We lost a great one - Tyee Club Board Member and Salmon Supporter/Lover

Pippen

Hey Guys/Gals,

I see a number of threads from time to time about "good ones" we lost.

My Dad's first cousin who is my cousin, be it first/once removed or second cousin sadly passed a week ago on her 71rst birthday.

She was a LONG time member of the Tyee Club and sat on the board, also very active with PSF and many other organizations up here. Although she lived in Seattle her heart was in British Columbia. I had a very close bond with her (fishing will do that ;)) and was honored to be one of the pall bearers at her service down in Seattle on Tuesday. She battled MS for MANY, MANY years and still as recent as last fall was out in the Tyee Pool doing what she loved best.

Sadly when I was in Campbell River it was the last time we got to sit, share a drink/dinner and have many a laughs as we looked out at a horrid squall battering the "pool". I can't even describe how much of a character she was, her love of life and her HUGE love of fishing. Even with barely being able to walk she'd be standing in a river casting a fly, spending time in the Tyee Pool or on one of her many "girls trips" to Dolphins North or Eagle Point Lodge.

Another cousin who spoke at her funeral told of this story which I thought was an outstanding one and wanted to share with you all as we are all like minded and I think can appreciate a good fishing tale.

Sadly......we sounded one ring of the bell and sent her to a better place on Tuesday.

RIP Cousin Roanne; a more lovely fisherwoman and woman I have never met. I'll miss her dearly as she was one of those who was taken far too soon with so much living left to do. :(

http://www.tyeeclub.org/tyee_club_story_dunbar.htm

A Tyee Fising Story and "THE BELL"
It was the beginning of the 10th Anniversary of the Ladies Invitational Tournament - August 26, 1996.

It was dark and quiet with an air of excitement surrounding an unusual group of women as they headed down the docks at April Point Lodge and into the boats to venture across Discovery Passage. This was a very special day and celebration.

We were excited, full of anticipation and anxious to get our rods in the waters of the Tyee Pool and begin our celebration of 10 years of friendship and fishing together. Humming a melody of one of the songs we had made up to amuse ourselves during the “weed” tides, we were off, guides and gals together, in pursuit of the elusive Tyee!

We anchored our boats by the Argonaut Wharf and maneuvered, carefully, ourselves into the rowboats. A hush fell as everyone picked up their rods, said a prayer to the Tyee God and the rhythm of rowing began.

Dawn broke on what turned into a magnificent day and we rowed to and fro until the water “quit” and we all headed for The Tyee Club, a warm fire, breakfast and a coveted cup of coffee.

This was a very special day for the “Ladies”. We were going to present the Tyee Club with a gift from “ The Ladies” of a beautiful antique bronze ships bell that had been found for us by Carl, Gay Meitzen’s husband. The Tyee Club Board and the news media were going to join us around the campfire for breakfast and for the presentation of the bell that was planned for about 9am. The excitement mounted for all of us but particularly for Gay and me.
Gay was to present the history of the bell and I was to give the Dedication of the Bell (I was the only one who had not missed a Tournament during the 10 year period and our guide, Joe was the only guide who had not missed a Tournament so this was quite an honour).

Gay and I were partners for this tournament, and like me, she was a bridesmaid. We both had caught fish in the pool – 29 ¾ etc. but had not been able to register one. Joe Watson, was our guide (lucky us!) and had decreed that he was going to row us both into the Club this year! What a team we were.
bell_sunset_sm.jpg
The Presentation and Dedication of the Bell went beautifully until I choked up on the words that I had included in the Dedication – they were special to me – “All to the end that our brave Tyee may have a fair fight, and that the men and women whom we meet wearing the coveted emblem of the Tyee Club shall be known as worthy champions of the rod”. However, we got through this and R.D. Berger thanked all of us and introduced the “new” tradition at the Tyee Club – the bell was uncovered, the clapper was attached and the bell was admired by everyone. It was beautiful – glistening in the sun – everyone hoping to ring it! The new tradition began - 3 rings for 30 pounds, 4 for 40 pounds, 5 for 50 pounds and 6 for 60 pounds! We could hardly wait to hear the “bell” ring out over the water!! We, our Ladies Group, were very proud of ourselves and very excited at the prospect of hearing our new bell ring on the next tide!

Off to the row boats – it was about 10 a.m. and the tide looked perfect and not too weedy. The rods went in the water with our beautiful, new Stewart spoons that were engraved with our names on them. These had been a gift to each of us from our guides and had been specially “tweaked” by Joe. Gay, Joe and I were really “high” with excitement and anticipation - talking gaily, concentrating and hoping for the rod to dip or better yet to bury its tip in the water!

We were in Joe’s favorite place and WHAM!!!! Down went my rod - there was a fish and it wasn’t an undersize. I was scared to death I was going to loose it and that fish sure tried. It was the famed “weed tide” and held true to its reputation. At one point I was sure we’d loose - the fish swam through the kelp and then up to the surface and my line looked like clothes line heavily laden with many yards of kelp and weed hanging from it. With Joe’s determination and guidance, Gay’s soothing and encouragement, a blessing from the Tyee God and a great fight, Joe netted our fish which was indeed a Tyee! The hooting, hollering, hugging and laughter from our boat should have scared off any thing within ear shot. We were all just about in tears. I was mute I was so overwhelmed. It was 10:30 am.

Joe headed for The Clubhouse and as we looked around us we saw that our whole group and many of our pals had stopped fishing and were also heading to the Clubhouse. They all wanted to participate in celebrating. That is friendship!

Joe's Mom and Dad met us on the beach with a bottle of Champagne and we were all so giddy we could hardly get up the beach, particularly me – I was shaking, stunned and full of wonder! It really hadn’t sunk in yet!! Gay, Joe and I hugged and hugged and hugged – Dale Fay, my oldest chum and childhood friend, held me tight and we both choked up a bit. I had spent 10 years + in this quest and the reality hadn’t sunk in yet!
Joe hung the fish on the scale and it weighed 34 (I say ¾) and ½ pounds. More hugs, champagne, congratulations and pictures. Oh how wonderful it was to be surrounded by friends and good wishes! I was now a member of the famed Tyee Club of British Columbia, something I had desired for 12 years. Our fish was duly registered and only one thing remained.

I WAS TO BE THE FIRST TO RING THE BELL!!!!!!!!

It was immediately nicknamed the "Ro Bell" by my pals!

After calming down and resting a while, it was back in the boat – Joe still had something more to do – it was Gay’s turn!!! What a magical day and there is more, but that is another story! To be continued ……

Roanne Dunbar
Seattle, Washington

2009_Isfeld_Rev.jpg

She sounds like a dear old girl and a keen fisherwoman as well.
Always sad when one of our own leaves this world.
Hope she hook's the big one on her next journey.

Sounds like she was a helluva lady Pip. Sorry to hear about her passing, but her story was a great one. I always admire the gals who love to fish....

My condolences Scott. We truly did lose a great one by the looks of things. Thank you for posting.

Regards,
John

My Sincere Condolences too Scott.
Lost a little piece of History with her passing.

May the Waters always be Calm, and the Fish Hungry on the other side for her...

Sadly,
Nog

Scott,

Thanks for the story,it was an honour to read about this special gal. So nice when someone has a passion and you can hear it in their written word.
May your many excellent memories bring a smile to your face every time you think of Roanne.

I'll think of her again this year when I'm rowing the pool.

Maybe get one in her honour.

I'd like to ring that bell.

R.I.P. Roanne Dunbar.

Take care.

Back