Water in oil pan

Ok, heading out tomorrow to pull plugs, charge batteries and cross fingers. I have enough oil and filters to do 3 if needed. Risers replaced in 2020. Not sure the life expectancy of risers but I don't see much longer than 4 years so I am hoping for the best and expecting the worst.
Thanks for all for the information and guidance!

Watch out trying to turn over the engine with out removing the plugs. The starter clicking could mean the cylinder is water loaded and if your starter is strong enough you could bend a piston rod.
Yes, even in a car, from a leaky head gasket coupled with a month away at PVI, I bent a connecting rod in a 350 LT-1 so bad it jammed into the side of the cylinder and locked the whole assembly.

Ouch, I didn't realize the lifespan on risers was so short. I have an old ski boat that lives in freshwater for the summer. Its a 2001 and risers are original - isn't there an internal anode or something?

Quick update i'm out the boat now. Had water coming out of a couple cylinders on each bank.When I pulled the plugs. Call me weird. But I decided to taste the water to see if it was salt. it was fresh! My assumption is that water leaked in through the valve cover breathers that run to the carburetor. I pumped the water out, clean the plugs and she fired up.Sounds good right now. Going to change the oil and see if that is it or if there are riser, issues.

The breathers hoses are attached to the spark arrester, and they are facing slightly up. My assumption is water got behind the doghouse. Dripped on the spark arrester, and the hoses facing up worked as a funnel. Of course, I can't be one hundred percent sure. I will be redoing my risers and manifolds this offseason, either way, lol.

Back at the boat today. Oil level did not rise overnight. I spun the crank 720 degrees without issue. Hit the key and she fired right up. Huge relief compared to when I pulled the plugs and had water shooting put of 4 holes. Now I am quite sure the water made it's way I to to engine through the valve cover breathers. Unless the risers can leak periodically?

Thanks again for all the replies and advise! Great group of people here.

Valve cover does not lead directly to cylinders. It leads to valve train and would then need to get past valve stem seals to get into the cylinders. Do you have breathers on both sides? Did both cylinder banks have water, or just the breather hose side? I wouldn't rule it out, but also not definitive.

Maybe time to weather-proof that engine cover a little better.

Yes, I agree with that. My assumption is that the valve seals allowed the water to pass into combustion chamber? Not trying to be argumentative I am just dumbfounded how fresh water ended up on top of the cylinders. I tasted it and it didn't taste like sea water. A ran the engine up to temp yesterday for at least 30 minutes and changed the oil twice, today when I checked oil it was clean and same level as yesterday. I also cranked the engine over by hand today and it didn't lock up with water on the pistons. Then fired right up.
With having little experience with risers, is it common for them to fail and have sea water enter the chambers and then stop? Once the path has been created for sea water to enter the combustion chamber would it not continue?

Last edited:
Back