0CDCA726-202F-4E59-B2EC-A9D89299A104.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 49
Here’s a pic of the transom and one from the bow to get a look at the deadrise.
I think you’re right about the an older era design- it’s a 1980 16ft DE
Ya that’s one of them flat bottom DE, that’s why they stringers are that way. There’s no room to put real stringers in er and still have some gunwale height.

What years would DE have made a shallow V?
I’m guessing that they changed the design mid 80’s from what I’ve read.
Ya that’s one of them flat bottom DE, that’s why they stringers are that way. There’s no room to put real stringers in er and still have some gunwale height.
Thanks! I figured as much that the design wasn’t worth messing with.

I haven’t had the chance to get it on the water since it was in rotted/rough to begin with.

Any guess on how she will handle the pacific NW coast?

What years would DE have made a shallow V?
I’m guessing that they changed the design mid 80’s from what I’ve read.

Thanks! I figured as much that the design wasn’t worth messing with.

I haven’t had the chance to get it on the water since it was in rotted/rough to begin with.

Any guess on how she will handle the pacific NW coast?
Not sure the age of the flat bottomed ones, I’d guess early to mid 70’s though. It will plane easy and plow ok through the chop at low speeds. She gonna ride rough at normal deep v speeds. Stable as a rock I’d imaging though. Personally if it’s not 20 degrees at the stern my back hurts looking at it lol

Not sure the age of the flat bottomed ones, I’d guess early to mid 70’s though. It will plane easy and plow ok through the chop at low speeds. She gonna ride rough at normal deep v speeds. Stable as a rock I’d imaging though. Personally if it’s not 20 degrees at the stern my back hurts looking at it lol
You’re a good person double header - Thanks for the info and insight ( and humour). I’ve layered in some 1708 with epoxy inside the hull, and will follow suit with the original design.
Hopefully she’ll be a little stronger than originally built. And with a little closed cell foam in the bilge a little easier on the back

Back