Water in oil pan

Yes, I agree with that. My assumption is that the valve seals allowed the water to pass into combustion chamber? Not trying to be argumentative I am just dumbfounded how fresh water ended up on top of the cylinders. I tasted it and it didn't taste like sea water. A ran the engine up to temp yesterday for at least 30 minutes and changed the pil twice, today when I checked oil it was clean and same level as yesterday. I also cranked the engine over by hand today and it didn't lock up with water on the pistons. Then fired right up.
With having little experience with risers, is it common for them to fail and have sea water enter the chambers and then stop? Once the path has been created for sea water to enter the combustion chamber would it not continue?

If the water entered the cylinders due to corrosion of the risers then yes, the water flow would continue until the risers are replaced.

If the water entered the cylinders due to backflowing through the exhaust piping due to the boat sitting unusually low in the water...that is a unique circumstance that shouldn't happen until the next time the boat is floating low in the water (which is hopefully never again).

Bad valve stem seals = burns oil. This shows up at startup with a cloud of smoke from unburnt oil in the cylinders, and you would also likely see oil on the water behind your boat at startup as well since any unburnt oil is vaporized and shot out of the cylinders/exhaust into the ocean.

Here's what you know:
- We had a massive rainstorm which flooded your bilge with rainwater and you also pumped out 3L from your oil pan (which would have been in the flooded area). It would be weird if this was all sourced back to cracked risers and the flooded boat was pure coincidence.
- All the water in the bilge oil pan doesn't explain water inside the cylinders (too high) - although it appears to be linked because you think it was rainwater, not salt water (cracked riser would be salt water)

Its a weird scenario - and I don't have a grand unifying theory. Watch it like a hawk for the next few outings - check oil level for water, open valve cover cap and look for moisture, I'd also plan to pull a few plugs before you start it. I'd definitely improve the weather protection on your engine housing. Best case scenario is that it was all rainwater.

Had the same issue this spring, water collected on top of the flame arrestor travelled down the centre bolt into the carb. Had to change the cover over the flame arrestor problem solved. My engine cover to back sits directly over the carb, I think the flame arrestor has a dish to it, tried different thinks to seal it, made a rubber flap to cover the carb. Can show pictures if required.

I could see it going in through the spark arrester stud but 3L worth is crazy. How much water was in the bilge, how low in the water was the stern, was this over a period of time.? Sorry didn’t go back to re-read the beginning

I just repaired an engine with water in the cylinders and the water had run down the stud in the center. I put a piece of hose on the stud under the cover to seal it.

Had the same issue this spring, water collected on top of the flame arrestor travelled down the centre bolt into the carb. Had to change the cover over the flame arrestor problem solved. My engine cover to back sits directly over the carb, I think the flame arrestor has a dish to it, tried different thinks to seal it, made a rubber flap to cover the carb. Can show pictures if required.

I never thought of the idea of the spark arrester bolt. Makes perfect sense. It makes the most sense actually.

Down the carburetor, through the intake runners, and into the cylinders that have the valves open.
Then around the rings to the oil pan? Or is the pan water from a different source?

Last edited:
Agree that water in the cylinder is more likely directly through the carb > intake valves. I still say water in the oil pan was most likely a failed seal (or no seal at all) at the bottom of the dipstick tube (which would have been underwater from the flooded bilge, and wouldn't show up as an oil leak under regular circumstances).

Last edited:
There is no way that 3 liters of water found its way into your oil pan through the top of the spark arrester or pvc hoses. Especially since (I assume) you have a doghouse covering the engine. Your oil pan was submerged so it either came in through dipstick oil pan connection or some other failed seal. Potential through your leg/exhaust system if your boat’s butt end started to sit dangerously low.
FYI, I’m not a marine mechanic but I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

All I know is that I've left the drain plugs out of my risers and round my boat for 15 minutes and came back and had water up to my valve covers and none of it got into my oil pan the only time I ever had water in my engine was when my risers failed and I had water in my cylinders so strange scenario I guess Anything could happen but you got pretty bad valve seals if water is leaking by you would know if you had water in there if you just open oil fill cap it should be rusty under there or at least some residual water in the cylinder head itself under the valve cover but it seems like a strange one no matter what

Back