Thoughts on buy a 16' open silverstreak

I don't miss the hewes much but I do miss they stabicraft. I'm don't know what I will buy all I know is I need to do it quick I'm heading to bamfield on the 7th of June. A new 16 silverstreak and some new rain gear may be the ticket.

That Lund looks like junk, at least as far as the saltchuck is concerned … .080 and .060 gauge aluminum and carpet everywhere. May be ok for bass, walleye and pike back east but not a west coast boat.

Ukee

If I buy a 16 it will be a silverstreak not a Lund. I'm going to beat it down logging roads so rivets are not going to work for me.

That Lund looks like junk, at least as far as the saltchuck is concerned … .080 and .060 gauge aluminum and carpet everywhere. May be ok for bass, walleye and pike back east but not a west coast boat.

Ukee

That Lund would do just fine for the two trips a year he makes to the coast to fish inside waters. Seems like it will be used more on inland lakes and rivers anyways.

Personally I wouldn't buy a tiller boat for the salt chuck but that's what he's looking for. Easy to tow, tiller, aluminum and light. If he was asking about a full time west coats offshore tank it would be a different story.

I might buy a 20 foot aluminum boat I haven't decided I just like the idea of easy and simple. I'm only on the ocean 8-10 days a year and them Okanagan kootenay and osoyoos lake

Fully appreciate the intended use but there are a lot of smaller open boats, like the 16 foot Silverstreak JAC is considering, that are a lot more appropriate than that particular lund model. Lund, G3 and Lowe all make car toppers and jon boats with .100 gauge aluminum and many models that aren't carpeted bow to stern. Again, that particular boat is clearly aimed at the cottage country folk looking for something in between a full on bass boat and a utility boat to target their multitude of species in their small cottage lakes. Okanagan Lake, like Shuswap and Adams where I spend a lot of my boating time, are like inland seas. I wouldn't settle for a boat that uses .060 gauge aluminum when there are so many better options.

Ukee

I like the tiller steering on my 17' whaler. It's a comfy ride from the stern. Bow locker has some spare cannonballs to keep it down a bit, especially on take off. If I don't put a cooler up front, I can see fine. Great boat control near kelp beds, and when surfing swells. If you tighten the steering and throttle it will track straight and maintain speed when fishing solo and messing with gear. Not much boat above the water line to catch wind. Aluminum would be cool for beaching which I don't do. I'm thinking 20' BW Outrage converted to tiller next time. If I can't get out of the weather with a cabin, I want more room to fish than a center console gives.

I vote for the SilverStreak as you know? Lol However it is my second boat like we discussed. A great rig for certain fishing conditions. No boat does it all so I say buy several? Lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 251
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 243
I vote for the SilverStreak as you know? Lol However it is my second boat like we discussed. A great rig for certain fishing conditions. No boat does it all so I say buy several? Lol

Yes I know this very well. Most people I have talk with are steering me away from the 16' they think it will limit where I can fish and maybe dangerous. I don't know fishing within 5 miles or hardy or bamfield is not to far but maybe I'm wrong.

I did Bamfield with a 14' lund ssv. It's great playing a fish in an open boat and you really feel part of the environment. I had that boat out in water I don't like much in my 21', So you can do a16' just not as comfortable in the rain. I got lucky with the weather when I was there and fished the nook to the wall mostly and it was great. One of my favorite all time trips. The fishing helped. Northern Coho double headers to 20lbs, manual riggers, by myself with an 8 month old German Shepherd pup on the bow taking it all in. What a trip!

Ya I know the open boat has a different feeling and the silver streak is a fair bit bigger than a Lund. It depends on who you speak with I guess I'm a little nervous on the idea but I need to pull the trigger soon

Ya I know the open boat has a different feeling and the silver streak is a fair bit bigger than a Lund. It depends on who you speak with I guess I'm a little nervous on the idea but I need to pull the trigger soon

You could always just rent a boat for this trip. That way you won't have to sell it in a few months if you change your mind..... oh right, never mind.

Ya I like to buy and sell. But my wife not so much haha she puts up with me as long as the bank account keeps going in the right direction

You obviously know you're way around boats and likely buy and sell right. Otherwise, you'd probably be divorced. Looking forward to pictures of the new boat.

Ya I have a few picked out from 16-23 feet I would love to buy the 16' but I'm having such a hard time doing it. I may buy a cc or even a cuddy but it will be metal and hopefully a nice boat. The new 16 silverstreak is one slick little fishing boat. And yes I have done pretty well with most of my boats I have made money on 7 of the last 9 boats . Nothing to big just a little bit here and there but if you count the number of hours of work wow its a big number. But it's my hobby I work on boats as much or more than I fish and I would like to change this.

Ya it's brand new that is also not a great idea if I will flip it will be a loss forsure but I hope to find one that I love and I will keep it. I have never owned a CC and they would fish really well so maybe that what I will buy.

Back