Where can A guy catch someTanner Crabs!

kronic_fisherguy

I am wondering if anybody targets Tanner Crabs around Naniamo to Victoria and what is the secret to catch a few of these tasty critters!!(Seeing prawning is a no go!)
kronic

quote:Originally posted by kronic_fisherguy

I am wondering if anybody targets Tanner Crabs around Naniamo to Victoria and what is the secret to catch a few of these tasty critters!!(Seeing prawning is a no go!)
kronic
I am curious what is a tanner crab.I have never heard of them.I am sure prawning is open off nanaimo.

They were featured on the show, "The Deadliest Catch". They fished for Alaskan King crabs, Ophelio and Tannar crabs on the show.

They have been caught on our coast out past the 'Big Bank' close to the deep edge off Ucluelet/Tofino in 60- 90 fathoms of water.I've never heard of a Sporty catchin one thou.[^]Good Luck

Worked on the survey for the Tanner's off the west coast from Washington up through the Charlottes. You'll need one MEAN pile of rope, as the majority we located in the winter months were down 700 feet plus! And of course, a rather sea worthy boat! Their habitat is over the edge of the Continental Shelf, which is a fair ways offshore. And of course the weather out there simply ain't great through the winter...

I'd suggest you consider another target ;)

Cheers,
Nog

They can be caught in 25 fathoms around the top end of Knights inlet. A guy on Malcolm Island gave me a couple last week he caught.They were sure tasty.He told me they move around alot.Hmmmm I better check the regs I thought they were closing prawning in this area after Dec.1
kronic

knights inlet is glacier fed, so the water is super cold and thats what they like. Probably wont find any around this area, unless like nog said ya bring a s#@t load of rope, i have heard that they generally hang out in 600-11000 feet of water. but hey anything is worth a shot when you can enjoy a day on the water.
good luck if you try:D

I caught a tanner last year at 200' in Pylades Channel between Decourcy and Valdes. It really must have worked hard to get in, as it was almost the size of my commercial style trap! It must have just moulted, as there was hardly any meat - I felt kinda bad[V] The kids thought it was pretty cool though!

I catch them fairly regularly, but as mentioned earlier they do move around a lot. When they are in, it seems the dungeness fishing gets skinny. In recent years have seen an increase in tanners and box crabs. I always throw down a big crab trap with my prawn traps, at 300 feet, the crabbing is excellent.I am fishing inside waters north of Port McNeill though, not down south.

Maybe that is why we have to listen to the safety notice to shipping on every South Coast weather report about the crab trap buoys off Ladner, West of the Canoe Pass buoy, in the Northbound shipping lane. The Tanner hole. just joking.

Man you guys fish deep for your crab. I did hear this summer that a bud did very well about 5 miles South of that Canoe Pass buoy with his trap at 140 feet. No Tanners though. The funny part was, he didnt know how close the border came to the ferry terminal until we found his beauty spot on the chart.

I've got the odd tanner in osborne bay off crofton.
Small one's though .I would imagine you would need a trap with large doors for the bigger ones. Thought about modifying an old trap to see what happens .

Big Joe where is home base!?I have been told you need big openings in your commercial sized traps for the Tanners and I have also been told that the Tanners are not as aggressive as Dungeness crabs so they stay away from each others turf.
kronic

Yup, it seem to me when the dungeness get skinny, I catch more tanners, but it can change from day to day. I never get a mixture though, it's either tanners or dungeness. I use a comm crab trap, with a modified door with tire balancing wieghts swedged on counter balance...Box crabs get in, lots of small ones(a good sign), but the odd honker... You can alter yor trap for box crabs specifically if you know you are in the zone..the tanners I get are not huge, usually about 12 to 14 inch legs, as for muddy bottoms...... yup, yup, yup..!

how many can fit in a regular trap??????? not many i bet. a pot puller would be handy if your thinking of fishing for opilio's

i've seen bodys of tanner crabs on whaleboat island(off ruxton island) before. Mink were eating them, there was dozens of long legs and claws scattered in piles all along the shore.
never caught one in a trap though.
its really odd seeing as how deep they prefer to live that a mink could get access to one.

i've caught more than a few in the southern end of Stuart Channel.they were always a by-catch when going after Dungies.now, and early into the new year were productive.we always crab in deep water 120'-280'...hope this is of some help.

i dont know how they would manage to get into a commercial sized dungie trap[:p]some crafty work on their part.The legs alone i've seen are about 6 or 8 inches long.

Back