Things you see at the boat launch

Highlight of last year at Vanier was a dozen boats waiting to load on their trailers at low tide while some guy in a sailboat and a crew of 6 took literally 30+ minutes to push off while taking up most of the dock, and blocking half the ramp. Once he was finally ready, he spent another 10 minutes getting his motor running, then another 5 letting it warm up. I’ve got a pretty long fuse, but can’t say the same for everyone else. This was when only 1 ramp was open, and I think the rowing club was taking up the other half of the ramp. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Highlight of last year at Vanier was a dozen boats waiting to load on their trailers at low tide while some guy in a sailboat and a crew of 6 took literally 30+ minutes to push off while taking up most of the dock, and blocking half the ramp. Once he was finally ready, he spent another 10 minutes getting his motor running, then another 5 letting it warm up. I’ve got a pretty long fuse, but can’t say the same for everyone else. This was when only 1 ramp was open, and I think the rowing club was taking up the other half of the ramp. 🤦🏻‍♂️
There was a guy who would tie his sailboat to the dock, high centre it on the keel and wait for low tide. Originally I thought the boat was abandoned, or maybe the owner got caught by surprise on a low tide - but then I heard he did this all the time to do work below the waterline (his own personal drydock). Can't have been good for the keel, and not a friendly move taking up 1/3 of the entire dock... IMG_7398.jpg

Believe me, you wouldn’t have. Dude was way too angry and aggressive. All I’m going to say is sometimes people deserve the things that happen to them.
I went through the "angry guy" experience at Cowichan Bay. He's alone and got his boat sideways on the ramp, with the wind and waves helping it along. I volunteered to lend a hand to get the stern back to the dock so he could load. I guess I wasn't performing to his expectations, listening to him screaming f-bombs in my direction. Not being his wife, I dropped the line and left him screaming at his boat.

Never trust a winch/cable, alway leave the safety chain on till boats backed into water , and always put safety chain back on after loading boat and before pulling the ramp
All boat ramps should have a place to sit so you can enjoy burger and a beer and watch the spectacle.
China Creek had a great "viewing area" for the ramp gong show with the speed bump ramp.

Encountered my first fuckwit of the season in CR yesterday. Shiny new boat, grandkids on board, guy comes ripping into the launch area at low tide yelling at everyone else who was already there about how stupid they are for causing him a few minutes delay. I assume he was just a miserable old man who somehow got skunked amidst a million coho. If you are going to treat people like that at the boat launch, do everyone a favour and sell your boat. All types of experience and skill levels out there, don't be a C U Next Tuesday.

Encountered my first fuckwit of the season in CR yesterday. Shiny new boat, grandkids on board, guy comes ripping into the launch area at low tide yelling at everyone else who was already there about how stupid they are for causing him a few minutes delay. I assume he was just a miserable old man who somehow got skunked amidst a million coho. If you are going to treat people like that at the boat launch, do everyone a favour and sell your boat. All types of experience and skill levels out there, don't be a C U Next Tuesday.
I learned, long ago, that when the ramp is really busy, just head back out for a bit and enjoy more of what you went for.

I first launched there 25 years ago. I would have waited a bit or gone to the other side
the other side launch is not avalible unless you moorage on the other side. that will change in the near future as we hear the other side is selling. Yea

the other side launch is not avalible unless you moorage on the other side. that will change in the near future as we hear the other side is selling. Yea
Used to be able to launch there for 10 bucks if someone was around. If not launched anyway.

Used to be able to launch there for 10 bucks if someone was around. If not launched anyway.
The owner has been taking his nasty pills for a couple years now, trust me you cannot launch there unless your mooring

I would never support Telegraph Cove RV and Marine. Had my own experience with them years ago. Rather use the old launch on a higher tide. ....sidenote, that RV park is hideous. Zero trees to block neighbors, just a view of RV pads and campers. Same experience when you camp at walmart.

Back