Zinc on my pod?

DuroBoat

Brand new pod but there is no tab for the zinc. Usually I don’t leave the boat in the slip but I would like to be able to go on some longer trips without worrying about galvanic reaction. Any suggestions how to attach one with the least damage to the pod? I’m thing drilling through the back of the pod and bolt a flat zinc on the back with a plastic washer to keep it off the powder coat exterior of the pod.920E991F-AE00-48A2-8661-20AC49029DB8.jpegimage.jpgimage.jpg

That's unfortunate that they didn't put a tab on when they built it. Your idea will work but ideally you would like a bit more surface contact with the zinc and not just rely on the bolts for conducting. By using the washer you are making it an even weaker bond. If it's not in the salt for long and not around a hot dock then you might be ok long term.

Hmm that is a problem. I agree your plan wouldn’t provide enough contact area. The zinc needs good contact to metal. I also would worry about water leaking into the pod with through holes. Seems like a major miss on the builders part. I would probably carefully remove the paint in one spot weld on a tab and paint it again.

My pod has a zinc mount but I wish I had not decided to paint the pod I should have left it raw aluminum. My pod is now 3 years old and I am starting to see paint bubble up.

Other option is sand blast the thing and go raw!

Weld on a bracket for a zinc, tap and thru bolt the zinc so it is conductively connected to the bracket, and to the pod.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate that the builder didn't weld a mount tab on the pod first, I would suggest biting the bullet and having one welded on now. It's below water line so clean it as best as possible and paint it with appropriate paint. If its not done soon you wont have to worry about the powder coating because it will start peeling from the corrosion anyway

Don't bother doing anything unless you are mooring it.

Put them on trim tabs. You have a powdercoated pod and also a plastic wedge between the motor and pod.

It sucks that wasn't done but it would be hassle to put them on this point.

For trailering you will be fine.

Good feedback guys - I’m still undecided if I want to mess with the pod but really good suggestion to put one on each trim tab. I’ll probably moor it for a few weeks at a time so it’s a fair bit of time in the water.. if I was just doing day trips, I wouldn’t be concerned at all. I’m hesitant to grind away the perfect powder coat and risk it peeling away around any grinding or holes I make to attach a zinc..

Good feedback guys - I’m still undecided if I want to mess with the pod but really good suggestion to put one on each trim tab. I’ll probably moor it for a few weeks at a time so it’s a fair bit of time in the water.. if I was just doing day trips, I wouldn’t be concerned at all. I’m hesitant to grind away the perfect powder coat and risk it peeling away around any grinding or holes I make to attach a zinc..
What kind of tabs do you have?

Drill and tap through the pod. Run the bolt or bolts out from the inside using the bolt as a stud. Make sure it’s long enough to accommodate a fender washer on the inside, fender washer and nut on the outside and then your anode with a washer and nut to attach it. The anodes need to make contact with bare aluminum that’s why your taping it use 316 hardware below the waterline and seal the washers/bolts inside and out with sika 3m etc.. The anodes on your trim tabs have zero effect on your pod since they are not bonded together if you leave the boat in the water for longer than 2 weeks at a time you’ll want to do this… your motor and pod may be bonded depending how the bolts are attached so you might pre maturely wear the leg anodes out. Properly sealing the holes will help prevent the powder coating from peeling away. Use an aluminum anode not zinc.

You can't do anything to a powder coated pod. You can hope that the bolts mounting the engine have contacted enough to where the engines zinc is bonded to the pod

You can't do anything to a powder coated pod. You can hope that the bolts mounting the engine have contacted enough to where the engines zinc is bonded to the pod
I agree this should have been done... A tab on and left bare so you could put a zinc on .. Sorry this build has been a nightmare for you Duroboat.

Hey Duroboat, I had a pod intalled on my boat a few years ago by Jenkins marine and I was advised that the zincs arent neccessary but I wonder if that is true. Mine is also powder coated and I am in the same boat as you. Its cheap insurance to avoid corrosion issues and I plan to use Bryces strategy of drilling and tapping into the powder coats to try and get a solid connection to the pod. I realize this may create problems with the powder coat chipping off however I feel like that is a lesser evil compared to my engine and trim tab zincs rapidly deteriorating.

I am still trying to decide if I would rather grind and weld them on as this would keep the pod sealed below the water line, Its a very hard decision.

Dan

Hey Duroboat, I had a pod intalled on my boat a few years ago by Jenkins marine and I was advised that the zincs arent neccessary but I wonder if that is true. Mine is also powder coated and I am in the same boat as you. Its cheap insurance to avoid corrosion issues and I plan to use Bryces strategy of drilling and tapping into the powder coats to try and get a solid connection to the pod. I realize this may create problems with the powder coat chipping off however I feel like that is a lesser evil compared to my engine and trim tab zincs rapidly deteriorating.

I am still trying to decide if I would rather grind and weld them on as this would keep the pod sealed below the water line, Its a very hard decision.

Dan
Thinking the same thing. Can you grind and weld a couple of threaded studs on with the motor on the pod? Is there a chance circuitry would be damaged? Profisher posted a while back how he has the trim tabs and pod all grounded together with 10 guage wire. Maybe he could show it again.

Id be very worried about drilling a hole into a pod kinda scary. espcially if its ot done right and it fills up with water down the road.
For the lil amount its moored i wouldnt worry, any boat that sits I would be more worried.
You want a REALLY good grounding spot. To be advised that alumn doesnt need zinzs is not good. anything to prevent corrioson in my books is good.
I to have all my trim tabs and pod link in with SS wire as well...

the drill/tap method works great go slow and use oil and masking tape when drilling so as not to develop a lot of heat that causes issues for the coating cold water also works just fine with aluminum. if you are 100% confident your coating is sound your probably ok but the fact is it’s going to flake and once it does your pod now is the anode and will begin to corrode I repair corroded aluminum it’s a total pita any welding after powder coating is going to ruin the coating in a large area too much heat. Your outboard motor lower mounting holes are below the waterline and they should never leak if sealed correctly don’t stress it.

the drill/tap method works great go slow and use oil and masking tape when drilling so as not to develop a lot of heat that causes issues for the coating cold water also works just fine with aluminum. if you are 100% confident your coating is sound your probably ok but the fact is it’s going to flake and once it does your pod now is the anode and will begin to corrode I repair corroded aluminum it’s a total pita any welding after powder coating is going to ruin the coating in a large area too much heat. Your outboard motor lower mounting holes are below the waterline and they should never leak if sealed correctly don’t stress it.
Brando is correct. You already have holes. I typically buy a large divers dream, stainless mounting plate and bolt that on the pod. you can make your own mounting plate as Brando suggested. Like others said, run-heavy stainless wire from the Engine, jack plate etc to the diver's dream Anode. Do not use zink, go aluminum anode :)

Don't stress about holes below the water line. It won't leak if you do it right this is not a space ship after :)

Good luck!

Freaking awesome feedback guys! I’m still undecided but have a wealth of info to contemplate and now know there is no easy answer!

What kind of tabs do you have?
I’m not sure.. I’m assuming they are original to the boat (2000) but the last owner covered them with bottom paint

Attachments

• 061A9B35-D7E8-4891-98DD-C6B224CD12C2.jpeg
    061A9B35-D7E8-4891-98DD-C6B224CD12C2.jpeg
    224.2 KB · Views: 55
Back