Double Eagle question

island_dude

Hi All,

I'm seriously considering picking up a 1980 16' double eagle. Its got a 60hp late 80s merc on it (good compression, checked out by a mechanic). The hull is in decent condition - a few scratches and dings but nothing major. The floor has been replaced with new stringers. The transom looks good. Its got a newish very clean 6.5 kicker, a good double-axle trailer, a new soft top, a couple of scotty downriggers, depth sounder, vhf, bilge pump, etc.

The previous owner is a good guy and very trustworthy so I feel like there won't be any "surprises". The price will be approx $3500 which I think is a pretty good deal.

I have two questions -

1) what do you think of the price?
2) the boat has had its built-in gas tank removed. in its place is a large under floor bait-box, storage area. There are now portable tanks for the motors - I'm wondering what the removal of the tank has done to the boats centre of gravity? Is this something that I could compensate for by placing a lead weight in in the storage box where the tank used to be?

Thanks for you advice - much appreciated.

When it comes to a boat.... 3500 is play dough.

If the thing runs and lasts you a few years. If it suits your needs.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

It is a buyers market right now.

When it comes to a boat.... 3500 is play dough.

If the thing runs and lasts you a few years. If it suits your needs.

Sounds like a good deal to me.

It is a buyers market right now.

I agree. And like High Five, I have a DE 16 as well. Excellent boat.

X3. Exact same boat with new floor and stringers good shape top and solid trailer. Mine came with a 78 115
Johnson with good commpression as well,but no kicker. I was told by the guy I bought it off that he had some
overheating issues,so I ended up with the boat for $2000. I replaced the thermostat, flushed the motor really well with
a product called Salt Away. That was 2 years ago and I've never had a problem with overheating since. If the work he
said has been done,then that is a good deal for that boat. I have the reciept for the new floor and stringers,and that
alone was $1600. You won't find a better west coast hull than the Double Eagles,so I really don't think you can go
wrong,even if you end up having to repower a year or two later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought my 1989 16.5ft Double Eagle with "90 Evenrude and 9.9kicker (2strokes) for 5,500...
Great Great Great boats, love the Double Eagles.... I just paid $4.200 for a 9.9kicker motor... so dont stress about it... Enjoy it and if you have to re-power sooner than later, get a little used 50-4stroke no kicker and your good for another 10yrs...

Island dude I took the belly tank out of my old 17.5 Double Eagle, didn't notice any difference to the way it rode.
Just trimmed the motor to suit.
More than likely you will be able to use that boat for a number of years and sell it for close to the original price.
(Its going to cost something to run over the years though)
Buddy has a 16.5 they are a GREAT, GREAT boat.
Dan.

Back