Twin 150s? Suzuki or Yamaha

Bill 310

Crew Member
If any of you have any experience running either of these twins engine setups it would be helpful to hear about your experience.

One thing that seems to come up about the Suzuki twin over on the Hull Truth is the higher rate of fuel comsumption on the counter rotataing engine. Have any of you experienced this with either brand?

Did you do anything extra when installing your motors?

Are you trolling on one of the singles or using a kicker?

Many thanks

I have twin 2018 suzuki 150s on a glacier bay cat. I am very happy with the performance and power. The 150s are a tuned down 175 and have incredible torque. I troll on one without the new troll feature and have had no problems catching fish!

I would be asking a marine mechanic who has had both apart for their pros and cons views on how they are put together and the problems they see in the shop.

If any of you have any experience running either of these twins engine setups it would be helpful to hear about your experience.

One thing that seems to come up about the Suzuki twin over on the Hull Truth is the higher rate of fuel comsumption on the counter rotataing engine. Have any of you experienced this with either brand?

Many thanks
At the end of the day, it’s all about your local dealer and the quality of service. Suzuki is incredibly efficient on mileage but if your local dealer can’t supply the motors or has a bad reputation for after sales service, then I’d be looking at other options.

^^^^^ as BCRingo said, I am personally not brand loyal, I am deal loyal, it’s all about the service, they all break, some get a good, some not. Dealer all the way!

you might want to think of long term use and service, so you may want to consider what shop you will be using for service and what engines they deal with most often.

both suzuki and yamaha have fairly even reputations and stats now, its splitting hairs for the most part, Im preferential to yamaha simply becuase I have worked on more of them and seem to have less issues than the mercs in my experience, Ive only worked on a handful of suzuki's because simply because they are less common where I am. But that being said recently I've really only heard good things about them within the industry

You can get the yamaha with fly by wire DEC controls, pretty sure the zuke is mechanical... that would be my deciding factor.

Suzuki has both options as well, I’m partial to Suzuki 6 year warranty and lower purchase price.

I stand corrected, in fact they now have FBW 115hp and 140hp models too! Wish I knew that a few months ago...

If the 140 is enough for your hull it might be worth a look, as that's a big weight saving over the 150.

I've personally ran Yami 150's for a long time for work & play. In single and dual applications, excellent motors. Unless there was a local deal support issue that would be my vote. For me buying new the only thing that would change my mind would be changes in the industry I may not be aware of
- power to weight ratio
- to some degree price (long term ownership mitigates $ difference to get the right motor) fuel burn rates are more important when comparing $
- standard and available warranties

I feel fly by wire is more of an issue for the person rigging the boat than the owner (unless you're doing the install) Sea trial both, some folks don't like the "feel" of some fly by wire systems.

PS - I always troll with a kicker on personal boats, run up the hours on a $3000 motor instead of a $20,000 motor, fuel burn is a non issue really as long as your kicker can maintain your batteries (down rigger, electronics, stereo etc). Also good to use it so you know how your vessel handles under kicker power (I'll even dock with it sometimes) & run fresh fuel through it to ensure it runs good should you need it if your primary propulsion fails.

Last edited:
This has been a very helpful thread. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and ideas.

Coming as no surprise thereappears to be a scarcity of motors this year. We were at a local dealer yesterday and I asked about the new Suzuki 115/140 with fly by wire with DEC controls. They were not available in Canada this year because of shortages (consider the US a test bed for us ) but they will be available according to the Dealer we spoke to sometime in the late fall when the 2022 motors are introduced.

It is going to be an interesting decision a lot of people will be facing

a) chose smaller lighter motors ( a savings of 234 pounds per pair) with advertised better fuel economy and give up a total of 20hp, or

2) go with a known quantity of the 150hp carry the extra weight, perhaps with worse (or better) fuel economy, and more (I am assuming) torque.

Last edited:

Many thanks
I run twin 2004 Yamaha 150’s and have approx 1000hrs on both . Zero issues so far. I troll with them as I don’t have a kicker. I will run one for a few hours and then switch over. I have no idea if the counter rotation burns more fuel ? I didn’t even consider that being a “thing” I can’t see how it could . Main advantages of the twins for me is handling and power . Disadvantages , everything costs double or more than double . Yamaha like to bend you over on “counter” rotation parts. Last week I replaced the skeg anodes. Regular rotation was $23. The counter rotation was $64....Yamaha OME Zinc.

This has been a very helpful thread. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and ideas.

Coming as no surprise thereappears to be a scarcity of motors this year. We were at a local dealer yesterday and I asked about the new Suzuki 115/140 with fly by wire with DEC controls. They were not available in Canada this year because of shortages (consider the US a test bed for us ) but they will be available according to the Dealer we spoke to sometime in the late fall when the 2022 motors are introduced.

It is going to be an interesting decision a lot of people will be facing

a) chose smaller lighter motors ( a savings of 234 pounds per pair) with advertised better fuel economy and give up a total of 20hp, or

2) go with a known quantity of the 150hp carry the extra weight, perhaps with worse (or better) fuel economy, and more (I am assuming) torque.
I had a pair of Suzuki 140s prior to getting 150s , the difference is night and day. The 140s are basically amped up 115s , the 150s are tuned down 175s. thus the weight difference. on the 140s i struggled to hit 25 knots at 5500 rpm. With the 150s I cruise at 25 knots at 4100 rpm and can hit 40 knots given the right conditions at 5500 rpm. It is a different boat with 150s.

Suzuki has both options as well, I’m partial to Suzuki 6 year warranty and lower purchase price.

Note that the Suzuki warranty is 3-years from Suzuki and then another 3-years from a third-party insurer. Not quite the same as all 6 years being manufacturer-backed.

I'd agree with the recommendations about dealer support. Find a dealer that you like working with, and also check for dealer representation in the areas where you'll be operating.

Good luck

Note that the Suzuki warranty is 3-years from Suzuki and then another 3-years from a third-party insurer. Not quite the same as all 6 years being manufacturer-backed.

I'd agree with the recommendations about dealer support. Find a dealer that you like working with, and also check for dealer representation in the areas where you'll be operating.

Good luck
Thanks PE,

so not to confuse things I will start a new thread on lower mainland dealer reccommenedations

Around 12 for the motor. It was 17 with controls, prop, install, guages, taxes etc.

Back